Google Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 6, 2017

3.5

101 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google in January 2016.

Interview

2 phone interviews each with 2 coding problems

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm for a magician to shuffle the cards and get the exact card that he want   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google in December 2015.

Interview

Two phone screens were provided, they only ask technical questions. 45 minutes for each one. It seems that I didn't have enough experience in this field, so I didn't pass this stage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

2 phone interviews in a row, 45 minutes each.
    Each interview began with a brief introduction of one project in my resume and continued with technical questions.
    The interviewers were very nice to talk with.

Interview Questions

• 1. Given two strings, one is derived by adding some characters into the other. Find all these characters. Example: A='abc', B='aabcde', return ['a','d','e']
      2. Given an n×n matrix, each element is either 1 or 0. Find the largest sub-matrix that has 1s at all its corners. Time complexity requirement: O(n^3) Example: M=[0,1,1;0,0,1;0,1,1], return [[0,1],[2,2]] (the left-top and right-bottom corners).   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google in November 2015.

Interview

It was pretty standard. Two coding questions over the phone, stumbled on the first one, felt really good about the second one. Apparently not good enough. The recruiter did call me to tell me that I didn't get the job, when an email would have sufficed. Wasn't the best experience but certainly was not the worst.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Contrary to a lot of stuff I'd heard about the inefficiency of the Google process, the interviewing process went really well for me.

Started with a recruiter who goes over all your basic stuff and resume checking stuff and gives you a list of material to study. This is followed by 1-2 phone interviews and then an onsite if you make it past the phone screens.

The resources given by the recruiter and all of the stuff you can find online are more than enough to succeed at the interviews. However, you have to remember that they pick the smartest people in the world.

Personally, I did not make it past my first phone screen. However, I was offered an interview with their Engineering Residency program which sounds promising. Will update with a review for that after it happens.

Interview Questions

• Since I am still in the process, I would rather not say the specific question. Will update once it is over.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Was pretty short and straightforward.
    Got a call on the phone.
    Coded on a shared doc.
    Interviewer poses the question then explains it in detail to ensure you get the idea.
    They ask the complexity of your solution and if you can come up with a better solution.

Interview Questions

• Write a program to check if a number has rotational symmetry i.e is the same when rotated by 180 degrees. Ex 1691, 181, 11, 1001   5 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google in October 2015.

Interview

The experience is not good. The recruiter is late for the phone call and also hushes through the time. She seems really indifferent about your experience and not very patient about your struggling process. The questions are actually the unsolvable questions in the computer science world. Although I just knew that, I do not feel it appropriate to use those questions for interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Contacted by university recruiter, followed two weeks later by a technical phone screen (1 hour). On-site (four 45-minute technical interviews, plus lunch interview) scheduled two weeks after that.

The on-site interview questions were challenging but not impossible. Definitely should have practiced writing more code beforehand, particularly in the language of the interview (Java, for me). Conversations with the interviewers went well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in October 2015.

Interview

I did a quick phone screen writing pseudo code on a google document, then went in for a day of in person interviews.

Phone screen was easy, object orientation questions. I didn't even finish but got invited to come in.

In person interviews were much harder, one I couldn't even wrap my head around.

I didn't get an offer nor did I learn how each interviewer voted on me, which was frustrating (there were about 4 or five individual people).

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google in July 2015.

Interview

I got a mail from one of the recruiters first. Then there were two phone calls. First one was a basic phone interview where she explained the interview process. Next was a technical phone interview. I was asked to code on a shared doc. Generally they ask two questions. But I took a lot of time for the one itself. Hence was not selected. Questions are not that tough. Require coding knowledge.

Interview Questions

• how I could relate my project with google?   1 Answer