Google Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 30, 2017

3.4

107 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Boston, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

It is an OA and Survey. People should do the OA first and then do the survey. The OA contains two problems. The first one is easy to answer and the second one is very long and hard to understand. You shoud use DFS to answer the second question.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google in January 2017.

Interview

First round phone interview after the online OA, I got two questions for the phone interview and they are easier than I expected, all easy level questions in leetcode. However, I have a bug for the second question and didn't find it by my own. Got rejected after a week.

Interview Questions

• Data structure and easy algorithm questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Madison, WI) in January 2017.

Interview

The recruiter will setup a time where you can take the Snapshot Survey (~20min) and coding sample (1 hour) over a 2 week period. If they like that response, they will setup 2 phone call interviews and then if they like those, they will invite you on site.

Interview Questions

• I am unable to share the questions from the coding sample.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google in January 2017.

Interview

3 rounds. Where 1st round is an exam. Second round call. Third round call. Nice interesting questions were asked. Algorithms were asked. I had to write two codes in 45 mins. A good expxerience.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Total process took almost 2 months. One telephonic, followed by the onsite (5 interviews). During this process 5 times recruiters changed. Each time they told me different thing about the reference. Last one said no reference was needed till I'm getting an offer. I took preparation for 1+ month (maths, algorithm, data structures, solving problems from leetcode, glassdoor, reading papers on GFS,map reduce and many more). Interview questions were difficult (as expected from Google) but I solved all of them reasonably fast (from my perspective). 10 days after the interview recruiter told me my data structure/algorithm went well but there were some problem in the coding part of the interview, due to that I was rejected by hiring committee and asked me to reapply in 12 months. This feedback is mostly useless as I code every day at work which are reviewed by peers and I practiced a lot for this interview as well. So I don't know what went wrong in coding part. I don't know if this much time investment worth it or not. I'll probably not reapply in Google.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA, but they were on Graph/DP/String manipulation/Bit manipulation/Encoding-decoding and some design problems.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter who asked basic algorithms questions and set up an phone interview with a engineer that took place about 2 weeks later. The recruitment screen took about 30 minutes and was a pleasant conversation overall. The phone interview was about an hour long and consisted of coding over a shared google doc. Had two phone interviews because the first interviewer was very cold and unpleasant. Sounded like he didn't want to be conducting the interview at all. Told the recruiter about it and he went ahead and scheduled another interview with another engineer who was much nicer and made the process less nerve wracking.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

After a friend's referral, the HR contacted me very responsively. There is one round of phone interview basic algo. After phone interview is onsite. People are super nice! It is easy if you did ACM or info competition training/ things like math olympiad training before.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

I asked a friend to refer me. Recruiter called right after, very efficient. But to schedule the phone screen it took 2 wks. After another wk, they scheduled onsite for 5 rounds. Almost every round follow the same pattern, which is coding + coding/design, so basically around 10 questions in total. Only one interviewer asked for background questions.Overall, the interviewers are all very nice, except for one who spent most of his time reading phone, and had some wrong understanding of a basic data structure.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

There are 2 rounds of phone interview for internship. Each round has one question. I only remember one question which I will give below. Overall the interviewers are nice. I was finally stuck at the host matching phase.

Interview Questions

• given two strings where one string has exactly one more character than the other string. Code to find that additional character.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Guys,
        I am highly demotivated with what happened. I got a call from Google recruiter and after going through profile and initial screening 4-5 question (which was all correct as per recruiter himself), he was highly positive about the processing and so was I and told me that he is going to process the profile to hiring manager for next round.
      Out of nowhere, I received a call from the same recruiter, that they are not moving further ahead.

Recruiter manager has moved with different candidate? My resume failed? I am highly demotivated