Google Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Product Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Google

3.3

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in March 2015.

Interview

I applied through a Google Recruiter I met at one of the Google events for developers at their Mountain View campus.

Initially, there was a some miscommunication where the recruiter assumed I was applying for a technical position when in fact I was looking for a product management position.

Once that got cleared, I had a phone interview with a senior product management professional. Overall, this phone interview lasted about an hour.

Interview Questions

• Q. How would you change Google Inbox? List some of the use cases for a selfless driving car.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

First you work with a recruiter who decides whether to put you through to the next round. Next you have a phone interview, where a current Product Manager begins by asking several questions. Why Product Manager, why Google, etc. Then you are given several case questions. These questoins can be oddly specific and stump even the best efforts to prepare. No feedback is given.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (Kirkland, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

The last interviewer was via video conference. In the beginning, I could hear his voice small and remotely, although we tried everything. Several times I had to ask him to repeat, and that limited my interaction with him. Also, although he could hear me, I was unconsciously trying hard all the way to speak loud due to empathy.
      In the middle of an interview question, his voice was completely gone. 5 minutes later the IT lady came in again, tried everything, it still didn't work. She then went to prepare another room. 5 minutes later, I had to move to another room, rewrite what I just wrote on the whiteboard (because I needed to prioritize the list of features the next step).
      This last interview was quite disturbing and definitely impacted my performance.
      I requested the hiring committee to take this into account (say, discount the last interview result, or quickly reschedule 1 interview since I live locally), and got a No.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Cambridge, MA) in January 2011.

Interview

multiple phone interviews, quizzing, and random one on one phone calls from team members. It was a bit chaotic and seemingly unorganized. I think it actually was strategically planned to be so because Google tends to look for a cultural fit before they look for a technical fit, or at least they look for culture as much as technical for their candidates.

Interview Questions

• What makes up the octet of an IP range? Why is it important in routing?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (San Jose, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I was interviews for a "general" PM position, meaning there was no particular opening for this role. However if pass a position could be created for you. This was a pre-text.
    Phone interview lasted 45min sharp, then we switch to "about company" question and it was about 15-20min. Interviewer introduced himself as it was expected, but was more interested in me looking up his LinkedIn profile ( himself) than in interviewing me. He mislead me on his education degree/major. He presented himself as Ph.D. in Computer Science from Ivy league University, while in fact he is MBA as found out after the interview. Naturally, I talked to him as he is CS Ph.D, that skewed the whole conversation into entirely different dimension. The phone signal went out of range three times in row during the interview, making me feel this interview is not important. Overall feel was, too easy, something is missing here.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Phone interview was the only one I had. It would have been followed by an on-site meeting with a few PMs and then possibly another one. I didnt get to that.

Interview Questions

• Do you know product XYZ ? How would you design its launch ? How would you know which features to add ? What features would you add to it ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The process was quite involved. It started a 3 rounds of phone interviews and then I was finally invited to come up to Google HQ for an onsite interview. I arrived on site and met with the HR coordinator first and then a series of other Google PMs who spent about an hour each with me. There were no algorithm questions but al lot of open-ended product design questions

Interview Questions

• A number of "product design" questions such as "How would you design ....". The goal was to access my thought process and problem solving skills   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

They are clear about the steps and length involved. The questions are hard and abstract. However, some of them get a bit too far fetched and makes me wonder if they aren't more in the brain teaser territory. It was only Product Managers interviewing with "case" type questions the entire time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Kirkland, WA) in September 2015.

Interview

One phone screen then five onsite interviews plus one hour lunch 'chat' that is not included in the feedback.
    Phone Interview: You are a small-medium retailer. How would you plan to implement online ordering with pickup in store? Follow-up questions on location, managing inventory, experience for pcikup versus online shopper etc.
    On Site:
    1. Product Strategy - suppose you were Google CEO, what would your strategy be?
    2. Product Launch - suppose I want to launch a death star, how would you go about that?
    3. Debugging - Youtube has a performance problem with page load in some region, how do you diagnose.
    4. Technical Depth - tell me what happens when you press enter after typing google.com into the browser.
    5. Product Design - design a replacement for set top box in hotel room.

Interview Questions

• See above for questions. The product design question on designing a replacement for a set top box was the most significant.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process at Google is very organized and structured. There are defined criteria and interviewers document their scoring during the interview. The process and criteria will be clearly communicated if you get selected for an interview. One thing to note is that all interview feedback is documented in detail and is referenced in the future when applying to other positions.

Interview Questions

• 1. Design a mobile social app for a chain of local orthodontist offices.
      2. What are the number of new book titles published in the U.S. each year?   1 Answer