Google Product Manager Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Google Product Manager Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Jun 8, 2017

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn saying my profile would be a great fit and he would like to talk with me. We exchanged several emails, agreed on a time, and then he never showed up to the phone interview. He didn't respond to any of my follow up emails asking what happened. Very unprofessional.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Very poor and demanding. And programming... funny.
    Treated people like a artificial intelligence machines. Crazy. Corporation will always be corporation. Marketing doesn't matter.

Very poor and demanding. And programming... funny.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

An excruciatingly long process from start to finish. From multiple telephone interviews to a full-day of interviews at Google's London offices. The full-day of interviews could have been easily conducted within an hour as the questions presented were all roughly along the same theme.

My first interview was conducted by a guy who really didn't want to be there. That unfortunately set the tone for the rest of the day. The arrogance of the "director" interview (third interview) put me off Google altogether, so I was looking to leave fairly quickly after that. Playing on your phone and laptop in a 1:1 interview is rude, no matter who you are. As a contractor, that day of interviews cost me over £600 - the least you could do was read my CV and listen to what I had to say. In total, I would estimate the process took around 14 hours of my time over 5 months.

Overall I dodged a bullet by not working there, but blown away by the organisation.

Interview Questions

• Critical thinking - looking at your approach to solving estimation questions - e.g. estimate number of trees in a forest.   1 Answer
    • General product design. Looking at how you go about solving design issues, mainly UI/functional   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online. No reply for 3 weeks. Things started moving after I contacted a sourcer asking what’s the status. It took 2 weeks to arrange the phone interview. Some materials were sent, asking me to prepare and study for the interview. Who has time for that nowadays?

I was interviewed by another product manager. The interview was rushed. It felt like the interviewer was following a script. After a brief introduction, I was bombarded by several abstract open-ended questions. For example:

* What advice would you give to the CEO of Google?
    * Pick something that annoys you about a product and describe how would you eliminate that?
    * How do you calculate how many calories are in a grocery store?

Having years of experience in product management for another globally known consumer company and having interviewed product managers myself, I tried to demonstrate critical thinking and my approach to problem solving, but apparently it was not enough. Perhaps I hesitated a little bit or didn’t describe my approach well enough. I was not sure what the interviewer was looking for, so it was hard to elaborate. It felt like he got stuck with his questions, he didn’t probe enough.

I guess I’m not the fastest thinker when being asked random abstract questions, but then again, this is not a critical factor in succeeding in almost any role. I don’t think the interviewer asked the right questions to evaluate my skills and knowledge.

Finally, he didn’t leave almost any time for questions to him. I usually allocate at least 1/4 of time for questions when I conduct interviews.

Considering the time and effort to go through the interview process and the randomness of getting through the interview, it’s no wonder they miss out on many talented people, who join startups instead.

PS. They declined my suggestion to use Google Hangout for the interview and opted for a phone call instead. I mean, we are in the 21st century already, why not have a video call using their own product?

Interview Questions

• How many calories are in a grocery store?   8 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in March 2013.

Interview

In March 2013 I applied for a Product Manager role in Europe.

I had a preliminary screening call with one of their recruiters, which was really useful. In fact, I found the recruiters to be really helpful throughout - sending through cheat sheets for the interview, etc.

I then had a call with a London-based Product Manager who had been in the role for 4.5 years. It was supposed to be a 45 min call but he rang late, so the whole thing felt really rushed. He didn't really refer to my CV at all, but seemed to be following a script. All throughout it felt like a game of fish - I obviously wasn't giving him the answers he was after. It was a frustrating experience.

I got rang the next week and told that I didn't have the product management experience needed at Google's scale. That was a frustrating answer, I thought they were interested in me precisely because I didn't fit the standard profile (I was the CEO of a UX firm).

Interview Questions

• * Imagine you were creating a search engine for events, how would you go about it?   3 Answers
    • * Imagine that Larry wants to know our quality on the maps front, how would you go about it?   Answer Question
    • * How would you redesign Evernote?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in March 2010.

Interview

The interviews were by engineers on technical knowledge and basic programming skills (e.g. understanding recursion and iteration), as well as product managers who covered business models, strategy, approach to designing products, and a lot of mental modelling and calculation exercises, to see how a candidate breaks down a problem and figures out a rough answer - in one or two cases a precise numeric value was required, not just a description of the variables that would be used to calculate it.