Google SWE Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 14, 2017

3.4

20 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

SWE Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Online coding challenge about medium leetcodes. Then two 50 min phone interviews, medium leetcodes as well but increase in difficulty. Just be good at DS and algorithms and do leetcode problems. GRAPHS AND DP

Other Interview Reviews for Google

SWE Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through employee referral and was sent an online coding assessment. About a week after my assessment, I was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone interview, but about 3 days after, I was contacted again by the recruiter, who told me that Google has stopped hiring new grads this year, so we could no longer move forward with the interview.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that takes an int, and returns the maximum int that can be obtained by adding any two adjacent digits.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Was recruited before I graduated college. Spoke to recruiter several times, took an online code sample, had a Google Docs technical Interview. Finally, There was a full day at Google's onsite interview, which was 4-5 back to back technical interviews. I heard back a bit later that I did not pass

SWE Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Pretty intimidating but overall, questions were not as difficult as other technical internship. The phrasing of the interview questions that the interviewers give can throw someone off but as long as you know what they are explicitly asking, you can do well and talk through all the problems!

Interview Questions

• Given two ranges determine if the ranges overlap.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Cambridge, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

4 technical interviews on a variety of different topics, including systems design, recursive thinking, graph theory, and a couple of questions specific to my coding language of choice. There was not much talking about my past experience or projects or anything like that - Google assumes that you are competent and tests you on your ability to think on the spot, not have stuff prepared.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online through the application process. After waiting a couple of weeks, received word from the rep and then scheduled a phone interview. Called and was put onto a conference call and then was asked some basic questions about myself and then a couple/ few coding questions on whiteboard. After that there was another round of interviews.

Interview Questions

• What are you interested in?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Earlier in undergrad I had passed the interviews for an internship at google, but I was never matched with a host, so I never got the offer. A recruiter contacted me based on this and set up a phone screening followed by an onsite.

At the on-site I felt that the quality of 2/4 of my interviewers wasn't at the standard I expected. In one, I was hurried along and had to repeatedly ask for clarification on the very ambiguous problem he presented. It seemed like the interviewer didn't have time for me. In the other questionable interview, I feel that the interviewer used up a lot of the time just talking, which made me feel pressed for time, but despite this he had me rigorously explain mundane details, like running a test case to "prove" that heapify has linear efficiency, even when I offered to prove mathematically in less time.

Everything else was fine, and I'm fairly certain I answered everything optimally, so I guess you just have to get lucky enough to have all good interviewers that you can click with.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Was smooth. got contacted by a recruiter, then followed by a phone screen then an onsite. During the onsite the questions were not hard, but tricky, easy to miss cases. Each question was then followed by some design quesitons

SWE Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I told them I had a deadline at the very beginning and they were very quick about everything. I was contacted by the recruiter and was set up with an interview within the week. The recruiter and interviewers were all very nice. They weren't incredibly helpful during the interview and I definitely stumbled, but they understand when people thinking about the problem from a different way. Interview tip: rambling is better than silence. State all the assumptions. They really seemed to have liked it when I mentioned all the cases I would be dealing with and had me write down notes for each.

Anonymous Employee in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Telephone, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process had 3 back to back technical interviews, each 45 minutes long. I cleared the 3 technical rounds to move to the host matching phase. I was paired with the YouTube team.

Negotiation

No negotiation.