Google Interview Questions | Glassdoor

7,172 Interview Reviews

3.4

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First, a behavioral phone interview with an HR person. She was very nice and was very helpful throughout the whole process. Next came an online "code sample", essentially a technical interview without sitting with/talking to a person, which was relatively challenging but not terrible. Then they invited me to an onsite interview, and I was in the midst of the scheduling process when I got a call from my recruiter saying they had made all the graduating hires that they wanted to this year, and canceled the onsite. Very bummed about that but overall was a good experience

Interview Questions

• How would you implement the initial (filled) board for a Candy Crush-style game?   Answer Question

SRE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Kirkland, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Two phone interviews, one onsite. First recruiter was great, second recruiter always called 5-10 minutes late if they called at all. This drew the process out much longer than necessary. Onsite was scheduled in a phone room (roughly 5x5 with two chairs and a TV) so no whiteboard board until they rolled in a temporary one halfway through the day. Interviewers were great except for one, who did not review my application prior to the interview. That one asked me a question I already had on a phone interview, after letting them know, they asked a question about web development; I am a systems engineer. I was asked to come in for a second round of onsite interviews. I did not accept.

Engineering Resident Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Google in March 2017.

Interview

Stages:
    -Application / Resume
    -Interviews (2 phone interviews and 1 Hangouts interview)
    -Hiring Decision

If they believe you're a good fit, a recruiter will contact you after you submit your application / resume. (For me, they responded about a week after I was referred.) They will then schedule your interviews. There are 2 phone interviews, a Hangouts interview, and, sometimes, a 3rd phone interview. (I was required to do a 3rd phone interview; I suspect this might be because I did poorly on one of the previous phone interviews.) All interviews are technical and last 45 minutes. For the Hangouts interview, you might be asked a few short non-technical questions. After your interviews, they will contact you within about a week to tell you the hiring decision.

Interview Questions

• I can't give specifics due to the NDA, but they asked questions about data structures and algorithms, similar to what you might find at any other tech company.   Answer Question

Self-driving Car Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Several series of interviews. Only go through the first one. It is a group interview and they only ask a few questions but want detailed answers. The questions they ask you have multiple parts, so you really have to pay attention to what they ask. Very dense. And do not verge off topic because they really disliked that, as I saw with one of the guys in the interview

Interview Questions

• How much do you know about driving, cars, automobiles - how much do you drive, what conditions? Tell us everything about your driving   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

After completing the foobar challenge, I was contacted by a recruiter and asked if I would be interested in interviewing. The recruiter was fantastic, walked me through how the process would work, the time frame between each stage, and what I could do to prepare. Even though I flubbed the first round technical interview, the interviewer was very nice and did all he could to help me relax and stay on track to answer the questions.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google in March 2017.

Interview

Overall, I had a pleasant experience interviewing with Google. I had a great recruiter! He was extremely helpful, kind, and responsive.

My interviewer was not as great. I understand Google is trying to increase their sales force quickly and he had many candidates to interview, however it came off as if I was an inconvenience.

At this time, I had about 3 friends interviewing for the same role (they are aggressively hiring salespeople) each friend had received different feedback and outcomes. I studied by butt off from the feedback my friends gave and the helpful hints from my recruiter. I felt very well prepared.

Unfortunately, the majority of the questions he asked were geared towards Google business practices rather than Google Cloud products. ie "What segments of Google would you invest in?" "Explain ROI to your stakeholders" These questions are fine, however; in his feedback, he mentioned my lack of knowledge of Google products (which he never asked). I'm grateful I was able to interview with Google and I will continue to apply. However, next time I will be more careful in selecting a more tenured role.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter who set up a phone interview during which I coded in a google doc shared by the interviewer. Was then invited to an on-site interview in Mountain View, where I had four hour-long interviews and an hour-long lunch with a google employee.

There were a couple issues I had with the process.

1) The initial recruiter somehow determined I had a year of professional experience in Android development, which was not true. Therefore, she initially put me on the hiring track for someone who had professional Android experience rather than the hiring track for a recent college graduate. I passed the phone interview on this track, but then the next recruiter I spoke with discovered the error and switched me over to the recent college graduate track for the in-person interview.

2) My recruiter never showed up in the lobby to pick me up for the in-person interview, so 20 minutes after the interview was supposed to start my first interviewer called to find out where I was. She requested that I come to the building where she was, but the secretary said I wasn't allowed to walk there by myself and that she had to come pick me up. I had to tell her to come pick me up, then we went back to the building and started the interview quite late. The entire time, interviewers tried to make up for lost time by shortening their interviews, so it was a fairly frustrating experience.

Travel reimbursement worked well, and it was a nice chance to visit Mountain View though, so that was a plus. The interviewers were also very welcoming, if a bit rushed.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Google in March 2017.

Interview

Very technical with no behavioral questions. 2 back to back interviews before the second round. HR was very helpful. Make sure to prepare algorithms, computer science basics and structured brain teasers

Channels Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process started with an initial phone interview with a recruiter out of their HQ. 2 weeks went by, and then a second phone interview with a different recruiter who was my main POC throughout the process. After 2 more weeks going by, they flew me out to their office for an onsite interview. They provided the flight, hotel and rental, but did not cover any additional expenses. During the onsite interview, I met with 5 people, some of which I was not told I would be interviewing with. Some of those I was informed I'd be interviewing with, I didn't meet with. Each interview with each interviewer was also timed and seemed rushed. Questions were very difficult, and the body language of some of the interviewers was very stand-offish. At the end of the interview, there was no closing or conclusion of the interview, I was just walked to the door and thanked for coming in. Though the interview was positive from my perspective, the atmosphere in the interview made the experience unpleasant and not reassuring. I didn't feel as prepared upon arrival once I realized I would not be interviewing with the people I was told I'd be interviewing with. To recap, I also did not get a chance to meet with my (or any) recruiter regarding next steps and/or follow up, and I was not left with a positive closing of the interview. Overall, though the experience was positive, I have had WAY more positive experiences with other companies for similar positions and was still not offered a position. I was told they decided to hire an internal candidate, but that I would be considered for future positions. I think Google and their opportunities are overhyped because of their brand, but their interview process lacks efficiency and accuracy because of how many hands are in the bucket.

Interview Questions

• If you had to hire a team of engineers in a market you are not familiar with, how would you go about sourcing candidates?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you dealt with conflict with a co-worker and/or colleague. What was the situation, how did you handle it, and what was the result?   Answer Question
    • Walk me through how you would source candidates for engineering positions, and LinkedIn is down.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Interview

first got a phone call from the recruiter then immediately scheduled with a google hangout interview with a manager and technical engineer, then on-site interview with lunch. the whole process took within a month.