Google Quantitative Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Quantitative Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Apr 3, 2017

3.3

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Applied online. After 2 weeks, I got an email from a recruiter. Submitted a questionnaire and scheduled a phone interview. The phone screening interview ~ 15 min (mostly about research experience and background). Technical interview ~ 45 min (programming and stat questions).

Interview Questions

• What statistical methods did you apply in your research?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

After submitting online application, got a "basic competency" screening from a recruiter before scheduling a phone interview with an analyst. Then recommended for a flyout with four 45-minute interviews in Mountain View (+ lunch "interview"). They recommended me to the hiring committee who requested a follow-up interview, after which they made their decision.

I got along great with everyone I met and the recruiters were awesome and great facilitators. One downside was that the final follow-up interview left a bit of a bad taste, as there was some miscommunication about the topic and the interviewer was a bit off-putting. Initially, I was told the interview would focus on data analysis; the day before the interview, I was told it would focus on data analysis and statistics; and the interview ultimately eschewed analysis entirely and I was only asked statistics. I was also told it would be a video interview, but the interviewer either couldn't figure out how to connect (astonishing that an employee at Google couldn't figure out how to use Hangouts), or he just refused to do so; this is unfortunate because I feel much more comfortable on a phone interview, since I find it much easier to interact with someone when body language is involved. This was borne out throughout the interview, as I felt we were just not connecting -- I'm sure the feeling was mutual, which likely was a big factor in the outcome of the process. The interviewer further refused to use the shared coding document at the appropriate point of the interview -- I basically had to describe a for loop out loud, which, given the availability of such a document, why? It wasn't a particularly complicated loop, so it wasn't a communication test. Just a needless obstacle.

Interview Questions

• Phone interviewer asked some questions about my research, then gave me a Google-related question involving a difference-in-differences design, and another applied question involving creating a prediction system.   Answer Question
    • First onsite interviewer basically asked me some R questions -- how to load data, how to compute some group-level summary statistics.
      Second onsite interviewer asked me some basic stats questions -- interpreting coefficients, explaining good vs. bad dimension reduction approaches to a "layperson", then asked an applied question about evaluating two models used in Google search.
      Third onsite interviewer asked to compare two estimators (bias/consistency/efficiency), and how to evaluate results of a survey.
      Fourth onsite interviewer asked a stats question about optimal sequential behavior facing draws from an offer distribution without recall, then moved on to building a large-scale prediction model for a zero-inflated phenomenon at Google.
      Answer Question
    • Follow-up interviewer asked me a question about using MLE to estimate population size, followed by a stochastic dynamic programming problem -- setting up the value function, describing its expected properties, and detailing a numerical solution outline.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I have a friend there. I sent him my CV and after a week or so a google recruiter reached out to me.

At first they sent me by email like 10 or so questions. I had to write the answer and then send it back to them. Questions were the typical stuff you would get in an HR interview. They focus on the languages you know and description of a project. SQL and R seem to be the main languages they look for, I knew it from my friend already so I heavily targeted my answers towards those.

After this, they assigned me to a specific team for the recruiting process. It was SMB ads.

Then they sent me a data challenge. Nothing particularly hard. I had to send it back within 3 hrs. There are a few online resources for takehome challenges and this was definitely on the easy side compared to what I used to prepare.

Then they booked my trip to SF for a 1 day of interviews. Lots of stat questions: estimators, different distributions, and linear and logistic regression in details. No puzzles, which surprised me cause I heard so much about google puzzles (I even bought and practiced so much on that wall street book).

I didn't get the job, but the experience was very positive. I think they look for statisticians more than general quant people with some stat knowledge like me.

Interview Questions

• A questionnaire, a takehome challenge and lots of stats questions. Know well linear regression and logistic regression. For instance, they ask you to derive the OLS formula on the board.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Resume screening, and phone interview scheduled in 4 weeks. Process a bit long.

Talked to other friends who got interview for the same position yet the interview questions were completely different. Pretty much depending on the interviewer. My interviewer was kind and passionate about his work. He explained everything clearly and asked great questions to challenge your project. So the interview process was overall very rewarding.

Yet it seemed to me that the interviewer deliberately hid his discontent about your project. It is good in the sense of respecting your answer and your feelings, but "bad" in the sense of giving you the false hope.

HR very helpful, kind and responsible. Rejected timely.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

A Google recruiter contacted me for the role initially and set up a "phone" interview for a week later. The "phone" interview was in fact conducted through Google Hangout, and the person on the other end started 15 minute late - not a good sign. He was very apparently not interested in interviewing me at all. He spent the first 5 minutes looking at my resume without asking me anything, resulting in me trying to find things to say to fill the void.

He then started asking technical questions from a list he had. This person paid no attention to me or my answers at all throughout, typing away on his other computer (I could see it in the video) while occasionally giggling about whoever knows what funny things he saw. It would take him 15 seconds to realize I have stopped talking. He also just ignored any follow-up questions I had, essentially taking me waiting for his response as a signal that it's time to throw out the next question. I received no feedback whatsoever on my answers during the interview, and at the end the person simply said (quote) "A recruiter will contact you. Bye" and hang up. Did not say anything like thank you, and did not even leave me the time to say "Bye."

Overall extremely rude and unprofessional interviewer, and I got the expected rejection call a few days later. The recruiter was very nice, but they really need to work on what kind of people are allowed to interview others and represent the company. I wouldn't work here along this person even given a great offer.

Interview Questions

• Brainteaser-level probabilities, then a case question about a google product.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

google interview has three steps. one screening interview, one phone interview, failed on on-site interview. they will pay for on-site expenses, including flight and hotel. overall experience is good, they are looking for statisticians not data engineering.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google in August 2016.

Interview

I submitted my resume online, corresponded over e-mail with a recruiter, then spoke to her on the phone, then spoke to a second-year QA on the phone, then had a Google Hangout with a more senior QA. I specifically applied to a listing for YouTube, but the recruiter told me there is one hiring process for all Google/Alphabet quantitative analyst openings and that they'd figure out exactly which part I'd work for after they decided to hire me. The recruiter was very prompt in scheduling interviews. Unfortunately, what she told me to expect was mostly wrong. She told me I should prepare to solve statistics problem in Python or R, whichever I preferred. She said there would be no derivations of statistics results, just using those results to solve problems. Given how specific and confident her guidance was, I was disappointed by how completely backwards it turned out to be. Between two technical phone/Hangout interviews, I wasn't asked to code anything. I was only asked to derive various known equations. The questions were perfectly reasonable to ask and the interviewers were very friendly, though. The recruiter also said there would only be one phone/Hangout interview, but there were actually two. Nothing in the content of the interviews was a problem, but for a company the size and age of Google the process seemed disorganized and ad hoc.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google in August 2016.

Interview

Was contacted by linkedin recruiter. Did initial questionnaire about programming and big data experience. They set up a google hangout interview - did preparation with recruiter to have computer set up and studied suggestion material (by recruiter). Interview happened via phone-call (not video). Was contacted shortly after saying they did not want to move forward.

Interview Questions

• Talk about your programming experience and packages you use.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

It is phone screening, and asked me two questions which are put below. The interviewer is nice, and kindly describe the problems. I suppose the first question is very tricky, I involved in Bayes formula for a long time, so there is not much time for the second one. After the interview, I realized that there is no need to use Bayes formula at all.

Interview Questions

• 1. 100 students, make survey cheat/not cheat, student toss a coin, if head, tell truth, if tail, toss again, if Head then yes, if tail then no. 30 students answer yes, Q: how many student cheated?

2. Given an array, use bootstrap method to get the var of mean (I used R).

3. Can you write 2 in one line within function? ( so use apply() )
      5 Answers

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

A recruiter is in charge of your interview the whole process. One phone/screen interview and one onsite. Four one-to-one interviewers onsite. All technical questions plus some very specific questions about your project. These are questions at phone/screen.