Google Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 20, 2017

3.5

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Total process took almost 2 months. One telephonic, followed by the onsite (5 interviews). During this process 5 times recruiters changed. Each time they told me different thing about the reference. Last one said no reference was needed till I'm getting an offer. I took preparation for 1+ month (maths, algorithm, data structures, solving problems from leetcode, glassdoor, reading papers on GFS,map reduce and many more). Interview questions were difficult (as expected from Google) but I solved all of them reasonably fast (from my perspective). 10 days after the interview recruiter told me my data structure/algorithm went well but there were some problem in the coding part of the interview, due to that I was rejected by hiring committee and asked me to reapply in 12 months. This feedback is mostly useless as I code every day at work which are reviewed by peers and I practiced a lot for this interview as well. So I don't know what went wrong in coding part. I don't know if this much time investment worth it or not. I'll probably not reapply in Google.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA, but they were on Graph/DP/String manipulation/Bit manipulation/Encoding-decoding and some design problems.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

After a friend's referral, the HR contacted me very responsively. There is one round of phone interview basic algo. After phone interview is onsite. People are super nice! It is easy if you did ACM or info competition training/ things like math olympiad training before.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

I asked a friend to refer me. Recruiter called right after, very efficient. But to schedule the phone screen it took 2 wks. After another wk, they scheduled onsite for 5 rounds. Almost every round follow the same pattern, which is coding + coding/design, so basically around 10 questions in total. Only one interviewer asked for background questions.Overall, the interviewers are all very nice, except for one who spent most of his time reading phone, and had some wrong understanding of a basic data structure.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

There are 2 rounds of phone interview for internship. Each round has one question. I only remember one question which I will give below. Overall the interviewers are nice. I was finally stuck at the host matching phase.

Interview Questions

• given two strings where one string has exactly one more character than the other string. Code to find that additional character.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Guys,
        I am highly demotivated with what happened. I got a call from Google recruiter and after going through profile and initial screening 4-5 question (which was all correct as per recruiter himself), he was highly positive about the processing and so was I and told me that he is going to process the profile to hiring manager for next round.
      Out of nowhere, I received a call from the same recruiter, that they are not moving further ahead.

Recruiter manager has moved with different candidate? My resume failed? I am highly demotivated

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by Google. Had a phone screen, a coding challenge, a phone interview where I had to code on Google Docs, and then the final round in person at Mountain view

Interview Questions

• They basically focused on questions on data structures. They gave questions and I could use whatever wanted to solve those problems. It covered everything from arrays, lists, trees and graphs. Also, they are looking for impeccable coding standards in addition to solving the problem.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in May 2016.

Interview

I was given a coding sample (two problems to complete within I think an hour). I finished the first problem and almost finished the second. I passed and moved onto a phone interview round.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview was the well-known count number of islands in a grid problem   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process is pretty straightforward. There were two back-to-back interviews. I was a bit surprised by the first one's fast pace and mess it up. The second one was much better but it didn't help. I was rejected by call and email.
    The first one is mostly some small questions like the derived classes, binary search and dfs. The second one is much more complicated. Obviously I could finish it in 45 min, so the interviewer directly ask me to write only key functions. At last we were still in short of time, so the pseudo code was also allowed. I'm pretty sure I did well in the second part.

Interview Questions

• questions about derived classes, binary search
      application using tree traversal. It takes a bit time to write the whole code. So the interviewer allows me to write key functions instead.
      Answer Question

Fulltime Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I applied online and got an onsite interview at Pittsburgh office. The onsite consists 4 rounds in a row, plus one lunch. There will be no system design questions for new college graduates.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in February 2016.

Interview

Interviewer made a phone call, I talked about resume, projects, then started coding on Google Docs. During coding, I need to communicate with the interviewer and debugged my codes. At the end of the interview, you can ask the interviewer any questions you like.