Google Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 8, 2017

3.3

240 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I had a recruiter contact so applied directly. The entire process took 3 months.

Round1: HR
Questions: Why Google, what do you bring to the table etc. Most people clear this. Honestly if you did not or cannot then consider another career

Round2: Phone screen with a Senior Product Manager
Very professional, punctual and courteous
Questions: Resume review, projects, product I like and what I will change about it

Round3: Onsite
Interviewer 1 (I-1): Seasoned PM
Questions: Took one project on my resume and discussed it for 45 minutes. Standard PM framework approach to answering questions

I-2: Seasoned GPM from YouTube
Questions: Market sizing, opportunity assessment, why Google, how will you improve product X

I-3 Junior PM in Search and was previously at Microsoft
Questions: Annoying as hell and the only value add was he/she corrected me that it's Orange is the new black. I said Orange is the new Red. Mid 20's, annoying and arrogant as hell. We discussed about Netflix model and what can be improved. He/She just kept on saying.. What else.. what else.. what else... I think he/she said that at least 30 times.

I-4: Seasoned GPM
Questions: None as it was lunch interview. General talk about soccer world cup, etc. Guy was jaded and I think waiting for his stocks to vest. Overall nothing much to report here

I-5: HR
I thought I was done but she asked me to stay back. Hopes up... LOL

I-6: Seasoned PM from Identity Management team
Questions: SSO, OAuth, improving checkout etc. Nothing crazy

I-7: Engineer from YouTube
Questions: Professional and very very nice. Asked me to design a load balancer using data structures. I told him I can write in VB or SQL. He said does not care about language. Wants to see how I use data structures

I-8: Junior PM from Google+
Questions: Mostly around improve X, improve Y. What non tech product I like? I told I love my Canon Mark III. Discussed it to death and since I know it in an out it was easy to talk about what I would love to change in it

Overall, if you know frameworks you are good to go. They don't asking anything earth shattering.

HR called in a week and said team loved you.. no questions there but felt that you would be a better fit elsewhere. I was offered a position in Google Tech Services as a Senior Manager. I am a Senior PM in a top company in the Bay area. It did not make sense for me to move into a Tech role. I declined and moved on.

In hindsight I thank Google for saying no to me. I'm nearing 40. It does not make sense for me to hang out with 20 year olds PM's. There is only so much I have in common with them. I'm more of a PBS kind of guy. Orange could be the new Blue for all I care.

Interview Questions

• I have been a PM for over 5 years and in marketing and management consulting all my career. Nothing was unexpected. Irksome? yes. But then again I said to myself, a decade ago I was as arrogant as that 20+ kid.   2 Answers

Not a PM position but a position in Google Tech Services

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

It was the longest interview process I have been thru. Took 3 months for them to say no. I was really interested in cloud but the interview panel was a bunch of PMs with 2-4 years experience in very consumer centric areas - one guy was the PM for payments risk, another one was PM for Google Play store monetization, the senior most of them was PM for Google shopping. I asked him the difference between the job of a PM and a GPM at Google. He gave a pretty elaborate reply - hopefully he did not take it in a bad way and give me a bad review! The technical interviewer was by far the smartest guy.

I get the feeling that Google's hiring process has created a very uniform set of people who walk and talk very similar things and are in a bubble. Google is no where on the scene when it comes to messaging, social networking, etc. Even in digital ads, small companies like Branch.io have come up with very innovative ideas. Clearly these PMs are not really that earth shattering and lack originality.

My interview feedback, however, was not positive - the first hiring manager balked. I am a pretty honest and brutal judge of myself and was feeling good about the interview - I was quite surprised. The recruiter then decided to share my resume with the cloud teams as thats what I was really interested in. Turned out a bunch of PM managers in the cloud were interested. I spoke with a few and 2 managers were really interested and sponsored my case to the hiring committee. Based on the feedback from the earlier interviews, however, I was rejected.

In places like AWS, Microsoft, Facebook, etc. hiring managers have an important say in the hiring process. There is no data to suggest that these companies are doing badly because of that. Google , on the other hand, is not really doing any different in terms of innovation because of its strange hiring practices. It is lagging behind in terms of market share in many areas that it has stepped into - that is a direct indication of how its Product Managers are performing.

Interview Questions

• The Chrome team is looking to reduce power utilization on mobile phones when using the browser. How would you go about solving this problem.   1 Answer
    • Name a company that in your opinion has not done very well.   1 Answer
    • Tell me how you would improve Google Maps.   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Applied online on the Google careers. Got call from a recruiter after few weeks and interview was scheduled shortly.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google in July 2017.

Interview

Interviewer rushed the Interview through and did cut me off on several instances saying due to limited time we have move forward. I felt it was badly organised and personally did not expect this from Google

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me how much budget is required for Facebook to maintain Facebook Photos ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

Telephonic interview followed by in person. I could not clear the telephonic interview. The entire process was professional and transparent. The recruiter gives you a heads up on the interview process , along with reference material which was very helpful.

Interview Questions

• Design a product. It could be anything.   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Google interviews were pretty much as described by others on glassdoor.

After emailing with a recruiter, I had a phone screen with an existing employee. He asked about my current work and a Google product I like. A few weeks later I had an onsite with five employees. Each tested a different area: 1 tech, 1 industry knowledge (I'm in cloud computing), 2 market sizing questions, 2 design questions. 2 of 5 interviews were video conferenced.

I was surprised by how different Amazon and Google approach interviewing.

Amazon digs deep into your past behavior. They ask questions like "Tell me about a time you were in X situation? How did you interact? How did you know things were going well? Not well? What happened when you did Y?" Amazon has research showing that behavioral interviews result in data fairly predictive of future performance.

Google doesn't appear to be interested in past experience. They ask questions like "How many X's are in the United States? Design a smart Y (unrelated to you industry). What's the market opportunity of [obscure google product]". Basically think-on-the-spot questions, best answered using whiteboards, napkin math, frameworks and metrics.

Both companies have their preferred way of assessing candidates. Both approaches have strengths and weaknesses.

After the onsite, the recruiter contacted me a week later with their decision. I appreciated that he phoned me to let me know.

Overall, it was an okay experience. Good luck, GCP.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

The phone interview lasted about 45 minutes. Covered a couple of recent roles on the resume, one analytical question (see below) and one long term business growth/competition scenario analysis.

The onsite interview lasted about 5 hours and as many interviews. Each interviewer asked analytical questions similar to those in the phone interview. All questions fit roughly these patterns - for fictitious product/scenario arrive at a formula and use it to provide a number for total size, speed etc.; prioritization exercise for desirable changes to an existing internet product or a new product.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

The interview process was pretty straightforward. 45 minute phone screen follow by 4 hour on-site interviews in Mountain View. The interviewers ran a wide range for very personable to introverted and only interested in testing you on specific non-public data about Google.

Interview Questions

• Google made me sign an NDA, so I can't repeat the questions here. However, they asked me questions about things that normal people would not be expected to know. Google seems to be a victim of itself, and rather than looking for qualified candidates who know how to be Product Managers, they are looking only for people who know very specific things about their business, very specific market penetration numbers, and information that nobody would have outside Google. I was extremely under-impressed with the lack of focus on skills versus the focus on knowing very specific data about Google which is not publicly available. I would give their interview process an F-.   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Phone interview followed by full loop. Here is learning resources share d ahead and a very nice scheduling system. Recruiting also required to have referrals as much as possible. Not sure if they ever use them.

Interview Questions

• Describe a product that does not go well and how you would change it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

Recruiters were terrible with lots of hand-offs, but on-site interviewers were nice. I think I talked to ~7 different people before I even got on-site, which is insane. It's very difficult to get feedback regarding areas for improvement... Google seems awesome but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

Interview Questions

• Pretty typical PM questions...   1 Answer