Google Senior Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Senior Product Manager Interview Questions

3.7

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Google (Bengaluru (India)) in August 2012.

Interview

My resume was referred to the Indian recruiter by a senior US employee. The recruiter scheduled a phone interview for 5 days later with someone in the US (late night call). Before the call they gave me instructions on what to expect. As Google PM was my dream role, I actually prepared a 12 page cheat sheet for the call [ what a waste!].

The interviewer was a PM who had relocated from India to the US and showed major attitude. My strong sense here is that the phone interview was just a formality, they had already decided not to proceed further. [This has happened to me before, at EMC]

For the first 15 minutes he mocked my startup venture, that had not taken off. Then he gave me a problem about locating, classifying and displaying search results for commercial products. He mocked me for the next 15 minutes about that while I explained my solution.

He ended it after that and I asked a few questions from my end to complete the call.

The interview went totally contrary to everything I had read about Google PM interviews, design, strategy, appreciation of Google products etc. I later realized that those reviews were mostly for US positions. It was also different from what the local HR recommended as preparation in her interview scheduling mail.

One recommendation I do have, start practising linear thinking, and staying within bounds, while preparing for interview. At least this PM did not seem to appreciate lateral thinking while problem solving.

I got the canned rejection letter within 10 days.

Interview Questions

• The very last question was, "if you could be the product manager for any product in Google which would it be?"   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in June 2009.

Interview

The interviewing process was very professional and thorough from the end to the beginning. However, what I was not told they were hiring for very specific position with a certain language requirement. It was just assumed on their part that I would be proficient in that language given my name. So it was disappointing after six weeks of interviewing that I was not being interviewed for just a "Senior Product Manager" but a "Senior Product Manager for language X".

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

Multiple interviews testing analytical skills, business acumen and tech knowledge. Multiple interviewers each focused on one skill set. Reasonably intense process. My interview spread over 3 different schedules (1 phone interview and 2 onsite interviews). Offer was made relatively quickly and start date was fast.

Negotiation

They don't really negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Lengthy and involved, but very well described and managed. Everyone I dealt with was very respectful, courteous, and enjoyable to talk with. Although I didn't get an offer, I came away with an even better view of the company and their employees and processes. The information their staffing organization provided to use for preparation was invaluable. All around a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time you were really excited about something you were doing?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Head hunted by Google. I had to two phone interviews, one by HR and then a second by a product manager. Passed both, so invited to Mountain View for several hours of interviews. Second interview and onsite interviews were almost all the same as detailed by others on Glassdoor, so I am not going to repeat it. I did not get an offers--HR person that contacted me said the software development manager that interviewed me did not find me technical enough. I was a software engineer for 15 years before going into product management, so to get a thumbs up from their product manager and a thumbs down from the software development manager was exactly the opposite of what I expected.

Interview Questions

• How would you optimize an algorithm to ensure that no duplicate data was being stored on Google servers?   2 Answers

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (Sydney (Australia)).

Interview

One of the best hiring processes I've been through, it'll help a lot if you have an internal recommendation. In Australia the response time is pretty slow for most roles but the person I dealt with was quick, kept me informed and really tried to help

Interview Questions

• Technical skill is a must for this role. You're leading a team of dev's and you have to be able to not just keep up on a technical level but you need to be out ahead of them in terms of vision and to do that you need to have the technical base. Even though I have a Software Dev. degree, the fact that I hadn't worked in the field in a technical capacity meant that I ended up pulling out of the process once I understood the detail because I don't have the technical chops. Credit to Google for looking at me in the first place and for making it a pleasant process even though I didn't get there...   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

They discourage those gotchya questions now. The process takes forever.

Interview Questions

• It's all at the whim of whoever you're talking to. There aren't typical questions anymore. Someone may ask you the "how many telephone poles in texas" sort of thing, but maybe not.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in April 2009.

Interview

HR first - 1 hour by phone
    Prosuct Manager - on site Google Victoria London - 1 hour
    Director Product - 1 hour by phone
    Onsite at Google Victoria - 3 face to face (HR! Product, BD) and 3 video call interview with Mountain View (2x Product, 1 VP)

Interview Questions

• many questions both technical and business related
      a few statistics puzzle to solve on the spot - gave very practical response - asked to solve the "standard" way
      Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google in September 2012.

Interview

Several online submissions, Finally received an email and call from the recruiter. This was followed by 2-3 phone interviews and a flight to the HQ for another 3-4 interviews. The whole process was very non traditional.

Interview Questions

• Generally speaking the questions were abstract and meant to test you reasoning and logic skills. Honestly they never really asked what I've done or how I solved a real problem. It was all hypothetical.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in July 2012.

Interview

I applied online and got contacted after about 3 weeks. The HR person scheduled a phone interview and asked typical screening questions for PMs and Google in general. That round was easy and went well. I was then scheduled for a technical phone interview, which I knew would be a random PM from any location. It turns out I got an Associate PM 2 years out of college (from NYC) who said "Okay, cool" before each question. She clearly was not an experienced interviewer (esp. for Senior level position) and made no effort to connect with me, find out about my experience, what I knew about Google and their products or anything else specifically relevant to the position for which I was interviewing. She asked me a few brain teasers, such as Russian Roulette questions. After the 45 minute call, I did not hear anything for 2 weeks, which ended up with Google not wanting to pursue any further steps. I was not impressed with their interviewing process, but mainly with the Associate PM that I talked to which had no relevance to my local Google apps/features or the team I would be working with.

Interview Questions

• Suppose there is a smart phone API that can give you a person's mood and that there are 100 different moods. There can be varying level of moods, such as happy, very happy, sad, extremely sad, etc. You can also have more than one mood at a time (such as nervous and excited). What app would you create to take advantage of this API?   4 Answers