Google Quantitative Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Quantitative Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Apr 24, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

The technical interview was unexpected. The interviewer did not ask a single question about statistics or programming. Rather I was asked a domain-specific question about Google ads, which continued for the rest of the interview. I was not expecting another data scientist interviewing me about a hypothetical feature. I am also not sure why the interviewer decided not to pursue further, even though I did well in brainstorming ideas on how to test a hypothetical feature in Google ads.

Interview Questions

• Question about Google ads: how would you test whether a new hypothetical feature is better than the current feature? What will be your metric? Apart from CTR, what other metrics can you think of?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

After submitting online application, got a "basic competency" screening from a recruiter before scheduling a phone interview with an analyst. Then recommended for a flyout with four 45-minute interviews in Mountain View (+ lunch "interview"). They recommended me to the hiring committee who requested a follow-up interview, after which they made their decision.

I got along great with everyone I met and the recruiters were awesome and great facilitators. One downside was that the final follow-up interview left a bit of a bad taste, as there was some miscommunication about the topic and the interviewer was a bit off-putting. Initially, I was told the interview would focus on data analysis; the day before the interview, I was told it would focus on data analysis and statistics; and the interview ultimately eschewed analysis entirely and I was only asked statistics. I was also told it would be a video interview, but the interviewer either couldn't figure out how to connect (astonishing that an employee at Google couldn't figure out how to use Hangouts), or he just refused to do so; this is unfortunate because I feel much more comfortable on a phone interview, since I find it much easier to interact with someone when body language is involved. This was borne out throughout the interview, as I felt we were just not connecting -- I'm sure the feeling was mutual, which likely was a big factor in the outcome of the process. The interviewer further refused to use the shared coding document at the appropriate point of the interview -- I basically had to describe a for loop out loud, which, given the availability of such a document, why? It wasn't a particularly complicated loop, so it wasn't a communication test. Just a needless obstacle.

Interview Questions

• Phone interviewer asked some questions about my research, then gave me a Google-related question involving a difference-in-differences design, and another applied question involving creating a prediction system.   1 Answer
    • First onsite interviewer basically asked me some R questions -- how to load data, how to compute some group-level summary statistics.
      Second onsite interviewer asked me some basic stats questions -- interpreting coefficients, explaining good vs. bad dimension reduction approaches to a "layperson", then asked an applied question about evaluating two models used in Google search.
      Third onsite interviewer asked to compare two estimators (bias/consistency/efficiency), and how to evaluate results of a survey.
      Fourth onsite interviewer asked a stats question about optimal sequential behavior facing draws from an offer distribution without recall, then moved on to building a large-scale prediction model for a zero-inflated phenomenon at Google.
      2 Answers
    • Follow-up interviewer asked me a question about using MLE to estimate population size, followed by a stochastic dynamic programming problem -- setting up the value function, describing its expected properties, and detailing a numerical solution outline.   1 Answer

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Applied online. After 2 weeks, I got an email from a recruiter. Submitted a questionnaire and scheduled a phone interview. The phone screening interview ~ 15 min (mostly about research experience and background). Technical interview ~ 45 min (programming and stat questions).

Interview Questions

• What statistical methods did you apply in your research?   1 Answer

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in January 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for a phone screen. Then I was invited for a 45 minute phone technical interview. The entire process took less than two weeks. I was not selected for further rounds.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my past experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Resume screening, and phone interview scheduled in 4 weeks. Process a bit long.

Talked to other friends who got interview for the same position yet the interview questions were completely different. Pretty much depending on the interviewer. My interviewer was kind and passionate about his work. He explained everything clearly and asked great questions to challenge your project. So the interview process was overall very rewarding.

Yet it seemed to me that the interviewer deliberately hid his discontent about your project. It is good in the sense of respecting your answer and your feelings, but "bad" in the sense of giving you the false hope.

HR very helpful, kind and responsible. Rejected timely.

Interview Questions

• Recent data project;
      Validity of your assumptions
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

There were one email, one phone screening, one tech phone interview and one on-site interview comprised of four tech interviews and one chance to talk to the employer during lunch time. The staff were very nice, the technical people are also easygoing, they are knowledgable and trying to guide me during the process.

Interview Questions

• technical stuff covering a lot of areas, very comprehensive   1 Answer

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google in May 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and briefly discussed the job over the phone. Next I had to fill out a written questionnaire that covered things like my skill set and related work. After returning the questionnaire, I was told that I was invited for a phone interview. About a week later I was invited to an in-person interview that lasted several hours. During the in-person interview I met with about 4 people one-on-one, some over video and some at the office. I heard back from the recruiter about 2-3 weeks after my in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to explain some of my research projects and they asked some probing questions about my work.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

A Google recruiter contacted me for the role initially and set up a "phone" interview for a week later. The "phone" interview was in fact conducted through Google Hangout, and the person on the other end started 15 minute late - not a good sign. He was very apparently not interested in interviewing me at all. He spent the first 5 minutes looking at my resume without asking me anything, resulting in me trying to find things to say to fill the void.

He then started asking technical questions from a list he had. This person paid no attention to me or my answers at all throughout, typing away on his other computer (I could see it in the video) while occasionally giggling about whoever knows what funny things he saw. It would take him 15 seconds to realize I have stopped talking. He also just ignored any follow-up questions I had, essentially taking me waiting for his response as a signal that it's time to throw out the next question. I received no feedback whatsoever on my answers during the interview, and at the end the person simply said (quote) "A recruiter will contact you. Bye" and hang up. Did not say anything like thank you, and did not even leave me the time to say "Bye."

Overall extremely rude and unprofessional interviewer, and I got the expected rejection call a few days later. The recruiter was very nice, but they really need to work on what kind of people are allowed to interview others and represent the company. I wouldn't work here along this person even given a great offer.

Interview Questions

• Brainteaser-level probabilities, then a case question about a google product.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

google interview has three steps. one screening interview, one phone interview, failed on on-site interview. they will pay for on-site expenses, including flight and hotel. overall experience is good, they are looking for statisticians not data engineering.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google in August 2016.

Interview

Was contacted by linkedin recruiter. Did initial questionnaire about programming and big data experience. They set up a google hangout interview - did preparation with recruiter to have computer set up and studied suggestion material (by recruiter). Interview happened via phone-call (not video). Was contacted shortly after saying they did not want to move forward.

Interview Questions

• Talk about your programming experience and packages you use.   Answer Question