Google Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 27, 2017

3.3

248 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Hiring process is too slow. There were 1-2 phone screens, an on-site, then evaluation by a committee, then if you’re approved, you shop around for a hiring manager you want to work for and then they put an offer package together which still has to be approved by yet another committee.

In general, I spoke with several interviewers who highlighted that Google takes it’s time when developing products and likes to move slowly. I came out of this process feeling that Google was more bureaucratic than fast moving.

Interview Questions

• How would you estimate the market size of X opportunity?   1 Answer
  • How would you solve [insert vague customer problem here]?   1 Answer
  • Technical questions surrounding system architecture tradeoffs   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

There was a pretty short phone screen that involved a Fermi estimation (eg, how many golf bus can you fit in a school bus?), and then a full day onsite scheduled.

The onsite interview was literally nothing but 6 hours of Fermi estimations with 5 different people. It was the worst interview I've ever been in, there was basically no discussion of the job, no "warming up" socializing, nothing but building models for Fermi estimations. Awful.

No discussion at any point about product design, analysis (outside of Fermi estimations), no questions about estimating market sizes or ROIs on product features, etc. Basically no discussion or questions about products or the product manager role.

By the end of the onsite I was pretty annoyed and told them this was the worst interview I'd ever been in, I suspect that had something to do with no getting an offer.

Interview Questions

• How many cars are on 101 between San Francisco and Mountain View? How many piano repairmen are there in the United States? How many golf balls can you fit inside of a school bus? How many people work for Google worldwide? How many computers does Google own?   4 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I had a recruiter contact so applied directly. The entire process took 3 months.

Round1: HR
    Questions: Why Google, what do you bring to the table etc. Most people clear this. Honestly if you did not or cannot then consider another career

Round2: Phone screen with a Senior Product Manager
    Very professional, punctual and courteous
    Questions: Resume review, projects, product I like and what I will change about it

Round3: Onsite
    Interviewer 1 (I-1): Seasoned PM
    Questions: Took one project on my resume and discussed it for 45 minutes. Standard PM framework approach to answering questions

I-2: Seasoned GPM from YouTube
    Questions: Market sizing, opportunity assessment, why Google, how will you improve product X

I-3 Junior PM in Search and was previously at Microsoft
    Questions: Annoying as hell and the only value add was he/she corrected me that it's Orange is the new black. I said Orange is the new Red. Mid 20's, annoying and arrogant as hell. We discussed about Netflix model and what can be improved. He/She just kept on saying.. What else.. what else.. what else... I think he/she said that at least 30 times.

I-4: Seasoned GPM
    Questions: None as it was lunch interview. General talk about soccer world cup, etc. Guy was jaded and I think waiting for his stocks to vest. Overall nothing much to report here

I-5: HR
    I thought I was done but she asked me to stay back. Hopes up... LOL

I-6: Seasoned PM from Identity Management team
    Questions: SSO, OAuth, improving checkout etc. Nothing crazy

I-7: Engineer from YouTube
    Questions: Professional and very very nice. Asked me to design a load balancer using data structures. I told him I can write in VB or SQL. He said does not care about language. Wants to see how I use data structures

I-8: Junior PM from Google+
    Questions: Mostly around improve X, improve Y. What non tech product I like? I told I love my Canon Mark III. Discussed it to death and since I know it in an out it was easy to talk about what I would love to change in it

Overall, if you know frameworks you are good to go. They don't asking anything earth shattering.

HR called in a week and said team loved you.. no questions there but felt that you would be a better fit elsewhere. I was offered a position in Google Tech Services as a Senior Manager. I am a Senior PM in a top company in the Bay area. It did not make sense for me to move into a Tech role. I declined and moved on.

In hindsight I thank Google for saying no to me. I'm nearing 40. It does not make sense for me to hang out with 20 year olds PM's. There is only so much I have in common with them. I'm more of a PBS kind of guy. Orange could be the new Blue for all I care.

Interview Questions

• I have been a PM for over 5 years and in marketing and management consulting all my career. Nothing was unexpected. Irksome? yes. But then again I said to myself, a decade ago I was as arrogant as that 20+ kid.   3 Answers

Not a PM position but a position in Google Tech Services

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

I participated in an onsite interview loop for product manager. The interviews were in Mountain View. I had 4 interviews back to back (1 software eng manager, 3 PMs), then lunch with a PM, followed by 1 more interview (with PM) via Google Hangout after lunch. With 4 back to back interviews it was a bit exhausting so might be an idea to practice to get accustomed to it.

The information on Glassdoor as well as the prep info from the recruiter gives an excellent idea of what to expect. There weren't much surprises for me, but the tech interview seems to vary a lot so I didn't know what to expect there.

Each interviewer seemed to focus on a certain area, eg. tech, estimation, product design, etc. I spent most of the time in each interview tackling the main question, and then the interviewer followed up with a few behavioral type questions. I found the interviews to be fun yet challenging. It was a lot of talking and white boarding.

Everybody was very respectful and helpful with hints if I went astray. Personalities of course were different with some being more friendly, but it was a pleasant experience with everyone. The recruiter was wonderful and responsive in answering questions and assisting in any way she could.

One downside is the abundance of prep info and material out there makes it difficult to prioritize what to tackle. If you were to actually go there all of the material suggested by the recruiter you'd probably be prepping for months. I think the material is a good guide to calibrate where you're at and understand what would give you an edge if you already possess that knowledge/skill, rather than actual "training" material.

Interview Questions

• How would you improve product x..   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Fast-paced interview with minimal feedback from the interviewer. Be prepared with standard template questions - What are your favorite products and why? How would you like to improve them. Practice! Practice Practice and Memorize the answers

Interview Questions

• What are your top 3 favorite apps you like? and Why? No specific feedback when queried further.   Answer Question
    • Describe 3 features that you would like to improve in Amazon app.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

The entire process was well structured. The recruiters made it feel like white glove service. For the final on-site round, there was a last minute switch for my first interview, and that threw off the scheduling so that I had less time with my first interviewer. However, all else went smoothly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in September 2017.

Interview

This was a 45 minute phone screen. The interviewer called 10 minutes late, so it was only about 35 minutes. No small talk and nothing related to past experience. Interviewer introduced himself and then went straight into the question.

Interview Questions

• What product should Nest build next?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

It was the longest interview process I have been thru. Took 3 months for them to say no. I was really interested in cloud but the interview panel was a bunch of PMs with 2-4 years experience in very consumer centric areas - one guy was the PM for payments risk, another one was PM for Google Play store monetization, the senior most of them was PM for Google shopping. I asked him the difference between the job of a PM and a GPM at Google. He gave a pretty elaborate reply - hopefully he did not take it in a bad way and give me a bad review! The technical interviewer was by far the smartest guy.

I get the feeling that Google's hiring process has created a very uniform set of people who walk and talk very similar things and are in a bubble. Google is no where on the scene when it comes to messaging, social networking, etc. Even in digital ads, small companies like Branch.io have come up with very innovative ideas. Clearly these PMs are not really that earth shattering and lack originality.

My interview feedback, however, was not positive - the first hiring manager balked. I am a pretty honest and brutal judge of myself and was feeling good about the interview - I was quite surprised. The recruiter then decided to share my resume with the cloud teams as thats what I was really interested in. Turned out a bunch of PM managers in the cloud were interested. I spoke with a few and 2 managers were really interested and sponsored my case to the hiring committee. Based on the feedback from the earlier interviews, however, I was rejected.

In places like AWS, Microsoft, Facebook, etc. hiring managers have an important say in the hiring process. There is no data to suggest that these companies are doing badly because of that. Google , on the other hand, is not really doing any different in terms of innovation because of its strange hiring practices. It is lagging behind in terms of market share in many areas that it has stepped into - that is a direct indication of how its Product Managers are performing.

Interview Questions

• The Chrome team is looking to reduce power utilization on mobile phones when using the browser. How would you go about solving this problem.   1 Answer
    • Name a company that in your opinion has not done very well.   1 Answer
    • Tell me how you would improve Google Maps.   2 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google in July 2017.

Interview

Interviewer rushed the Interview through and did cut me off on several instances saying due to limited time we have move forward. I felt it was badly organised and personally did not expect this from Google

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me how much budget is required for Facebook to maintain Facebook Photos ?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Applied online on the Google careers. Got call from a recruiter after few weeks and interview was scheduled shortly.