Google Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 26, 2017

3.7

96 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Extremely unimpressed with Google, in every area I had expected a lot better. Inattentive, lazy recruiters. Incorrect prep and advice videos. Poor interviewers. Incredibly slow process for no reason (I knew this going in)

The interview was actually very easy, but about half of the interviewers were not asking questions that would let you judge talent. Following their own advice about interviewing turned out to be a mistake - their interviewers didn't follow it! Everything they said to study never actually came up. I made it to the final stage, was wanted by a team manager, and the mysterious final hiring committee rejected my application. Ridiculous. This experience made me sell my Google stock.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google in October 2017.

Interview

Takes way too long, They never got past the question of "What do you want to do?", recruiter after recruiter, I got an offer from another company while Google is still asking the same question, over and over. Expect to spend a lot of time talking with recruiters before getting to a technical interview. Way too slow, this went on for over a month. They are even proud of this. For my purposes, this touchy-feely business didn't work so other companies that just got right to the point were more attractive.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to do? That's the only question the really asked me.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Round 1: a recruiter calls you. They will ask you a few simple questions. Things such as "what's faster, quicksort or bubblesort". If you answer enough of these correctly, you get to the next round. If you fail here: stop moaning, go away and go improve yourself, there is no way you would have passed the later stages anyway.
    Round 2: an engineer will call you, and interview you for 45 minutes. Only the "best" interviewers get to do what we call "first phone screens" because that's where the most people get kicked out.
    Round 3: exactly the same as round 2, but with a different engineer. From the interviewer's perspective, second phone screens are infinitely better than first phone screens, because the totally incompetent have been weeded out already.
    Round4: onsite interviews! you will have 3 interviews of 45 minutes, lunch, and 2 more interviews. These are basically the same as phone screens, but you get to see the interviewers face to face.

Interview Questions

• Imagine you are given 10,000 files each containing 1 Million integers. I would you sum all of them and give the final result?

---> Interviewer wanted to test scalability, distributed concepts.

He has written the basic code and wanted to improve upon that.
      Here's the basic code.

return sum;
      }
      Questions:
      What's wrong with above code? Ans: Integer overflow
      How would you implement sumOfFile?
      What if 'sumOfFile' takes lot of time to finish computing?
      How do you fasten the program?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Went onsite with Mountain View campus for position in google cloud division. Total 5 interviewers. Not sure how they selected the interviewers - end up 3 interviewers asking distributed system questions. One scheduled interviewer did not show up, so a replacement guy showed up with very little preparation. Another interviewer came from hardware group which is surprising (I am not a hardware guy, and the interviewer did not get to any kernel level question as well). They seem to have quite different background as I do, making the interview process somewhat out of synergy. It became an awkward process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Brought me onsite, spoke to four people three coding and one design interview. The coding interviews were conducted on a tablet in the room and with a white board. The design one was only on the whiteboard

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google in January 2017.

Interview

It is the worst process I ever had. The interview is simple and straight forward. However it has the worst team match experience at all! It took me 2month and no team coonect me. The reason is that the internal transfer people (more than hundreds) is looking for team match. They din't consider people in the pool. If google dont have headcount, why you hire me?!

Interview Questions

• What do u think the search engine?   1 Answer
    • Idea of system design?   1 Answer

Cannot wait for the team match! They are killing people's passion and they dont respect talent engineers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (San Jose, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

First interview was just a phone pre-screening, very simple. Second interview was a 45min technical interview. This one was very difficult. Made more so because it was difficult to think of solutions while being watched. You had a shared document that both you and the interviewer could edit. A "take home" test would have been more realistic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

the recruiter brought me in, then I had 5 45-minute sessions, 1 on 1 with different people, asking different questions, most requiring writing code on the whiteboard. I had an hr break in the middle for lunch. It was quite intense. Tough questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

I interviewed in NYC. No phone screen because of my previous experience. Besides the convenience of the location, I did not enjoy the hotel I was put in. Ask for The Maritime if you get the chance. Interview day was very good overall. The system design question was about a field that did not match my background at all at I was a bit disappointed about that. Between review committees, team selection, and other stuff it took over a month to discuss the offer details. When it came to that phone call my recruiter refused to give me any details if I didn’t tell him my other offers first. I didn’t. This introduced other delays and put me in a very weird position with other companies that I was still interviewing with. I believe that Google prepared a 'low ball' but then refused to pitch it once I told them that some other players were in the game. The offer finally arrived while I was flying to California for another interview (I can’t just sit and wait after all). It sounded in the middle of the range that I asked for but when I received it in writings I realized that it was just below the lower range that we discussed. Let’s blame that on miscommunication or great presentation skills on their side. Google refused to negotiate those numbers at all in two different occasions and went in ‘radio silence’. By the time they got back to me checking if I wanted to continue the conversation I had already accepted another offer, quit my job, and took a flight to the other side of the world to enjoy my time off. I cannot believe that this did not work out. Google was my #1 pick at the time. No regrets.

Interview Questions

• You have a bunch of light bulbs. Store them as you wish. Implement a function that tells you if the light is on or off given its index and another one that toggles the state of the light bulbs given a start and end index. Good. Now, how about you have a gazillioon of those?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

I was brought into the New York City office for five forty-five minute problem sessions, one with two interviewers, and the other four with only a single interview. In each, I was asked to solve a technical problem, writing my software solution onto a whiteboard, this program complete enough to actually run. I was not able to complete solve all five of the technical problems I was given.

Interview Questions

• Build a program to play an computer game   1 Answer