Google Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3,817 Interview Reviews

3.4

3,817 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Recruiter responded through email within 2 weeks of applying
    had one phone interview and one google hangout technical interview
    then went to on site interview at google headquarter for the entire day

Interview Questions

• got tested on algorithm and data structure
      web technology and software design   1 Answer

ASIC Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

It was easy interview and was a nice conversation. Only phone interview was not selected for onsite as they found better candidates. HR contacted and setup interview, gave an idea of how to prepare

Interview Questions

• * job experience and roles
      * how do u verify a scheduler
      * A block has inputs of network pkts and buffers/pipelines them through an RTL. RTL has counters which will tell how many packets are sent. How to verify? (Counters Read => count. Write => clear)
        How to verify counts? what cases will u test?
      * Given a sys verilog code for a memory model and asked to implement read/write/move functions and write checks   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google in June 2017.

Interview

I applied on the google website for the fall internship. They sent me a test on second day after applying. The test contains 2 questions. One is string questions and another one is number questions. The questions are average hard if you practice a lot. Then I was giveing a chance for phone screen interviews. There two separate technical interviews. They give easy questions first and then hard questions. Time complexity makes the questions hard.

Interview Questions

• Rearrange a array by given index (Smaller ones go left and bigger ones go right); find the longest consecutive increment sequence   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Google (Cambridge, MA) in June 2017.

Interview

two rounds. phone and on site interview
    I cannot tell too much about details.
    ok. I have to make it 30 words.
    Let me try again to get out of here.

Cloud Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google in June 2017.

Interview

Outside of the preliminary recruiter pre-screening, the interview process is broken into 4 core elements, each conducted by different individual(s): technical, cognitive, culture/fit, live presentation and demo.
    For technical interview, I'd suggest connecting with someone who can give you insight into typical technical questions to prepare for, e.g. understanding the xAAS model and differences - for example differences between IAAS and PAAS, how one might go about building a "cloud" solution for Snapchat, Twitter, Youtube etc. If there is a specialty focus, e.g. networking, HPC, etc., prepare accordingly. Refer to the job description for potential areas to focus on preparation.
    For cognitive piece, I didn't know what to prepare but they really were looking for something that had a "data focus". Questions that might get asked might be something like:
    - Where would I set up a sandwich shop if I were to set one up?
    In my opinion, you will need to answer the cognitive questions in a qualitative and quantitative manner, while discuss your (thinking) approach since they are looking to test the way you tackle problems on the spot. Before plunging right into the Q&A for the cognitive interview session, I would suggest asking the interviewer to provide a sample question and sample answer to get a sense of what they are looking for in terms of response.

I don't know the right or wrong way to answer the questions but truly believe that it can be "learnt". There is a lot of information out there on the web on preparing for a Google interview. My sense is you would be best advised to get some intel from a Googler Insider if possible or another way to to just keep trying - the absolute best way to prepare for a Google interview is to do more Google interviews, so if you fail, you can learn from your mistakes and improve!

Lastly, getting referred into Google in an easier to get an interview versus blindly applying.

Interview Questions

• - Where would I set up a sandwich shop if I were to set one up?
      - Which do you think has more advertising potential in [city], a flower shop or funeral home?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

2 rounds on campus interviews or 2 rounds of phone interview. Then 4 rounds of on site interview. The interview questions are mostly algorithms problem. The problems for me is the harder than most of the other companies I had interviewed with. But it is still solvable and you need to let them know you thinking process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (San Bruno, CA).

Interview

Initial communication view recruiter. Followed by technical phone screen, then a multi-hour on-site interview. Whole process takes weeks/months. It is very slow moving.

One interviewer did not know how to interview well. Asked the question but when questions were raised, failed to answer the questions and kept talking in circles. Was unable to answer questions due to lack of sufficient explanation.

Strategic Customer Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

The process was very involved (a total of 10 interviews) and quite lengthy (6 months from first contact to offer) but totally worth it. Interviews were very thorough but friendly and cordial. Everyone was very pleasant and helpful. Based on my personal experience almost everything I googled up about the Google hiring process turned out to be not [entirely] true.

Interview Questions

• Standard technology and and behavioral questions. Several coding sessions over Google docs.   1 Answer

Resident Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Interview process started with an initial "take-home" coding challenge. Following that were three technical phone interviews. Each were about 45 minutes long and the last two interviews were conducted back-to-back over a span of about 2 hours. The process ended with a final 45 minute video interview which was conducted over Google Hangouts, and involved a mix of technical and personal questions (my specific video interviewer said up front that the interview would focus more on technical questions, but your mileage may vary).

Interview Questions

• I was asked not to share details about interview questions, but topics covered included bit-level representations of integers, structures for efficiently storing strings, and building a simple parser/interpreter   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

Quite streamlined process. Got me straight to the in house. The full day of interviewing was okay. During the interviews I actually was disappointed - I expected well known "to see how you think" types of questions instead I received a bunch of typical CS problems that had to be done (coded) under about 30 mins time pressure. There was really no time to think ..you had to know how to solve it or know a similar problem. Overall 45 mins include questions from both sides and coding.

Advice to those who choose to interview with Google - study sample Interviews and read what exact questions they ask. No one cares how you devise a solution - they care for you to come up with an optimal answer within 5-10 mins.

Again, the reason why I was disappointed was that I expected them to evaluate people on the potential and way of thinking instead of "academic" CS knowledge of solutions to their questions.

Interviewed in NYC.

Interview Questions

• forward linked list, traverse in reverse . in O(1) memory   4 Answers
    • question with two dictionaries.   1 Answer