Google Interview Questions in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

1,595 Interview Reviews

3.5

1,595 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Direct onsite because I interviewed in the past and did well that time. From the time I sent my resume to interview day: 2 weeks. From interview day to offer over the phone: 2 weeks.

The syllabus for the interviews is very clear and simple:
    1) Dynamic Programming
    2) Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs)
    3) Probability related programs
    4) Graphs: BFS/DFS are usually enough
    5) All basic data structures from Arrays/Lists to circular queues, BSTs, Hash tables, B-Trees, and Red-Black trees, and all basic algorithms like sorting, binary search, median,...
    6) Problem solving ability at a level similar to TopCoder Division 1, 250 points. If you can consistently solve these, then you are almost sure to get in with 2-weeks brush up.
    7) Review all old interview questions in Glassdoor to get a feel. If you can solve 95% of them at home (including coding them up quickly and testing them out in a debugger + editor setup), you are in good shape.
    8) Practice coding--write often and write a lot. If you can think of a solution, you should be able to code it easily...without much thought.
    9) Very good to have for design interview: distributed systems knowledge and practical experience.
    10) Good understanding of basic discrete math, computer architecture, basic math.
    11) Coursera courses and assignments give a lot of what you need to know.
    12) Note that all the above except the first 2 are useful in "real life" programming too!

Interview 1:
    Graph related question and super recursion

Interview 2:
    Design discussion involving a distributed system with writes/reads going on at different sites in parallel.

Interview 3:
    Array and Tree related questions

Interview 4:
    Designing a simple class to do something. Not hard, but not easy either. You need to know basic data structures very well to consider different designs and trade-offs.

Interview 5:
    Dynamic programming,
    Computer architecture and low level perf. enhancement question which requires knowledge of Trees, binary search, etc.

At the end, I wasn't tired and rather enjoyed the discussions. I think the key was long term preparation and time spent doing topcoder for several years (on and off as I enjoy solving the problems).

Conclusion: "It's not the best who win the race; it's the best prepared who win it."

Negotiation

You can and should negotiate politely. You are in a stronger position if you have another offer, but even otherwise, you should ask for more of every type of payment!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview went seemingly smoothly, except for a couple quirks in the code on the whiteboard. The questions were way easier than I expected. The interviewers were not intimidating at all and did not try to make the process stressful. I felt like I passed and according to HR, the overall feedback was positive. My application went to the hiring committee which, in turn, rejected the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Awesome process. Very simple questions. Keep your nerves cool. Don't worry about very complex questions on the Internet. Do basics and you should be good. I screwed up two simple questions and not expecting offer. I will apply again next year .

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

The phone interview lasted about 45 minutes. Covered a couple of recent roles on the resume, one analytical question (see below) and one long term business growth/competition scenario analysis.

The onsite interview lasted about 5 hours and as many interviews. Each interviewer asked analytical questions similar to those in the phone interview. All questions fit roughly these patterns - for fictitious product/scenario arrive at a formula and use it to provide a number for total size, speed etc.; prioritization exercise for desirable changes to an existing internet product or a new product.

Software Engineer - Web Applications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

2 phone screens, 1 full-day interview. Was successful through many rounds, but ultimately fell short due to unknown reasons. Recruiter was stunned as well and couldn't really tell me why.

Interview Questions

• Asked a lot of questions revolving algorithms and other core CS concepts. Only one of the interviews was specific to the actual job being applied to (core web and frontend).   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Skipped the phone screen and went straight to onsite interview. Recruiter wasn't in the office that day and there were a few logistical hiccups in the morning but otherwise went fine.

Interview Questions

• Given a 2D matrix find the path with the maximum product.   1 Answer
    • Design an algorithm for a Roomba cleaning bot.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Did an all day interview at Google in CA. Had 5 interviewers grill me on questions ranging from graph theory to binary search tree algorithms. A lunch break where we got some good food and I had time to learn more about Google was nice. The interviews were sadly, mostly about them learning what algorithms you know versus your experience. Very little time to actually learn about where you might actually end up.

Interview Questions

• Implement the Java String.contains method and describe the speed of your implementation.   Answer Question

Legal Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

After an initial phone interview with the recruiter that took about 20 minutes, there was a meeting with the recruiter in person followed by an interview with some people at legal department totaling about 40 minutes, then some 1:1 at engineering departments, each 20-30 minutes

Interview Questions

• was asked to write an algorithm to solve a sorting problem   Answer Question

Staffing Channels Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Best candidate experience in the Bay. From initial contact to final feedback, communication was authentic and consistent. The interview process was fun! Patience is helpful. Also, take responsibility for asking the right questions.

Interview Questions

• Mix of BBI and hypothetical.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a phone interview. Submitted resume over Google recruit site. As a new graduate I was given an email with some links to study on the scale of the coming interview and a bunch of papers about GFS, bigtable and such stuff.. HR reached out to me in two weeks via email after the resume was sent. She was helpful and responsive. During the phone interview, the interviewer got straight forward to coding without asking anything about the resume. Overall it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Given a sorted array, find all the numbers that occur more than n/4 times.   Answer Question
    • Given a list of words, find the longest prefix that applies to all words.   Answer Question