Google Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Product Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Google

3.4

Product Manager Interview

Interview

I wish, I had the following information when I walked into my phone screen, hopefully it will help someone out there.

Here is the format of my 1st phone screen with a PM (45 minutes long).

* Interviewer talks about his/her background (3~5 mins)
* Two general questions - tell me about yourself and why do you want to work here? (5 ~ 10 mins)
* Product questions - design and strategy (25~30 mins)
* Questions for the interviewer (last 5 mins)

My interviewer asked me 3 product questions so you are looking at 10~15 minutes per question.

I was caught off guard when my interviewer cut me short while I was flushing out solutions for a product design.

My recommendation, ask your interviewer how much time you have for the question or roughly how many product questions they have in mind so that you are not caught off guard like me.

On average, if the interviewer expects you to take 15 minutes for a product design problem then you don't have a lot of time for each of the below steps. You probably want to focus most of your attention on pain points and design (5 mins each).

* Define the user personas
* Define the pain points
* Prioritize the pain points
* Brain storm the solutions for the pain points
* Come up with a rough design for the solution
* Define success metrics for your solution

Product design is an iterative process, you will find better user personas, pain points and solutions as you go through the process. Be mindful about getting stuck in analysis paralysis and remember to touch on the key elements of the process.

Good luck, the process is not perfect, don't beat yourself up if you don't make it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, why do you want work here?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

Recruiter reached out on LinkedIn, we spoke, the full day panel interview was scheduled, after this I met the hiring manager for a posting in my city, he set me up with the team the next day and I received my offer. In total, and I recognize this isn’t typical, roughly 2.5 weeks or so. I guess I lucked out this time.

Interview Questions

• How would you estimate the number of people using Google Meets this year (2020)?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I applied to Google through two referrals. It took a few days after I submitted my application to be contacted by a recruiter. Once I was contacted, it was fairly quick to get a 30-minute phone screen scheduled. The phone screen was with another PM at Google who asked an analytical/estimation question and a product strategy question. I'd prepared by practicing estimation questions and strategy case studies I found online and through Cracking the PM Interview and basically did everything by the book. I felt pretty confident with my interview - great conversation and worked with the interviewer through the problems. After over 2 weeks post phone interview, I finally heard back from the recruiter saying they would not be moving forward and he wanted tell me over the phone so he could offer me feedback. His feedback was to improve in strategy and analytical case studies (uh, duh) but no deeper than that. This could have been an email instead of having me wait two weeks.
    I'd advise lots of practice on estimation and strategy questions but also, don't get your hopes up or bank on getting Google.

Product Manager Interview

Interview

Just phone interviews. Had interviews twice with team stakeholders. They provided what they do and asked how I could be related and my experiences. It didnt really fee like an interview. Very casual and work oriented.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I got contacted by a recruiter. She was nice at first and explained to me what opportunities were available. We scheduled a follow-up. About 5min before the call, she sent me an email asking to reschedule it to later in the afternoon. In the afternoon, she never showed up to the call. We rescheduled the call to another time. She missed the call again. I sent her a couple of emails to try to understand what was happening but I have heard from her again. Very unprofessional. Google should demand the same level of professionalism and competence as it does with PMs and Engineers. It was a total waste of my time and a major disrespect.

Interview Questions

• There were no questions in this round.   2 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Interview

The hiring and interview process was very well organized; I enjoyed the sample writing prompt exercise but make sure to be as detailed as possible (the time limit is a bit too short)

Interview Questions

• Favorite product and why; how to design a better shopping app for parents   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

Fairly straightforward. Asked about past experience and motivations for a PM role. Overall no serious curve balls until third round. A few situation-based questions but nothing out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself and why Google   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google in June 2020.

Interview

I received an email from Google approximately 1 week after I submitted my resume. The recruiter scheduled a phone interview for me two weeks out with confirmations. The morning of the interview, the recruiter reached out to wish me good luck, and to contact him immediately following the interview. The interviewer never showed up. I immediately connected my recruiter 15 minutes after the start time with no response. After an hour went by, I connected my recruiter again - no response. The recruiter did not get back to me until the next morning apologizing for his late reply - never apologized or provided an explanation for the no-show. I was rescheduled for later that week. The interviewer did show up this time; however, was very dry. There were no formal introductions, and I was not given an opportunity to provide any information relating to my professional experience. The interviewer went straight into his 4 questions and it was a robotic like experience (which is ironic because some of his questions were based on robots). He kept saying, 'interesting' after each of my answers, and I felt defeated and didn't give much more effort. His approach and the overall experience made me feel like they did not value my time or take my application seriously. As a product manager, user experience is important, and this entire experience has demonstrated to me that Google does not value their candidate experience during the application process.

Interview Questions

• 1. Pick an App on your phone and explain what you like/do not like about it.   3 Answers
    • 2. Pretend Google Next wants to acquire iRobot. What do you look for/how do you position.   Answer Question
    • 3. You have to design a robot with no screen. What is it, and how will it be designed?   1 Answer
    • 4. An airport closed down for a day due to inclement weather. How long does it take to get caught up?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Recruiter from google contacted me via LinkedIn. After first screening round she organized an interview with hiring manager. That interview call was for 45 minutes. Interview process was one of the best but Google needs to find a better person who can interview well. If google is expecting interviewee should be in the quite place so interviewee is expecting the same from the interviewer. That google employee was not professional at all, he brings his son in the process. Constant disturbance was going on and he was into his son questions. Mr. Google employee, you shouldn’t have to come with your personal problem in the interview, you are playing with someone’s dream. I am very disappointed with that person. How company like google does this?

Interview Questions

• Questions are on product design and strategy   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2020.

Interview

Google describes their process as a series of questions designed to "focus on your general product and strategic insights coupled with your technical and analytical ability." They will send you a lot of links to reading material and youtube videos on how to prep for your interview. (see the bullet list below). In my case, this only helped to sabotage the entire conversation. I ended spending too much time focusing on describing my thought processes (thinking this is what the interviewer would want to hear) rather than my own ideas about a way Google could make money with my proposed solution, and how I personally operate as a Product Manager.

The bottom line is that if you are a kid out of college that has never interviewed anywhere before, then Google's interview tips will be useful to you. In my case, the interviewer seemed immediately uninterested when I tried to structure my answers in the "Google way". And if I asked a clarifying question, it seemed as if he thought I didn't understand what he was asking. And instead of clarifying, he would alter the question. Some of this could have just been his personality as well. Not everyone is a good interviewer.

Interview guidelines + (my tips)
    1. brainstorm big, give some deep insights about the industry or trend (a typical question will be an app you use, and what you would do to improve it, what it would take to realize it from a technical standpoint, and how would you measure it's success)
    2. ask clarifying questions (only if you need clarification, don't do it just to show them you've watched their interview prep videos)
    3. speak in terms of accomplished X by doing Y which led to Z. (i wasn't asked any detailed questions about my background)
    4. walk though your thought processes & methodology (if you know what you're talking about, your thought processes & methodology should be obvious to someone who also knows what you're talking about)
    5. mention the tradeoffs - caveat your answer and directly addressing potential concerns the interviewer may have with your answer. (again, only if asked)
    6. Improve your answers. expect follow up questions, and improve your answers. (ditto)

Interview Questions

• My initial phone interview did not follow the process that Google likes to publicize. I was asked a series of questions around the same hypothetical of "what would you do to improve your favorite app?"   3 Answers