Google Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Product Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Google

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

It was slow and drawn out. I had to interview with mulitiple people on multiple days and there were long gaps when I didnt hear anything back from Google

Interview Questions

• How would you increase adoption of Google's Fiber to the Home product?   11 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in April 2015.

Interview

After recruiter screen, a phone screen was set up. 45 minutes. Just asked big high level "moonshot" idea question. Practice coming up w/ crazy ideas on random topics on the fly.

Interview Questions

• I'd rather not say specifically what the question was but I was proposed a random topic and instructed to come up w/ big creative, never been done before ideas to solve the problem   9 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I break down to 4 parts . 1. Car , 2 . Household , 3. Transportation , 4 others.
    Interviewer replied me to focus on Car only.
    I use USA population to answer this questions.
    Divided into Commercial car and non-Commercial car, then calculate the number.
    Finally, Interview ask me how do I think my estimation , is that too high or too low.
    I replied too low , because car sometime also needs to do maintenance and etc.
    He said ok .

Interview Questions

• 1. How much money spent in USA per year on GAS   8 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

A friend of mine submitted my resume through some contacts of his; I'm not sure about the exact details here. I got an email from a recruiter who asked if I would like to apply for the Product Manager position. I said yes, I would love to.

Another recruiter then contacted me to set up a phone interview with a Product Manager for around two weeks later. This interview had a few basic questions, then centered around a theoretical problem: imagine that you are the manager of [one of Google's largest products], and that you're thinking about doing [major change to the business model of the product]. How would you think about that? What would you do? (I'm omitting the details of the question in order to respect the confidentiality of their interview process. The very same day the original recruiter told me I passed and asked for my availability over the next three weeks to come in for a full day of on-site interviews.

The next day I received an email from yet another recruiter confirming that I would have my interviews on one of the days I had sent, with detailed instructions on time, location, etc. This had NDAs and a formal job application to fill out. As it turned out the interview process required only 4.5 hours on site, including lunch, but I kept the whole day blocked off as I had heard rumors (here?) that some people were asked to stay later than their scheduled end time in order to have additional interviews, if the feedback was ambiguous.

On the day of the interviews, my train in was delayed and I was ~10 minutes late for my first one. I'm not sure if that was counted against me, but it did throw me off a bit. I believe that over the course of the day I interviewed with four product managers and one software engineer, in addition to a "non-evaluatory" lunch with another product manager in one of the cafes. I thought I had good rapport with two of the product managers, although it was hard to tell, as they were trying hard to push me with their questions.

The big questions I got were:

First interview: Product Manager
    What are all the products you used since you got up this morning?
    Pick one you like and describe why.
    Pick one you don't like, describe why, and how would you improve it.

Second Interview: Product Manager
    Tell me about yourself.
    How big is the [xyz] market?
    What are some technology trends you are following?

Third Interview: Product Manager
    How would you improve [Google product]?
    Is [Google product] important (to Google)? Why? How from a product perspective, would you get more people to use it? What features would you add?

Fourth Interview: Product Manager
    Tell me about yourself.
    What is a product manager?
    How would you handle a situation in which someone senior to you disagrees with your product decision? (came out of something I said about how sometimes you mold user research into a product, and sometimes you're not able to)
    Tell me about a product that you created that you're proud of.
    Imagine that you are a PM at a big software company, and you are assigned to build [a business process] software for [a small business vertical]. How would you measure success?
    How would you build the product? What would you say to the engineering team? How would you iterate?

Fifth Interview: Software Engineer
    Some technical questions about web-based collaboration software.
    A simple code sample that I had to read and then say what it did.
    What's wrong with the code sample?
    Assume that you put the [code sample app] up on the web, and it became really popular. What are some optimizations you could do to speed up response times under load?

Interview Questions

• Imagine that you are a PM at [big software company], and you are assigned to build [business process] software for [small business vertical]. How would you measure success?   8 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google in January 2015.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me to apply via LinkedIn. Even though I didn't have any PM experience I entertained the possibility. Step 1 was a call with the recruiter. He was 30 minutes late calling me and we had to reschedule. Strike 1.

Step 2 was an interview with a PM. He had never received a copy of my resume so we had to spend the first 5 minutes sorting that out. Strike 2. The phone he was on had a ton of static and I could barely hear him. I spent the next 30 minutes constantly having to ask him to repeat himself. Strike 3. He asked a couple of general PM related questions.

Google team ops needs to get their act together because this was one of the worst interview experiences that I've had.

Interview Questions

• Design an app for a community of Celiac's disease patients. Talk about a product you hate.   4 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Got referred by a "Googler". Initially rebuffed by recruiter due to lack of a CS degree. Said Googler ensured that I had software development experience. Recruiter was very polite and timely with proceedings.
    Interviewed with a Product Manager in Pittsburgh. They seemed cold, uninterested, and generally busy. Asked generally about my current work at a startup, then asked how I would implement a very broad feature in Gmail. It was a very large question, and they offered no guidance or clarification on what they were looking for. Went down a bunch of roadways with a bit of disinterest. Finally asked me why I wanted to work at Google and not a startup, then the interviewer had to leave for a meeting.

Overall: short, disinterested, and cold.

Interview Questions

• Let's say we wanted to implement an Amazon Mayday like feature in Gmail. How would that work?   5 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Phone interview with a PM was pleasant and consisted of standard product manager type questions

In-person interview at HQ was less smooth. First interviewer showed up 15 minutes late and the whole day was late / rushed from there. Three 45-minute interviews before lunch, followed by a rushed lunch with a guy who made it clear he did not want to be there. After a 10 minute lunch, was whisked across campus to a room with broken teleconferencing equipment that did not zoom or allow use of the whiteboard. Final 2 interviews were via Google Hangout in the room with the broken equipment (the interviewers were on campus but apparently did not have time to walk over to the building I was in). Questions were standard difficulty but the lack of a whiteboard was annoying. Had 6 PMs and 1 engineer as interviewers.

Overall, very surprised that Google was so rushed and disorganized, and people were fairly harried and rude throughout. Didn't seem like such a pleasant place to work.

Also: Didn't seem very diverse. Out of 6 total interviewers plus my lunch companion, I never met a single female product manager or female engineer, all men.

Interview Questions

• When are Bayesian methods more appropriate than "Artificial Intelligence" techniques for predictive analytics?   2 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Internal recruiter had reached out to me directly via LinkedIn. I found all of the background material forwarded to me by the recruiter (interview tips, working at Google, etc.) extremely helpful. The conducting of the interview met the expectations set in the prep material so definitely recommend that candidates go through it thoroughly.

Phone interview was performed with an existing Product Manager.

Interview Questions

• Take a grocery app - what would be the features you would suggest?   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Quick (1/2 hour) and fairly generic. Must have been 10 other candidates, likely for other jobs, in the lobby at the same time as me. Interviewer seemed engaged and was interested in my background. Odd they never asked for a resume. Only looked at my linkedin profile for background information and job history.

Interview Questions

• How well would I work in a face paced environment   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone screen followed by on-site interview. Had four product interviews and one technical interview. Three interviews were by PMs and one was a Group PM. The technical interview was led by an engineer. Questions were fairly standard, how would you improve the in-store shopping experience, what will be the impact of self-driving cars, how many buildings are built in California etc.

Interview Questions

• What will be the impact of self-driving cars?   4 Answers