Google Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Google Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Apr 16, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

After completing the foobar challenge, I was contacted by a recruiter and asked if I would be interested in interviewing. The recruiter was fantastic, walked me through how the process would work, the time frame between each stage, and what I could do to prepare. Even though I flubbed the first round technical interview, the interviewer was very nice and did all he could to help me relax and stay on track to answer the questions.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Two 45-minute phone-screen interviews. The interviewers were very nice. I kept thinking aloud and they kept giving me hints. It was quick and painless. I would advice preparing coding questions for Google.

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

Brief phone screen that led to on-site interview in the Mountain View office, which consisted of five interviews throughout the entire day (mix between behavioral and technical). Phone screen was with somebody in the role, and consisted of describing how to architect a vague feature that Google currently implements. On-site behavior interviews concerned themselves with how to manage people, and technical interviews covered basic algorithms and structures.

Interview Questions

• How would you manage a team that had conflicting paths on how to proceed?   1 Answer

User Experience Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and asked my friend to give me a refer during the application period. I was contacted by a recruiter about a week later and finished a questionnaire of which team I'm interested and some of my background. Then as every intern did, I was put into the candidate pool. You'll be there for up to 6 weeks. If there is a host like to move forward with you, you will get an interview. If not, you fail.

The experience of recruiting was so nice, since the recruiter emailed me saying I wasn't forgotten by Google because I didn't get a response for 3 weeks. Fortunately, I was contacted by her because a host in NYC would like to have an phone interview.

You'll get the first name of the host and a sentence about the project they want you to involve. The interview took about 45 mins as a pretty normal one. She described the project and asked 2 behavior questions. Then I spent about 20 mins for a portfolio review. Last but not least, questions for interviewers.

After about a week, I was told that she'd like to move forward and got the offer.

Interview Questions

• How could you describe interaction design to someone don't know interaction design?   Answer Question
    • What kind of person are you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Rochelle, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New Rochelle, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

One hour of code, two problems to finish in the time allotted. After that was a phone call with an engineer on one of the software teams - I walked through my coding problem in a Google doc with limited input from him.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to not repeat it, but it was two step process - given this problem, solve, then given an additional feature modify your original solution to make it handle both cases.   Answer Question

PhD Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Two screening interviews. They started with some simple knowledge question without coding something like bit manipulation or some network concept. And then coding of course. It was not that difficult, and I think I did well, but did not get the offer.

Administrative Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

I was aware of how long the process took, and was so interested in Google as an employer that I stuck with it. But if you are in need of employment ASAP it may be harder to wait through the process. It is not uncommon to have to wait many weeks/months to secure an offer.

Their process seems to be in stages, where you must pass each stage in order to proceed.

1)Recruiter interview and job explanation (phone)
    2)Situational Interview with another ABP (phone)
    3)Interview with the administrative team with support needs (in-person)
    4)Interview with Executive/s you will be supporting (in-person)
    5)Final hiring approval by committee w/offer

The timeline that I experienced is as follows:

-Recruiter contacts me through an internal referral to set up interview
    -3 days later I had a phone interview with the Recruiter and was told immediately at the end she would set up round 2 of interview process
    -10 days later I did the situational interview with a Google ABP, with no immediate feedback at the end. Was told 3 days later by the recruiter that I passed, and would be entered into their pool of candidates and would be contacted when an opening came up
    -Was contacted 2 weeks later by a new recruiter about an opening on a team and was invited in for an in-person interview. Scheduled 5 days later. No immediate feedback was given after the interview. Feedback was given 3 days later that the team did not feel I was a match.
    -Was contacted 1 week later by another recruiter about another opening on a different team and was invited in to interview with them. Heard back from the recruiter within a few hours after the interview was over that they wanted to move me to stage 4
    -Went in for 4th round interview with Executives. No immediate feedback. Heard back from the recruiter 2 days later that they wanted to move forward with me, and that she needed to submit my candidacy for final approval.
    -Received job offer 1 week later

So from the first contact with a recruiter to job offer was roughly 8 weeks. Had the 2nd team I interviewed with not thought I was a fit, I would have been put back into the pool for other opportunities.

I imagine many people are actively searching for employment and receive offers from other companies before Google has gone through their rigorous process and that's why most reviews show NO OFFER. If you stick it through and are not disheartened by rejection, you will probably find a good fit and a job offer.

Every single person that I spoke with, met, and worked with during the process was incredibly professional, respectful, encouraging, and overall a pleasure to deal with! By far the most pleasant interviewing experience I have ever had!

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite Google product and why?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Technical Solutions Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

I had two phone interviews and one call with the recruiter. The recruiter is kind and polite.
    There were very common network and Linux questions. The second interview was supposed to be a coding interview but I only got one simple coding question that took minutes to finish.
    I hoped there would be something about Cloud technology or Web Application development which the title suggests. Unfortunately the role is all about network/platform availability and the study guide reminds me the contents table of the book UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook. It doesn't seem to require much coding skills as well, as it took sometime for the interviewer to recall how lists work in python.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied for internship. Had 3 rounds of technical phone interviews of 45 minutes each. Usually started with some previous work experience/algorithms questions then solving a coding problem via shared google doc

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Two interviews at the same day. Only algorithm questions.
    Q1 How to decide whether a matrix has the same element on all minor diagonals?
    e.g:
    1 2 3 0
    4 1 2 3
    5 4 1 2
    0 5 4 1

Interview Questions

• Q1 How to decide whether a matrix has the same element on all minor diagonals?   Answer Question
    • Q2 There is a series of bank names and each bank has its own range of ID. Given a user ID, find the bank name.   Answer Question