Google Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 19, 2017
7,443 Interview Reviews

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Phone screening - Scheduled for 45 minutes. 2 questions. 1. Simple array addition, 2. Divide and conquer. Answered both correctly within 25 minutes, Still trying to understand why I was rejected. No reason given!!!

Analytics Interview

Interview

I was contacted for a hole and the hiring manager would only offer one time slot at a time, so scheduling took awhile. He was a no show to our video interview twice, and then I never heard from them again.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Basic graph questions. Do DFS, now do recursive DFS, now do BFS on a grid, now tell me what's the runtime complexity of BFS...

It seems as if host matching is mostly based on whether the host likes you. I've had lots of experience + projects so that may have helped me more than I give credit for.

Frontend Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Chaotic, cold, disorganized, and condescending throughout. Expect to be treated as a pure commodity. To top things off promises of being fully reimbursed for the costs were not honored. If you honor your soul and integrity stay away from Google.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Detroit, MI) in June 2017.

Interview

I received a call from one of their recruiters to schedule a phone interview/screen with him. During the call, he was clearly reading from a script. After I provided an answer, he said nothing and went right to the next question. After he asked the last question, he read a script of what to expect with next steps and thanked me and said goodbye. Not impressed.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Google interviews were pretty much as described by others on glassdoor.

After emailing with a recruiter, I had a phone screen with an existing employee. He asked about my current work and a Google product I like. A few weeks later I had an onsite with five employees. Each tested a different area: 1 tech, 1 industry knowledge (I'm in cloud computing), 2 market sizing questions, 2 design questions. 2 of 5 interviews were video conferenced.

I was surprised by how different Amazon and Google approach interviewing.

Amazon digs deep into your past behavior. They ask questions like "Tell me about a time you were in X situation? How did you interact? How did you know things were going well? Not well? What happened when you did Y?" Amazon has research showing that behavioral interviews result in data fairly predictive of future performance.

Google doesn't appear to be interested in past experience. They ask questions like "How many X's are in the United States? Design a smart Y (unrelated to you industry). What's the market opportunity of [obscure google product]". Basically think-on-the-spot questions, best answered using whiteboards, napkin math, frameworks and metrics.

Both companies have their preferred way of assessing candidates. Both approaches have strengths and weaknesses.

After the onsite, the recruiter contacted me a week later with their decision. I appreciated that he phoned me to let me know.

Overall, it was an okay experience. Good luck, GCP.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

Telephonic interview followed by in person. I could not clear the telephonic interview. The entire process was professional and transparent. The recruiter gives you a heads up on the interview process , along with reference material which was very helpful.

Interview Questions

• Design a product. It could be anything.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

This was a phone screen after interacting with a recruiter. The recruiter was very accommodating and was able to articulate the vast amount of opportunities at Google. The recruiter was nothing short of excellent, and I would love to pursue an opportunity through them in the future.

Interview Questions

• How would you parse out user-inputted HTML tags from a string?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

It went well and the interviewer was nice. The question was not that hard and you have plenty of time to deal with it. The interviewer also asked about your personal projects so be prepared for it.

Interview Questions

• Just common data structure questions   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google in June 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a Google recruiter via LinkedIn. . She set up a phone screening with me on a day that I had off work.

For background, I am currently employed at another company as a Data Scientist. The contact from the recruiter was 100% initiated by her.

When the interviewer initially contacted me, she said that she had several positions open and wanted to gauge my interests and background generally. During the actual phone interview, it quickly became apparent that she had a very specific position in mind as a Software Engineer that she was recruiting for. I even explained during the initial contact that I am happy at my current job and it would take an exceptional offer for which I am a great fit to lure me away. The position she was looking for didn't sound like a good fit for my skills. I even asked her point blank if she had read my resume (probably not) or was just sending bulk messages when she contacted me. She assured me that she thought that I was potentially an excellent fit.

The recruiter then asked me a series of technical questions related to the position she obviously had in mind when she called me. I was caught somewhat off guard by the surprise interview (since she had claimed during our initial contact on LinkedIn that she just wanted to learn more about my background) and not in the mood to play along, so I didn't put much effort into answering her questions. It didn't help that the questions were in an area which isn't a good fit with my background, as I made clear earlier in the conversation.

After about 10 or so minutes of questions, she abruptly ended the interview by saying, "I don't think that you're ready for this position " (duh) and hung up the phone. She later sent me some prep materials to help me get ready for a "future" interview with Google.

I'll be sure to get right on that.

Interview Questions

• Rate the algorithmic complexity of various search algorithms, problems about quicksort, time complexity, python question, math question.   2 Answers