Google Manager In Finance Department Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

4.0

1 Candidate Interview ReviewBack to all Interviews

Manager In Finance Department Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Google in June 2010.

Interview

The job search started with identifying a job online and applying on the company website. Then I searched online, found a manager in the functional area, and made contact. HR conducted a short phone interview including the expected question about college and graduate school GPAs. The next interview was also by phone with the hiring manager. A few weeks later I met with 7 individuals, some alone and some in pairs. Almost a month later I interviewed with another 3 individuals. Many of the questions were behavioral, and a few times I was asked how I would approach a practical problem the company is facing. That being said, the questions I had were not typically as complex as some found on websites and asked of systems engineers and product managers. At that point the company' s internal process was to recommend the desired candidate to the hiring committee consisting of executives. If that committee agreed, then a top executive also had to agree with the recommendation. Any individual objecting along the way would end the applicant's candidacy.

The organization appears to be looking for individuals who bring skills not always available in the past. Those skills included the ability to manage and mentor employees in some cases, as well as technical skills. The atmosphere is collaborative and non-hierarchical. As would be expected, the office seemed very informal, and few managers had private offices. I enjoyed meeting every single individual and would have been pleased to work there.

Interview Questions

• If you had essentially no reports or reference materials to start with, how would you approach getting to know the information you had to manage in your new role?   1 Answer
  • How would you develop your subordinates?   Answer Question