Google Quantitative Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 18, 2017

3.3

63 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I was recommended by a Google employer. HR contacted me with a 12 questions questionnaire about data science, data analytics experiences. Followed by a phone screen with HR recruiter, and a subsequent 1 hour technical interview via google hangout presumably focused on statistics and probability. Tech interviewer was a non-english speaker and acting in a hurry. Two questions one on random variables from a uniform distribution, and a second open ended question on how to measure whether users liked videos. I thought I did well in answering the questions and making sure I talked and explained out loud my reasoning process. HR called me next day telling me they decided not to move forward. No explanations, no justifications. HR said he had no access to interview feedback. Just bizarre.

Interview Questions

• 3 random variables i.i.d from a uniform distribution 0 to 2, what is the probability that the median is > 1.5?
    How would you measure how much users liked videos.   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. The interview took 45 minutes, through google hangout. Questions are mainly about things on my resume, my previous work experience and research in school.

Interview Questions

• Explain confidence intervals to people with no statistics background.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Interview

They have pretty much standardized the process. The process did not deviate from what others have said -- recruiting screening, a technical phone screening, and then a half day onsite.

Interview Questions

• Assume X_i ~ i.i.d. Unif(0,1). What is the expected length of a sequence that is monotonically increasing when drawn from the distribution?   1 Answer

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

First let me intorduce myself and then my dissertation. Afterwards, he asked a question about questionnaire design, measurement error and estimate of the proportion of truly interested customers and falsely reporting rate.

Interview Questions

• Essentially is about how measurement error and reliability affect your regression estimate (or just the estimate of the probability in a binomial distribution).   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online. A online specialist got touched with me and arranged a screen interview for me. The experience is very good. I tried to prepare the questions they might ask me. But it is impossible to prepare. I was arranged with a manager of google maps. The questions were all about google maps. But I did't do very well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

After submitting online application, got a "basic competency" screening from a recruiter before scheduling a phone interview with an analyst. Then recommended for a flyout with four 45-minute interviews in Mountain View (+ lunch "interview"). They recommended me to the hiring committee who requested a follow-up interview, after which they made their decision.

I got along great with everyone I met and the recruiters were awesome and great facilitators. One downside was that the final follow-up interview left a bit of a bad taste, as there was some miscommunication about the topic and the interviewer was a bit off-putting. Initially, I was told the interview would focus on data analysis; the day before the interview, I was told it would focus on data analysis and statistics; and the interview ultimately eschewed analysis entirely and I was only asked statistics. I was also told it would be a video interview, but the interviewer either couldn't figure out how to connect (astonishing that an employee at Google couldn't figure out how to use Hangouts), or he just refused to do so; this is unfortunate because I feel much more comfortable on a phone interview, since I find it much easier to interact with someone when body language is involved. This was borne out throughout the interview, as I felt we were just not connecting -- I'm sure the feeling was mutual, which likely was a big factor in the outcome of the process. The interviewer further refused to use the shared coding document at the appropriate point of the interview -- I basically had to describe a for loop out loud, which, given the availability of such a document, why? It wasn't a particularly complicated loop, so it wasn't a communication test. Just a needless obstacle.

Interview Questions

• Phone interviewer asked some questions about my research, then gave me a Google-related question involving a difference-in-differences design, and another applied question involving creating a prediction system.   1 Answer
    • First onsite interviewer basically asked me some R questions -- how to load data, how to compute some group-level summary statistics.
      Second onsite interviewer asked me some basic stats questions -- interpreting coefficients, explaining good vs. bad dimension reduction approaches to a "layperson", then asked an applied question about evaluating two models used in Google search.
      Third onsite interviewer asked to compare two estimators (bias/consistency/efficiency), and how to evaluate results of a survey.
      Fourth onsite interviewer asked a stats question about optimal sequential behavior facing draws from an offer distribution without recall, then moved on to building a large-scale prediction model for a zero-inflated phenomenon at Google.   2 Answers
    • Follow-up interviewer asked me a question about using MLE to estimate population size, followed by a stochastic dynamic programming problem -- setting up the value function, describing its expected properties, and detailing a numerical solution outline.   1 Answer

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Applied online. After 2 weeks, I got an email from a recruiter. Submitted a questionnaire and scheduled a phone interview. The phone screening interview ~ 15 min (mostly about research experience and background). Technical interview ~ 45 min (programming and stat questions).

Interview Questions

• What statistical methods did you apply in your research?   1 Answer

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I have a friend there. I sent him my CV and after a week or so a google recruiter reached out to me.

At first they sent me by email like 10 or so questions. I had to write the answer and then send it back to them. Questions were the typical stuff you would get in an HR interview. They focus on the languages you know and description of a project. SQL and R seem to be the main languages they look for, I knew it from my friend already so I heavily targeted my answers towards those.

After this, they assigned me to a specific team for the recruiting process. It was SMB ads.

Then they sent me a data challenge. Nothing particularly hard. I had to send it back within 3 hrs. There are a few online resources for takehome challenges and this was definitely on the easy side compared to what I used to prepare.

Then they booked my trip to SF for a 1 day of interviews. Lots of stat questions: estimators, different distributions, and linear and logistic regression in details. No puzzles, which surprised me cause I heard so much about google puzzles (I even bought and practiced so much on that wall street book).

I didn't get the job, but the experience was very positive. I think they look for statisticians more than general quant people with some stat knowledge like me.

Interview Questions

• A questionnaire, a takehome challenge and lots of stats questions. Know well linear regression and logistic regression. For instance, they ask you to derive the OLS formula on the board.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Resume screening, and phone interview scheduled in 4 weeks. Process a bit long.

Talked to other friends who got interview for the same position yet the interview questions were completely different. Pretty much depending on the interviewer. My interviewer was kind and passionate about his work. He explained everything clearly and asked great questions to challenge your project. So the interview process was overall very rewarding.

Yet it seemed to me that the interviewer deliberately hid his discontent about your project. It is good in the sense of respecting your answer and your feelings, but "bad" in the sense of giving you the false hope.

HR very helpful, kind and responsible. Rejected timely.

Interview Questions

• Recent data project;
      Validity of your assumptions   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

The technical interview was unexpected. The interviewer did not ask a single question about statistics or programming. Rather I was asked a domain-specific question about Google ads, which continued for the rest of the interview. I was not expecting another data scientist interviewing me about a hypothetical feature. I am also not sure why the interviewer decided not to pursue further, even though I did well in brainstorming ideas on how to test a hypothetical feature in Google ads.

Interview Questions

• Question about Google ads: how would you test whether a new hypothetical feature is better than the current feature? What will be your metric? Apart from CTR, what other metrics can you think of?   2 Answers