Google Interview Questions in London, England | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 19, 2017

3.4

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

The whole process took about 6 weeks.
    I was contacted by a recruiter, due to my HackerRank profile.

I first had a non-technical phone interview with the recruiter, who:
    - explained about the SRE role and environment,
    - asked about my level of knowledge on approx. 20 subjects (programming languages, technologies, IT skills, CS subjects); these subjects, as well as my resume, helped them determine the content of the upcoming technical interviews
    - asked a few canned questions about algorithms, data structures and Unix internals

Second step was a technical 45 minutes phone interview with a Google SRE, with coding in a share Google doc
    Quickly got a positive feedback on the technical interview by email from the recruiter; she transferred me to another recruiter to schedule the on-site interviews one month later. The other recruiter provided a lot of preparation information for the on-site interviews.

Thirds step was the on-site interview: one day with 5 technical coding/design interviews of 45 minutes with Google engineers + a 45 minute lunch with another engineer. I got a positive impression of the whole day, very friendly and positive attitude from the interviewers.

Finally got a call from the recruiter, one week after the on-site, telling me that the hiring committee had not recommended hiring me. No details given (company policy).

Interview Questions

• Complex design problem of a large scale system. Fortunately, the information provided by the recruiter helped me prepare for such a question.   Answer Question

BusinessLondon Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

The process started in November and finished in March. Patience is the key word here. The recruiter was always in communication and notified me every time I passed a level. It was an overall great process and well handled.

The interview was 2 back to back 30min interviews with 2 managers. Both were very receptive and kind. Very calm interview with no curveballs. Google want to know who YOU are!

Interview Questions

• Q: Describe a time you used metrics in your workplace
      Q: How would you take YouTube customer satisfaction from 80-90%
      Q: Tell me about yourself?
      Q: How do you manage your time?
      Q: Explain a recent time where you had to manage your time properly
      Answer Question

Workshop and Events Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Was contacted through an agent who arranged the interview. This was a 2 stage interview that took place on Hangout and lasted about 45min-1h. I was interviewed by 3 people, each in different locations

Interview Questions

• How have you managed a difficult relationship with a colleague ?   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied online received a Hangout interview invitation. The recruiter was rude. She called me during her lunch break, it was a lot of noise on the background and I had to struggle to hear what she was saying.

Interview Questions

• are you familiar with graph algorithms?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on Linkedin. I had a brief conversation about uni and modules I take and after that I was scheduled with 2 technical interviews on Google Hangouts. One of them was very technical (data structures, algorithms) and the 2nd one was more about problem solving

Interview Questions

• traversing through a binary tree, how to get random numbers with different probabilities   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online and got called in for an interview. There were two 1:1 interviews over Hangouts on the same day. There was an optional briefing session (also over Hangouts) where the recruitment process was described and questions were answered.
    I was impressed with how much they seemed to want the candidates to be prepared. They give several links to access some preparation materials, including a guide written by Google specifically for the internship recruitment process.

The recruiter and also the interviewers were quite nice. But I think they could have allowed more room to think. I felt that both interviewers sort of had their own line of thought and wanted me to follow it, instead of giving me freedom to approach the problem on my own first. I feel that if the questions were harder, I would have been able to demonstrate my analytical skills better.

Interview Questions

• The first interview started off with some theoretical questions about data structures and ended with a simple coding exercise followed by a bit tougher problem regarding scalability. The entire second interview consisted of one problem. They expect you to answer questions at the end, so have some good questions ready.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview, through hangouts, followed by five onsite technical interviews, required coding in the whiteboard and in a google document.
    I was given the choice of programming language to use (Python,Java,C++), except for one interviewer that requested me to write the code in Java.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview: Given a keyboard like the ones that appear on a TV screen and a word, print an optimal sequence of moves necessaries to type the word. The possible moves are UP,DOWN,LEFT,RIGH,ENTER(to select a character). The starting point is always the top left corner.   1 Answer

Account Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process is quite straightforward but usually depends on the availability of the role and their current headcount. I applied via referral. It took 12 days for them to get back and approve my application. They asked to fill in the short form with the motivational questions: why google. your proud achievement. your availability. etc After they review it, you get an HR confirmation interview that's focused on your general understanding of the role. Why Google? what google does, What account strategist does, what main products do we have, why this role..nothing unexpected. The second stage consists of three interviews with google team members. So far I've done two of them (waiting for another one). The first one is a sales pitch - you're given a particular client and you have to talk over their challenges ( demand decline, slow growth) and suggest adwords solutions. My advice is to learn more about adwords and read success stories and forums so you can identify easily what can go wrong. Also ask follow up questions e.g : What's the traffic been like ? what's the company's pas performance? You will show your kwledge of the clients relationships. The second interview is very role focused and based on understanding of you daily activities. Still waiting for their reply. Hope it helps. They are friendly and open people so it's important for them to see your honesty. Don;t make up things. It's better admit that you're unsure than to lie.

Interview Questions

• -Why Google? What is Adwords? What if you were given a portfolio that consists of 500 clients? How would you manage it? What's your recent challenge? Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

This was a referral by a contact at Google.

Within a few days of sending in my CV, a member of the HR team got in touch to arrange interview slots. The interview process was very slick, and any changes/updates were communicated immediately.

In total, I had two face-to-face interviews (On the job knowledge and Leadership) and two over Hangouts (Cognitive ability and 'Googleyness') around the end of October 2016.

Several weeks passed by without an update, so I chased both my referrer and my recruiter. Both said there had been some delays due to people being out of office. I waited a few more weeks, chased again still nothing.

It is now approaching the end of January 2017 and still no update, despite following up over e-mail/phone.

While I'm not holding my breath for an offer, I am a little surprised that I never heard back either way.

Perhaps I slipped through the net, or maybe my recruiter is just ineffective. In any case, it has been an overall negative experience, and I hope that Google pays attention to this sort of review in order to improve the process for others.

Interview Questions

• Google do not allow candidates to share details of interview questions. If you get through to the interview stage, your recruiter will give you a good idea of what to expect for each of the four interviews.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online in July, took a few weeks to get a response from Google. The processes started with Google asking me to fill out some questions in relation to a project that i'd worked on. After submitting this i was quickly pushed on to the next stage. About a couple of weeks later, I had a virtual meeting with the hiring manager who asked me some product related questions as well as a few sql questions. E.g. how would you know when to send a push-up notification to a consumer, what metrics would you look at / measure / optimize upon. I also passed a sql test at this point. The product-related questions were pretty open ended.

It took about 2 weeks to find out that I'd be accepted to the next and final stage of the process (it was strange that they would take so long in making that decision. At this point, i had accepted a job elsewhere, however after relentlessly applying over a number of years i wanted to push through this to the end.)

The next and final stage of the process was in the London HQ , 4-in a row + (?business lunch?) interview process. I thought my first interview went really well as i felt i answered questions okay, and they were open ended. I got a "hope to see you soon" kind of ending - but the questions were so relentless that there was barely enough time for me to ask a lot of questions at the end and understand the role i was applying for in better detail. The second interview was similar, ending with a quick sheet of paper where i was told to demonstrate / define linear regression and then quickly told to write some sql code based on some columns , the question had make me nervous as I didn't fully understand what the output / business case of the problem was trying to solve and it was a twister using counts/subqueries where i didn't stay calm. Before i could finish, the interviewer had to end the session for lunch and took my paper.

After this there were 2 video calls remaining - these interviewers were pretty friendly and asked me to go through more product based questions (e.g. how would you decide what to show someone on netflix, what programming skills do you know, types of joins, etls etc.) The last one ended with a sql test which i thought went better than the second one but i think there was something that they didnt like in the way i was writing or i didnt make myself 'sound confident' . I think this was partly the basis of my application getting rejected or not being strong enough, they did not give proper feedback following the process and it really left a bitter taste for me. I've applied so many times and not to get strong feedback / weighing up negatives/positives after reaching the final stage really left me pissed off to be frank.
    If they are looking for programmers / statisticians rather than industry business analysts then it should be more clear. I can also write queries with all joins, various functions, subqueries as well as picking up new functions off the table but if I'm given 30 sec to look at dataset and crunch and then get harsh criticism for my code (where i'm not a full programmer) then so be it. I'm honestly not sure if i feel like even trying to apply again. I also felt a bit of a arrogance from a couple of the people in the recruitment process as well as some robotic-ness from HR (you don't have to explicitly tell me the timezone of our call when you know i'm based in the UK already and we just spoke 20min prior to arranging the call. Also got a couple of memes from their HR... felt odd more than anything.)

Interview Questions

• what type of sql joins do you know   1 Answer