Google Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 8, 2017

3.3

240 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Kirkland, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

Mostly good but it seemed the tech guy and one PM out of 4 was intimidated by my experience, they kept asking un-related questions and with unrealistic assumptions and wrong logic, their reasoning was flawed too.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Even having a Google employee friend refer me for this job I had to do many rounds of interviews including a computer science knowledge test over Google hangouts video chat.

Interview Questions

• What are the different ways to find out the location of a user that connects to internet services through a browser?   2 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I will try to be candid in my response and by no means are any of these frustrating remarks but rather a very well thought out feedback on why Google interview is a bit of luck than real evaluation of a candidate's talent. I am also on the interview panel of my company (a company slightly larger or equal size as google) and have been on both sides of the board i.e. have interviewed more than 20 candidates for PM roles.

1. Start of interview: My interviewer was very vague about using his name and was had hesitation on providing the last name. I asked 2nd time just so I do not mis-pronounce it however, he chose not to provide which was awkward.

2. The interviewer yawned 2-3 times which shows his/her dis-interest in interviewing.

3. I believe that Google is an amazing place where diversity is celebrated and it is the character of the company. (best one) however my interviewer seemed to not respect the diversity. I could feel that in the way he stressed on few skill set almost in a demeaning manner.

4. Tech skills are necessary but not if the interviewer asks about a particular tech question on a particular product. There are 151 google products today and its hard to study each one. I would tell my candidate a list of 10 or even 20 products to be really good at if I test their technical chops. The interviewer was unfair testing me on 1 question that I remember and the reaction was again very demeaning.

5. Last, I did get a chance to ask question; BUT only 1 question as the interviewer wanted to drop. Typically I take a lot of time to answer questions that candidates have (we are talking about non product related - only role related). The worst case I would answer 1 question and make the candidate feel good. The Google interviewer answered my question in 1 word. e.g. Wow you have been at google for 10 years, how do you like it? :) - The answer: In a stern and rude tone "good" ... a long pause... "if I did not like, why would be hanging around here!"

All-in-all many of the glassdoor interview experience are true and I did not feel motivated or felt as a opportunity lost, because if there are other people like my interviewer - I'd rather prefer to work somewhere else.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google in November 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screen for a Product Manager position in no particular part of Google. This was on the heels of two other phone screens and a full day of on-site interviews for a Technical Program Manager role. (That experience was a boondoggle of its own. After flying me to CA the recruiter went MIA mid-process - emails even bounced back - and there was no follow-up. They ultimately told me they lost headcount for the position.)

A generally combative man interviewed me for the Product Manager. He made virtually zero attempt to understand my skills and 20-years of industry experience. Instead, he chose to berate me with two questions for virtually the entire call.

Overall, I felt my interviewer’s demeanor was consistent with the 10 or so “Googlers” I’ve met so far, which is to say generally arrogant and challenging. He was not the type of person I’d want to work with, and I’m grateful I did not advance in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• There were just two questions the entire hour. How would you solve homelessness in downtown San Francisco? What is the market for driverless cars in the year 2020?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

It was an average interview. Looked like I did well but did not get an offer. 'Referred to decode and conquer ' and Cracking the PM interview book. Have to remember to show passion to work for the company I guess i did not do that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2015.

Interview

2 back to back 1:1 interviews, half behavioral and half case. I was the last person to be interviewed. Interviewers seemed very uninterested, unenthusiastic, and drained from a long morning of interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed.   Answer Question
    • What is a company that is doing bad marketing and why? How would you fix it if you were marketing director?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time that you faced a challenge.   Answer Question
    • What can you tell me about yourself that is not on your resume?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me and spoke with me for 15 mins.

I was surprised with the way the process was handled from start to finish. Firstly, there were a bunch of hands offs during recruiting process until the on-site. And on the day of the on-site I met a few product managers who came off as complete jerks who do not understand the notion of a meaningful professional conversation. By the end of the loop, I had reached a conclusion that Google seriously needs to train employees on communication and interviewing skills.

The people I met was a clear indication that I will not be joining this company.

This was a complete let down of expectations, especially from one of the top technology companies to work for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (San Jose, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I was interviews for a "general" PM position, meaning there was no particular opening for this role. However if pass a position could be created for you. This was a pre-text.
    Phone interview lasted 45min sharp, then we switch to "about company" question and it was about 15-20min. Interviewer introduced himself as it was expected, but was more interested in me looking up his LinkedIn profile ( himself) than in interviewing me. He mislead me on his education degree/major. He presented himself as Ph.D. in Computer Science from Ivy league University, while in fact he is MBA as found out after the interview. Naturally, I talked to him as he is CS Ph.D, that skewed the whole conversation into entirely different dimension. The phone signal went out of range three times in row during the interview, making me feel this interview is not important. Overall feel was, too easy, something is missing here.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

They warn you ahead of time that the interview process will take months but it was surprising nonetheless. The interviews were fun, I went through a pretty light phone screen with a recruiter, a more rigorous screening with an existing PM, and then three rounds of onsite interviews for one day. After about a week, I heard back from the company saying they would pass on me for now and re-apply, but they refused to give any feedback, which would have been helpful for upcoming interviews and to understand what I could work on if I should re-apply.

Interview Questions

• The NBA championships are about to happen and you produce merchandise showcasing the winning team--but, you don't know which team that will be. What do you produce and how much do you produce to dress the stadium visitors with merchandise?   2 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google in September 2015.

Interview

I received an email from the Google recruiter asking if I would be interested in the PM role. We had a 15 min informational call. The recruiter was very polite and provided background about the role and responsibilities.
    For the phone screen interview, the interviewer was late, gave a 3 line introduction and jumped into questions. The interview ended on time and there were 2 mins for me to ask the interviewer one question, to which I received a very vague answer. Not sure about the interviewer's experience level, did not sound like much. I do not think this guy would have passed an interview at my company.
    The whole interview seemed rushed, and the interviewer seemed disinterested and arrogant. The call quality was poor, it disconnected a couple of times, I could hear my voice echo during most of the call.
    Received a very polite email from the recruiter that my background did not match the role.

It seems that the same issues were experienced by many other candidates as well, hopefully they are reading these reviews and will make improvements.

Interview Questions

• Nothing exceptional, the regular questions: how would you monitor performance of a feature, what measurements would you use... if X statistic reduced, would that be a good or a bad thing...   Answer Question