Google Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 28, 2017

3.8

93 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Zürich (Switzerland)) in February 2017.

Interview

first email, then phone call, then 2nd phone call, then initial interview, then met with more people on a differnet day. then for the next interview, i had to show my basic skills with writing cod.e

Interview Questions

• what kind on an animal would i choose to be?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Extremely unimpressed with Google, in every area I had expected a lot better. Inattentive, lazy recruiters. Incorrect prep and advice videos. Poor interviewers. Incredibly slow process for no reason (I knew this going in)

The interview was actually very easy, but about half of the interviewers were not asking questions that would let you judge talent. Following their own advice about interviewing turned out to be a mistake - their interviewers didn't follow it! Everything they said to study never actually came up. I made it to the final stage, was wanted by a team manager, and the mysterious final hiring committee rejected my application. Ridiculous. This experience made me sell my Google stock.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Google (Bengaluru (India)) in November 2016.

Interview

4 rounds of interviews with 3 technical round and 1 manager round.
    They asked more on puzzle and also provided few scenario which you need to transfer into application.And also they provided few real time use case conversion with customer where you need to resolve the conflict.

Interview Questions

• more on puzzle and also technical coding and also scenario based coding   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Went onsite with Mountain View campus for position in google cloud division. Total 5 interviewers. Not sure how they selected the interviewers - end up 3 interviewers asking distributed system questions. One scheduled interviewer did not show up, so a replacement guy showed up with very little preparation. Another interviewer came from hardware group which is surprising (I am not a hardware guy, and the interviewer did not get to any kernel level question as well). They seem to have quite different background as I do, making the interview process somewhat out of synergy. It became an awkward process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Round 1: a recruiter calls you. They will ask you a few simple questions. Things such as "what's faster, quicksort or bubblesort". If you answer enough of these correctly, you get to the next round. If you fail here: stop moaning, go away and go improve yourself, there is no way you would have passed the later stages anyway.
    Round 2: an engineer will call you, and interview you for 45 minutes. Only the "best" interviewers get to do what we call "first phone screens" because that's where the most people get kicked out.
    Round 3: exactly the same as round 2, but with a different engineer. From the interviewer's perspective, second phone screens are infinitely better than first phone screens, because the totally incompetent have been weeded out already.
    Round4: onsite interviews! you will have 3 interviews of 45 minutes, lunch, and 2 more interviews. These are basically the same as phone screens, but you get to see the interviewers face to face.

Interview Questions

• Imagine you are given 10,000 files each containing 1 Million integers. I would you sum all of them and give the final result?

---> Interviewer wanted to test scalability, distributed concepts.

He has written the basic code and wanted to improve upon that.
      Here's the basic code.

return sum;
      }
      Questions:
      What's wrong with above code? Ans: Integer overflow
      How would you implement sumOfFile?
      What if 'sumOfFile' takes lot of time to finish computing?
      How do you fasten the program?   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google in January 2017.

Interview

It is the worst process I ever had. The interview is simple and straight forward. However it has the worst team match experience at all! It took me 2month and no team coonect me. The reason is that the internal transfer people (more than hundreds) is looking for team match. They din't consider people in the pool. If google dont have headcount, why you hire me?!

Interview Questions

• What do u think the search engine?   1 Answer
    • Idea of system design?   1 Answer

Cannot wait for the team match! They are killing people's passion and they dont respect talent engineers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

telephonic call by hr, telephonic interview, onsite interview (5 rounds). each round was 45 min long including the telephonic round. Telephonic interview they share a google doc for you to write code

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

the recruiter brought me in, then I had 5 45-minute sessions, 1 on 1 with different people, asking different questions, most requiring writing code on the whiteboard. I had an hr break in the middle for lunch. It was quite intense. Tough questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (San Jose, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

First interview was just a phone pre-screening, very simple. Second interview was a 45min technical interview. This one was very difficult. Made more so because it was difficult to think of solutions while being watched. You had a shared document that both you and the interviewer could edit. A "take home" test would have been more realistic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Pretty standard interview process. Based on employee recommendations, Google waived off phone interview. Five 1:1 interviews - Coding, Algo, and System Design. No puzzles or trick questions. I talked with 2 teams and decided to not join because offered opportunities did not align with my career goals at the time.

Interview Questions

• Coding questions around recursion, hashing, binary trees, etc.   Answer Question