Google Interview Questions in Mountain View, CA | Glassdoor

3.5

1,516 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

RF Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

1) recuiter call me to schedule phone interview 2) About 20 minutes phone interview 3) recuiter to schedule on site interview 4) then did a face to face interview with 5 engineers.

Interview Questions

• noise calculation, IMD2 interfence   2 Answers

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

A Google recruiter contacted me out of the blue. I had applied at Google before and I think that's where he found me, either that or through LinkedIn. He then passed me to a third party recruiter. Originally I was supposed to interview for job A, then at the last minute they said that job A was filled and I will be interviewing for job B. No question, just 'this is what's happening and we're Google so you'll do a what we say.' I had a Google Hangouts interview. Interviewer was 15 minutes late. No Googley questions, just standard interview stuff. Found out the next day that they were hiring internally instead.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

All of the big companies in Silicon Valley use a similar style of interview. It's well known and Google lays it all out for you. The rest is mostly up to you. My interview seemed to go well overall but there were a couple specific things that made it a bit of a negative experience.

For me, the interview was five 45 minute sessions, plus lunch in the middle. All were technical interviews with engineers – no cultural fit interviews.

Some of the sessions were typical white boarding sessions. And most of the questions seemed relevant. But one session in particular focused on a problem that I felt bordered on being more of a brainteaser than an indicator of actual real world performance. Don't get caught off guard. Make sure that you don't just understand all of the major review topics, but can also implement them without much thought, no matter how academic they might seem.

The other sessions were design/architecture discussions, which I really enjoyed. Although, I felt a little blindsided in one of them. That interview started with a description of a feature and I was asked how I might implement it, in general terms. As the conversation progressed, we got into some white boarding about the data model and talked about performance. So far, so good, I thought. But just five or ten minutes before the end, the interviewer said that she needed to see some code before our time was up. Code?! Needed?! Based on how the interviewer had led the conversation up until then, I had no idea that was an expectation. In other architecture sessions I did that day, coding wasn't a concern at all. So maybe it's worth confirming early what an interviewer wants by the end.

On a side note, I also felt that there was a bit of a language barrier between me and two of the interviewers. Don't be caught off guard if your interviewer speaks English poorly.

Interview Questions

• I can't say. Candidates sign a confidentiality agreement prior to interviewing.   1 Answer

Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I was there about an hour earlier. Clocked in and was confirmed for the interview. I was there for about an hour before we were called in. We were about 4 guys. It was a group interview and we were asked about ourselves, our passion, if we've heard about the car etc.

Interview Questions

• They ask me to tell them about myself.   2 Answers
    • What kind of jobs have you had in the past?   1 Answer
    • What kind of vehicle have you driven in the past?   1 Answer
    • What's your passion ?   1 Answer
    • Driving Records   1 Answer
    • Are you open to travel outside the city?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

1 coding round, 1 telephonic interview and then 4 interviews(excluding the lunch interview) onsite.
    In the telephonic interview, I was asked theoretical questions unlike any experience I've heard and 1 very simple coding question. Onsite, 2 rounds were on data structures and 2 were on algorithms.

Software Engineer - Web Applications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

2 phone screens, 1 full-day interview. Was successful through many rounds, but ultimately fell short due to unknown reasons. Recruiter was stunned as well and couldn't really tell me why.

Interview Questions

• Asked a lot of questions revolving algorithms and other core CS concepts. Only one of the interviews was specific to the actual job being applied to (core web and frontend).   1 Answer

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

After submitting online application, got a "basic competency" screening from a recruiter before scheduling a phone interview with an analyst. Then recommended for a flyout with four 45-minute interviews in Mountain View (+ lunch "interview"). They recommended me to the hiring committee who requested a follow-up interview, after which they made their decision.

I got along great with everyone I met and the recruiters were awesome and great facilitators. One downside was that the final follow-up interview left a bit of a bad taste, as there was some miscommunication about the topic and the interviewer was a bit off-putting. Initially, I was told the interview would focus on data analysis; the day before the interview, I was told it would focus on data analysis and statistics; and the interview ultimately eschewed analysis entirely and I was only asked statistics. I was also told it would be a video interview, but the interviewer either couldn't figure out how to connect (astonishing that an employee at Google couldn't figure out how to use Hangouts), or he just refused to do so; this is unfortunate because I feel much more comfortable on a phone interview, since I find it much easier to interact with someone when body language is involved. This was borne out throughout the interview, as I felt we were just not connecting -- I'm sure the feeling was mutual, which likely was a big factor in the outcome of the process. The interviewer further refused to use the shared coding document at the appropriate point of the interview -- I basically had to describe a for loop out loud, which, given the availability of such a document, why? It wasn't a particularly complicated loop, so it wasn't a communication test. Just a needless obstacle.

Interview Questions

• Phone interviewer asked some questions about my research, then gave me a Google-related question involving a difference-in-differences design, and another applied question involving creating a prediction system.   1 Answer
    • First onsite interviewer basically asked me some R questions -- how to load data, how to compute some group-level summary statistics.
      Second onsite interviewer asked me some basic stats questions -- interpreting coefficients, explaining good vs. bad dimension reduction approaches to a "layperson", then asked an applied question about evaluating two models used in Google search.
      Third onsite interviewer asked to compare two estimators (bias/consistency/efficiency), and how to evaluate results of a survey.
      Fourth onsite interviewer asked a stats question about optimal sequential behavior facing draws from an offer distribution without recall, then moved on to building a large-scale prediction model for a zero-inflated phenomenon at Google.
      2 Answers
    • Follow-up interviewer asked me a question about using MLE to estimate population size, followed by a stochastic dynamic programming problem -- setting up the value function, describing its expected properties, and detailing a numerical solution outline.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Did an all day interview at Google in CA. Had 5 interviewers grill me on questions ranging from graph theory to binary search tree algorithms. A lunch break where we got some good food and I had time to learn more about Google was nice. The interviews were sadly, mostly about them learning what algorithms you know versus your experience. Very little time to actually learn about where you might actually end up.

Interview Questions

• Implement the Java String.contains method and describe the speed of your implementation.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Skipped the phone screen and went straight to onsite interview. Recruiter wasn't in the office that day and there were a few logistical hiccups in the morning but otherwise went fine.

Interview Questions

• Given a 2D matrix find the path with the maximum product.   2 Answers
    • Design an algorithm for a Roomba cleaning bot.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a phone interview. Submitted resume over Google recruit site. As a new graduate I was given an email with some links to study on the scale of the coming interview and a bunch of papers about GFS, bigtable and such stuff.. HR reached out to me in two weeks via email after the resume was sent. She was helpful and responsive. During the phone interview, the interviewer got straight forward to coding without asking anything about the resume. Overall it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Given a sorted array, find all the numbers that occur more than n/4 times.   2 Answers
    • Given a list of words, find the longest prefix that applies to all words.   1 Answer