Google Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 28, 2017

3.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

the recruiter brought me in, then I had 5 45-minute sessions, 1 on 1 with different people, asking different questions, most requiring writing code on the whiteboard. I had an hr break in the middle for lunch. It was quite intense. Tough questions.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (San Jose, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

First interview was just a phone pre-screening, very simple. Second interview was a 45min technical interview. This one was very difficult. Made more so because it was difficult to think of solutions while being watched. You had a shared document that both you and the interviewer could edit. A "take home" test would have been more realistic.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

A Google recruiter contacted me and asked me to interview.

A few weeks later I was called for a telephone screen. The interviewer was pleasant. He did a very brief introduction and then quickly launched into the question. He did not give any guidance.

Interview Questions

• Q. Infinite stream of numbers. How do you predict what will be the next number.   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Apply online and HR gets back to me with in one day. Interview is scheduled and pushed that out due to unavailability of interviewer. Finally date and time are set. Interviewer has strong accent and couldn't understand what he's asking most of the time. No introduction of who he is and what's his role in the team. Just start off with bunch of questions. Hear lot of keyboard strike noise. Interviewer must be typing during interview and also there is a lot of echo when ever interviewer puts phone on speaker. Interviewer has no knowledge about technology/role which is advertised.Not at all enjoy the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Boulder, CO) in May 2010.

Interview

I submitted a resume online to Google/Sketchup Boulder office on Pearl Street. I did an initial phone screening discussing past work history and some development and programming questions that were somewhat perfunctory.
    I came for in in person interview. The office is a very stylish loft above retail on Pearl Street, basically the startup with too much money dream-office. Huge double monitors, fast workstations, slack dress code, unused foosball table etc... Lunch was catered in daily apparently from a posh catering company and the food was excellent.
    I interviewed with one of the sketchup founders who clearly thought very highly of himself.
    The position was for implementing extensions to the javascript interpreter scripting engine for sketchup.

Interview Questions

• Given a large data set that essentially consumes all working memory, what kind of sort would one implement.
      Now add the condition that the elements are alphanumeric and same length.
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (San Jose, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

My recruiter called me to have an interview in next week and did not call me back first time. At second time, she said she can arrange an interview in next week, I was so afraid to loose the opportunity and agreed to take it even I did not have enough time to prepare for it. I think google's interview needs intensive preparation.

Interview Questions

• Write a probability formula to tell how many bits will be changed when 1 is added to a 32 bit binary number.   10 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Google (Moscow (Russia)) in March 2012.

Interview

I was rumbling for a Google SRE team position about a year ago. That was *very* hard and fun experience. I had two phone interviews, and both were real hardcore and impressive. In the first interview, I was rumbling with the guy, who had really good understanding of a hardware issues and distributed architecture. He asked me on a virtual memory planning algorithms, how typical enterprise database disk access is organized, what are pros and cons of a database normalization ( and when we need to denormalize ), e t.c.

I don't belive, that first interview was my fail, because I was interviewed by another guy two days after. He was *very* mathematically inclined, and asked various question on a search metrics ( i.e. what is Bpref, how one could impove it ) and asked me to design various search quality-related metrics, which could easily be calculated ( in Map-reduce paradigm especially ).
    I was good at what was related to the search quality ( as it is my strongest skill ), but did worse, than necessary, when we went to the hashing and cryptography-related issues.

Interview Questions

• Describe statistical strengths and weaknesses of CRC32 as a hash function?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

They called me up after seeing my LinkedIn profile. It took a while to set up because it was near the holidays, but the arranged a phone screening interview, then an onsite interview. Both were what I have come to know as typical google interviews. Technical coding questions, questions with several possible answers, but only one 'best' answer. I made a lot of dumb mistakes like leaving return statements off of the end of functions even though I had gotten the main body of the function accurately, and I was quite nervous, which didn't help. They were mostly nice, although a few of them seemed resentful that they had to be running an interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked me a computer vision question that involved needing to compute the integral image, which took me a while to dredge up out of deep storage.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Newport Beach, CA) in December 2008.

Interview

After a phone interview and an engineering interview in which I wrote code in a Google doc while talking with the interviewer, I was invited in for a face to face. I met with about twelve engineers and managers over eight hours with a break for lunch. They asked very tough questions and really dug in to see how you think.

Interview Questions

• They gave me printouts of a couple of classes that worked together but were badly designed. The goal was to talk about how to better design the classes so they had clearer roles and better implementation.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Google in August 2011.

Interview

there are phone interviews and on site interviews.
    for on site, they paid for plane, hotel and food expenses. the recruitier and five skilled software engineers interviewed me each a time, asking software design and development questions. that was a tiresome but very fun and enriching experience