Google Associate Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 15, 2017

3.6

99 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I was a Software Engineering Intern the previous summer. I chose to convert to an Associate Product Manager for full-time.

They made me jump through many hoops. 2 phone interviews, 2 onsite interviews, lunch, a 3 page essay and a final interview with Brian Rakowski (VP of Android in charge of the APM program). There are even more interviews if you're not converting from an internship.

Interview Questions

• Questions spanned estimation, analytical and product. Gave me the same vibe as consulting interviews in the context of tech. Some sample questions (not asked in my interview but same flavor):

- Estimate the revenue of XYZ company
      - Estimate the bandwidth needed if you built an optical fiber connection to a colony on Mars
      - Here's a data set. Something changed and here's the new data set. Explain what happened.
      - How would you improve XYZ Google product
      - What's your favorite product? How can you improve it?
      - How would you got about building a startup that does XYZ
      - Given unlimited resources, how you fix XYZ company
      - What's wrong with XYZ? If you were the CEO, how would you fix it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (San Jose, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Submitted my resume and received an email from a recruiter, who gave me some material to prepare for the interview. Then I was contacted by a recruiting coordinator, who set up my phone call. No one called me the first time around, but my recruiting coordinator quickly rescheduled me. Spoke to a second year APM. He asked me two product questions and then had me ask him about the role. I received an email two days later saying that I would not be advancing.

The questions were difficult and did not match what the recruiter and coordinator said to prepare for (ie. they said to focus more on analysis, question was about design).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Summer 2016 Internship Interview

Talk me through your resume. Felt like an ibanking "story" or "pitch". Sell this well. Your story is the thing that lasts if anything that gets you to the next round, whether it be starting your own company or small college business
    Q2: Design a vending machine for blind people or the visually impaired (45 minutes)

Associate Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Applied through jobs at Google, had a phone interview 1 week after I got contacted.
    Recruiters were amazing, really fast at everything.
    Did not have a good experience with the interviewer. Had a lot of sound problems with an echo of myself every so often, when I told the interviewer he basically ignored my comment and told me to keep going.

Interview Questions

• Questions were normal Product Manager, product design / review / analysis of features.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I received an email from a recruiter. From there we setup a pre-screening phone call. That seemed to go well and I received a phone interview with another product manager. I felt that I did poorly on that but I ended up getting an offer to come onsite, which was a great experience. They brought a group of twelve other candidates on site. We stayed at a nice hotel in San Francisco. The night before the interview we got to go out to dinner with group of current APM's, really great to talk with all of them. The next day I had 5 back to back interview with a lunch break, with different managers and engineers.

Interview Questions

• Product Design, Distributed Systems, Cultural, some programming   Answer Question

Associate Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I converted to full-time from an APMM summer internship, so I had three interviews in total: 2 to get into the internship program and 1 exit interview. I received my offer 3 weeks after the final day of my internship. All candidates go through three rounds of hiring committee, an exhaustive process. No one person can ever make a hiring decision on their own, which is a pretty cool institution in my opinion.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

The recruiters were timely, organized and efficient. Unfortunately, the process was not.

Started off with one phone interview, which I felt I did well on. Got scheduled for an on-site. This was a disaster.

First off, the hotel I stayed at was average at best, and not particularly close to Google. My flight was delayed, and I ended up arriving around midnight with a 10AM interview the next day.

I arrived prior to 10AM, registered at front desk, and waited for my "host". About 10 minutes later, he showed up (I had never interacted with him prior to that event which I found weird -- where was my recruiter?).

We went to an interview room, and waited with the host for the first interviewer. He was 30+ minutes late, pushing out the scheduling for the rest of the day. He didn't seem apologetic about being so tardy, and got started with the interview right away. He had been at Google for a few years as PM. The whole time I felt like he did not want to be there and he consistently interrupted my answers, and did not care to understand them. At one point I realized he was misunderstanding me, and asked if I could clarify on the whiteboard, but he was completely disinterested. He came off as arrogant, unmotivated, and unorganized.

The second interviewer was a world of a difference, he was an APM and took the time to hear me out and ask follow up questions. However, I didn't feel like this was a discussion at all, just me answering questions. Overall, I felt this interview went really well.

The third interviewer was also very different from the other two. He was really nice, but I felt like he was timing every question rather than trying to have a discussion as well. This interview was positive, but not as well as the second.

I had lunch with an APM where I asked him about his day-to-day activities and the project he's been most proud of launching. I was thoroughly not impressed by the answers.

The experience at Google HQ was also a bit disillusioning. It's a nice place, but a lot of things I heard about are definitely overrated.

Overall, there were a lot of great people involved in the process, and I'm sure it's a good place to work. Unfortunately the negatives were what left an impression on me.

Interview Questions

• What else can you use a pylon for? (you are not allowed to flatten/reshape it)   1 Answer

Interview

First had an on campus interview where they asked me mostly about my previous work experience. Then, was invited on-site. The day of interviews was grueling and exhausting but everyone I met was smart and nice. 6 back-to-back interviews with an informal lunch in between. After that big day, I had one additional interview before being asked to write an essay and meet with Brian. Pretty typical APM recruitment process! Overall, it was an interesting and fair set of interviews, but it took a long time, and I ended up having to turn down another offer just to wait on Google's decision

Interview Questions

• Estimate the number of lightbulbs in the U.S.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They insisted that I tell them what my other offers were . Ended up with a really great offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

HR will contact you first and you will be arranged a phone interview with a team member. After that, it will have a coding interview by the phone. Finally, you will be arranged an onsite interview in the new york office.

Interview Questions

• 1st question: If we set up an ATM machine in an airport, what are the key features.
      2ed question: list the product that you think is not good enough.   1 Answer

Associate Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Went it after applying online. Took about one week for someone to reply back for an interview. Went to their mountain view office and was warmly greeted. The interview itself lasted about 30 minutes. After waiting a week, I unfortunately did not get the position. The pleasant process was very nice.