Google Security Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Security Engineer Interview Questions

3.6

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

Resume submitted online at Google Jobs site and picked up by a recruiter. 1 phone screen, then passed to a second recruiter who handled the 5 x 45-min onsite interviews.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Security Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Recruiter called after I submitted my resume on the jobs site, scheduled phone screen for a week out. Phone screen was 45 minutes, questions about security and systems design, also some fundamental OS questions. Interviewer had already decided to not hire me by about 20 minutes in (my perception), but I was determined to keep at it. I don't think I would interview at Google again, they really seem to have a chip on their shoulder about interviewing.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

I had a total of 6 interviews and lunch with a hiring manager.
    Most of the interview questions are scenario-based (if x,y,z then what can you do/conclude) pertaining to fundamental infosec/incident response knowledge.

The interviewers take copious notes about what you say/write throughout your interview.

The first interview was a phone interview. The interviewer was really firm on sticking to the allotted time. In the middle of the interview, we lost audio. The final question was a coding question. After the "solving" the question, a constraint was added where I had to revise/add code. (This is why you should ask questions before diving into code, as well as explain to the interviewer what you plan to do prior to writing any code).

The day following the phone interview, the recruiter advised me that I would move invited onsite for additional interviews. Google covered the flight/lodging/car rental expenses.

I had a total of 5 on-site interviews, in addition to lunch with the hiring manager.

// Pause
    The interviewers were all security engineers, but from various teams - since when you get hired as a security engineer you are expected to have knowledge of most things in that career ladder (not just what is pertinent to the specific vacancy you are interviewing for).
    // Resume

At least 3 out of the 5 on-site interviews went well, I felt. A couple of the others, I was unsure about. But, I throughout the interviews, I was typically able to draw upon my experiences to answer the scenario-based questions. I also made sure to ask if I answered their questions sufficiently, since they want to know how "deep" you can go and gauge how you think.

One of the interviewers arrived late, and seemed to not be good at formulating/asking questions. This interviewer seemed to get a little agitated when I asked clarifying questions (which the recruiter had advised me to do).

Approximately a week after the on-site interviews, I learned that I made it past the hiring committee and was asked to provide references, current salary information, etc to my recruiter so that they could prepare a "packet" to be reviewed by executive management. I believe this stage was called "final approval".

A little over a week after learning I passed the hiring committee ( =a little over 2 weeks after on-site interviews), I learned I was approved for an offer. The recruiter and I spoke the next day to discuss the details of the offer (before I had the offer in hand), and later that same day I received an email with a link to the offer package.

The total process from submitting the application to receiving an offer was about 60 days. Keep in mind, during this time, Google held their I/O conference.

Interview Questions

• During lunch, I was asked about my career goals and how they fit with Google.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Google relies on data points for negotiating parts of the compensation package. You would need a comparable/better counter-offer for them to budge. Without a counter-offer, there may be some wiggle room in regard to the sign-on bonus.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online through Google's career website and was contacted by a recruiter in about a month of application. After a brief email conversation with the recruiter, a technical phone screen was scheduled. Post that, five on-site technical interviews were scheduled. An offer was extended within a week of the final on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• All aspects of information security were covered in the interviews. However, most of the questions were very broad in scope and open-ended.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Was approached via LinkedIn, had a phone screen, technical phone interview, and an on-site interview. The lack of detail in the job description made preparation difficult. Not sure if interviewers are really hearing you, as they are buried in their laptop to record your responses. The experience was impersonal and dehumanizing. I think they take "resource" too literal with the human aspect.

Interview Questions

• Questions tend to be vague and broad in scope. They want you to demonstrate depth and breadth of knowledge, or watch you hang yourself trying.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Had one phone screen, two phone interviews, and an onsite interview (4 interviews and a lunch meeting) - each were around 45 minutes to an hour. Entire process from start to finish took about 3 months. Anytime I had any concerns about time or wanted an update I just sent an email to my recruiter and got a response back within 24 hours (except on weekends). My recruiter was incredibly polite/pleasant to talk with, and made the entire process as stress-free as humanly possible.

Interview Questions

• Revealing questions in the interview process for Google is strictly prohibited. I will say that I had heard from folks that had interviewed with Google that interviews for all technical positions were heavily programming-based; although programming knowledge is definitely a must for working there, it was definitely not the end-all be-all questions-wise for my interviews.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

Phone interview for security position. Interviewer was looking for entry-level operations staff. I didn't get the impression that he was willing to go out of his way to look for other opportunities for me. He did indicate that after Aurora, Google plans to hire a few hundred new security staff this year.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in August 2009.

Interview

Overall, was less impressed as interview(s) moved on. In the end I was told that I did well on the technical interviews, but they wanted someone with more experience. Either this was a BS way to make me feel better about myself or actually true. If actually true it was an annoying waste of both of our time.

Although applying for security engineer, I was never asked a single question about computer security. I got asked all of the stock questions they ask, like "Write a function to determine if an input number is a power of 2." or "Explain in detail how traceroute works (I was actually asked this 2 separate times, lol).

I was not asked much about my background or strengths / weaknesses. I got the feeling that they don't care (at least initially). The more I got involved with the whole interview process, the less I wanted to work there. Granted I still believe it probably a good place to work, I don't think its the holy grail of CS jobs.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that can determine if an input number is a power of 2.   3 Answers
    • Explain traceroute in detail.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in June 2007.

Interview

I was first contacted by a Google technical recruiter from my resume in Dice.com. After the initial screening a technical phone interview was scheduled. The technical interview consisted of a number of CS questions (describe a TCP handshake, what is sorting algorithm X) followed by security-related questions (what is a buffer overflow, what is an HMAC, what are common web site vulnerabilities). I answered every question well, but blanked on the finer details of HMAC and was not moved on to the next round.

Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (Melbourne (Australia)) in February 2014.

Interview

self evaluation test, phone screening, further interviews. I couldn't pass the phone interview, I think it's because of my English. The test covers a lot of areas but mainly technical knowledge, several customer behaviors questions were there as well (such as responding to customer's email or phone call...)

Interview Questions

• what is the most important lesson in your previous work   Answer Question