Google Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Product Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Google

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Started with one phone interview with a Product Management recruiter (very friendly), then 4 weeks later 3 interviews with PMs from different areas of the company. The first 2 were challenging but PMs wanted to be part of your thought process. 3rd interview was a lot more technical, with "estimates" questions and hard to follow.

Interview Questions

• How would you reduce bandwidth consumption in search when users from third 3rd world countries search?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google in September 2015.

Interview

I received an email from the Google recruiter asking if I would be interested in the PM role. We had a 15 min informational call. The recruiter was very polite and provided background about the role and responsibilities.
    For the phone screen interview, the interviewer was late, gave a 3 line introduction and jumped into questions. The interview ended on time and there were 2 mins for me to ask the interviewer one question, to which I received a very vague answer. Not sure about the interviewer's experience level, did not sound like much. I do not think this guy would have passed an interview at my company.
    The whole interview seemed rushed, and the interviewer seemed disinterested and arrogant. The call quality was poor, it disconnected a couple of times, I could hear my voice echo during most of the call.
    Received a very polite email from the recruiter that my background did not match the role.

It seems that the same issues were experienced by many other candidates as well, hopefully they are reading these reviews and will make improvements.

Interview Questions

• Nothing exceptional, the regular questions: how would you monitor performance of a feature, what measurements would you use... if X statistic reduced, would that be a good or a bad thing...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Kirkland, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

lengthy all day affair with back to back interviews. most everyone was great but asked me a programming question for a language I had not done in 20 years, while the interviewer said this was a mean question he was still going to ask. that being said the methodology of hiring based on difference of opinion meaning if 5 people love you and one likes you then they don't hire more particularly they all need to like you the same is strange to me but otherwise was a pleasant experience

Interview Questions

• how would I design a mars rover?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I was referred for the PM position by a Google employee. The process was quick for how large Google is. Within a week I received an email asking for my availability to setup an interview with one of their product managers. The coordinating process was a breeze. There was an initial phone screen which provided an overview of the PM role and gave me a chance to ask questions, followed by a 45 minute phone interview with a Google Product Manager one week later. Most of the interview guides on Glassdoor were very helpful. I was turned down because of my lack of technical experience. Google prides themselves on having extremely technical PMs, so study up. If you don't have a CS degree, you should have a lot of real world programming experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background   Answer Question
    • Case: How would you go about designing _______ for _______? (i.e. a video app for the elderly)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

45 min over the phone. Followed by a day of interview at the headquarter in Mountain View. Lots of interaction with the recruiter.
    Several questions - very little on my background. Mostly around 'How would you estimate/evaluate...'. Analytical questions, nothing particularly difficult.

Interview Questions

• over the phone interview: how would you estimate the market size for 'rocket boots'?
      Several standard PM questions when on site - off the book nothing that I was not prepared for, just standard ' how would you ...' questions. Did not strike me they were really interesting and well thought questions.

Throughout the entire process I could not get off my head the way the interviewer over the phone interacted with me. My phone interview latest 45 min. Right off, the interview did not properly introduced himself. He quickly said his name and nothing else. Engagement: 0%. He was on speaker phone and despite me mentioning there was a lot of noise/feedback in the room he did not even make an effort to eliminate it. He jumped right away into an analytical question. So here I am, 20+ experience in Prod mgmt, and I am being asked to evaluate the market size of 'rocket boots'. Great! I spoke at length about sizing and evaluations, how to narrow down the target using different techniques. He clearly was a very junior person, did not even know about analysts ( never heard of Gartner). Had no clue about Android vs IOS. During the discussion he would hang on peculiar details with honestly had no bearing on the overall conversation. His tone sounded somewhat arrogant.
      In the last few minutes I was asked if I had any more questions, so I inquired about his reason for joining Google and what motivates him. He simply said ' because of the very good engineers' . Such a plain, vanilla, boring comment. Could have done much better and put a bit more effort into the conversation. On-site Interview were on and off. Some guys with big egos and some very nice people.
      All in all, I did not feel Google was a good match. Pay is not that great and I would have never worked together with this guy in case I had to. I am sure there any many valuable people in the company. I must have gotten the rotten apple.   Answer Question

Not a good match - too much egos around - sorry

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Google in August 2015.

Interview

Google recruiter approached me for an interview per my profile mentioned at social sites/ blogs, and set the telephonic, followed by on-site interviews. Overall easy and simple process. Of course, they asked about location preference, and few HR related questions.

Interview Questions

• What 8 videos you will project on YouTube home screen, given the user is login first time and no history/ analytics is available for that user?   5 Answers
    • How would you know if website traffic has been reduced after adding a feature? what would you do?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Had one video interview with the hiring manager – mostly behavioral questions followed by a second interview with a team member that was more technical. Focus on the 2nd interview was again on challenging behavioral type scenarios

Note, they no longer ask their famous Google questions like number of manhole covers and piano tuners so dont waste time on those.

Was then invited to Mountain View for a face to face. Their face to face interviews are typically with 4 people (their analysis has shown four to be the right number) and last half a day.
    I interviewed with the hiring manager, a business partner and they also always interview with an individual outside the function you are applying for. I was told a week later by the recruiter that my candidacy would not be considered further. Was unfortunately, never routed to the hiring Committee for decioning which is the last step of the process.

From the get-go the recruiter explains that their hiring process is very fact-based and scientific. However at the end, the reasons for passing on me were very vague and ambiguous. I pressed for details but none came. For a scientific process, it sure felt like the final decision was very subjective (basically told my experience was in old economy type companies not new age Internet companies which is what they were looking for)

Final point – you must nail every interview, don’t assume one interview is more important or significant then another; the hiring manager can love you but if one other individual doesn’t agree you are the right person, that person can stop the process dead in its tracks.

Interview Questions

• - Difficult colleague – how did you deal with it?
      - What’s your strategy in meeting objectives within a project with extremely tight deadlines?
      - Favorite Google product – how would you improve it?
      - Many questions from the CV (know your CV inside out)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

Mechanical, tight, like a well oiled machine, but it made it pretty clear that the anti-corporate culture they pioneered is dying by the day. It was very interesting to see the inner workings of Google. They paid to fly me out, paid for a rental car and hotel while I was there. It was worth the trip regardless that I was uninterested in the job.

Interview Questions

• How would you make Google Calendar better.   1 Answer

I didn't feel like I fit well with such a large company, and was more interested in a smaller startup culture.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Contacted a Google PM recruiter. He scheduled an interview. Came in for 6 on-site interviews, back-to-back, ranging from PMs, to UX manager, to engineering/technical, to PM director. Got called back that I didn't get the role, but it was close and I should try again in a year.

Interview Questions

• Describe something that you disagreed with executive management on and how did you convince them to change their mind.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2015.

Interview

2 back to back 1:1 interviews, half behavioral and half case. I was the last person to be interviewed. Interviewers seemed very uninterested, unenthusiastic, and drained from a long morning of interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed.   Answer Question
    • What is a company that is doing bad marketing and why? How would you fix it if you were marketing director?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time that you faced a challenge.   Answer Question
    • What can you tell me about yourself that is not on your resume?   Answer Question