Google Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Product Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Google

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

The phone interview lasted about 45 minutes. Covered a couple of recent roles on the resume, one analytical question (see below) and one long term business growth/competition scenario analysis.

The onsite interview lasted about 5 hours and as many interviews. Each interviewer asked analytical questions similar to those in the phone interview. All questions fit roughly these patterns - for fictitious product/scenario arrive at a formula and use it to provide a number for total size, speed etc.; prioritization exercise for desirable changes to an existing internet product or a new product.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google in November 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screen for a Product Manager position in no particular part of Google. This was on the heels of two other phone screens and a full day of on-site interviews for a Technical Program Manager role. (That experience was a boondoggle of its own. After flying me to CA the recruiter went MIA mid-process - emails even bounced back - and there was no follow-up. They ultimately told me they lost headcount for the position.)

A generally combative man interviewed me for the Product Manager. He made virtually zero attempt to understand my skills and 20-years of industry experience. Instead, he chose to berate me with two questions for virtually the entire call.

Overall, I felt my interviewer’s demeanor was consistent with the 10 or so “Googlers” I’ve met so far, which is to say generally arrogant and challenging. He was not the type of person I’d want to work with, and I’m grateful I did not advance in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• There were just two questions the entire hour. How would you solve homelessness in downtown San Francisco? What is the market for driverless cars in the year 2020?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

It was an average interview. Looked like I did well but did not get an offer. 'Referred to decode and conquer ' and Cracking the PM interview book. Have to remember to show passion to work for the company I guess i did not do that.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I will try to be candid in my response and by no means are any of these frustrating remarks but rather a very well thought out feedback on why Google interview is a bit of luck than real evaluation of a candidate's talent. I am also on the interview panel of my company (a company slightly larger or equal size as google) and have been on both sides of the board i.e. have interviewed more than 20 candidates for PM roles.

1. Start of interview: My interviewer was very vague about using his name and was had hesitation on providing the last name. I asked 2nd time just so I do not mis-pronounce it however, he chose not to provide which was awkward.

2. The interviewer yawned 2-3 times which shows his/her dis-interest in interviewing.

3. I believe that Google is an amazing place where diversity is celebrated and it is the character of the company. (best one) however my interviewer seemed to not respect the diversity. I could feel that in the way he stressed on few skill set almost in a demeaning manner.

4. Tech skills are necessary but not if the interviewer asks about a particular tech question on a particular product. There are 151 google products today and its hard to study each one. I would tell my candidate a list of 10 or even 20 products to be really good at if I test their technical chops. The interviewer was unfair testing me on 1 question that I remember and the reaction was again very demeaning.

5. Last, I did get a chance to ask question; BUT only 1 question as the interviewer wanted to drop. Typically I take a lot of time to answer questions that candidates have (we are talking about non product related - only role related). The worst case I would answer 1 question and make the candidate feel good. The Google interviewer answered my question in 1 word. e.g. Wow you have been at google for 10 years, how do you like it? :) - The answer: In a stern and rude tone "good" ... a long pause... "if I did not like, why would be hanging around here!"

All-in-all many of the glassdoor interview experience are true and I did not feel motivated or felt as a opportunity lost, because if there are other people like my interviewer - I'd rather prefer to work somewhere else.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Google Recruiter reached out to me. I had a phone screen with the recruiter which is primarily experience based.
    Once that's done you have 1 phone screen with a Product Manager.
    If you clear that, you're asked onsite for a round of interviews. It usually involves speaking to 3-5 interviewers.
    There can be a technical round, but it looks like in recent times most of the interviews have been very product focused. The email I got from the recruiter said that it's unlikely that you'll be asked algorithm questions (but it's best to be prepared anyway).
    I had 3 interviews + 1 lunch interview which is totally non evaluative.
    On the whole the process is quite fun and the people were really nice.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview:

1) Design a Washer and Dryer - You need to ask the interviewer questions about who the users would be. When I asked him, he said "The same sort of people who would buy a nest thermostat (Younger, more tech savvy and somewhat affluent).
      2) How would you measure the success of Apple's WWDC event (This year vs Last Year). Note: The key here is to discern the difference between the event itself being better vs Apple releasing cooler stuff this year thereby getting more press coverage etc.
      3) How would you improve Youtube

Onsite:

1st Interview:
      1) Latest trends in technology
      2) What are the network implications of a handheld device meant for elementary schools kids
      3) If Google has invented a way to make air travel 4x cheaper and 4x faster, what would you do with this technology?

2nd Interview:
      1) Design an app for the dmv
      2) Explain recursion to my grandma
      3) You have an ecommerce site in Spain and you've just localized this and now see that traffic has reduced. What could be the reasons.
      4) Give me 3 features you like about your favorite google product and 3 that you would improve.

3rd Interview:
      1) How would you improve throughput of an airport by 100%
      2) You've done all this stuff to improve throughput , what are the implications for the airport itself
      3) How much storage space is required to host all the images of Google street view.
      4) You see starbucks' on either side of the road sometimes, why do you think Starbucks Corp does this?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Was referred by a Google employee. Brought onsite for lunch and and a 1:1 chat. Phone interview with hiring manager. Of course, any visit to the Google offices is exciting, and is designed to make you want to work there even more than you already do. Phone interview with hiring manager was pleasant enough. My situation was unique as I was deciding whether to shutter my own startup to sign on with Google.

Interview Questions

• If you could redesign the NYC transit system without limitations, what would you do?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

1) Call with Recruiter
    2) Call with Product Manager Manager
    3) On-Site, full-day. 3 morning interviews with Product Managers, lunch with a PM, and then if they morning was successful 2 interviews with a Director and a Senior Engineer. The onsite interview day itself was very disorganized with people not knowing who was interviewing me next and where I had to be. Further, the person who I was supposed to have lunch with showed up late. Each interviewer wasn't connected to the next and it felt very sporadic and unplanned.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite Google product?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

Pros:
    - Received a recruiter email to setup a phone screen within 2 weeks of submitting resume

Cons:
    - phone screen interview is pretty fixed, jumps straight into the questions within 45 min timeframe.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google in February 2015.

Interview

Good experience. Recruiter call, followed by 45mins phone interview with random product manager from any group in Google. Good experience to see and feel google up close. Once you are on the campus, you would pray that interview goes well. Lovely campus. 2 of the interviews were on google hangout. All interviewers were decently nice.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview: Asked questions about estimate the average amount of $$ in credit card balance across US. And asked how would you use Google Wallet to solve people's cash flow problem.

On site interview with 4-5 people. One question was about Pizza shop. How to make a decision on advertisement vs no-advertisement. How to estimate the size of total storage needed for inbox. How would you improve facebook. Interview with engineering person included designing a streaming service (live stream video and send it to people interested in watching it)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I was contacted out of the blue by one of their "channel specialist" recruiters - basically people who try to find "passive" candidates. I'm not looking, but hey may as well talk to Google right?

We did a nice 30 minute call with a follow-on where she would try to find relevant positions within the Google. I was expecting more detailed questions, but it felt very much like they are just quickly doing triage on potential candidates.

Interview Questions

• previous experiences in the broad sense   1 Answer
    • specifically what frameworks and tools   1 Answer