Google Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 28, 2017

3.8

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google in January 2017.

Interview

It is the worst process I ever had. The interview is simple and straight forward. However it has the worst team match experience at all! It took me 2month and no team coonect me. The reason is that the internal transfer people (more than hundreds) is looking for team match. They din't consider people in the pool. If google dont have headcount, why you hire me?!

Interview Questions

Cannot wait for the team match! They are killing people's passion and they dont respect talent engineers.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

telephonic call by hr, telephonic interview, onsite interview (5 rounds). each round was 45 min long including the telephonic round. Telephonic interview they share a google doc for you to write code

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

the recruiter brought me in, then I had 5 45-minute sessions, 1 on 1 with different people, asking different questions, most requiring writing code on the whiteboard. I had an hr break in the middle for lunch. It was quite intense. Tough questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (San Jose, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

First interview was just a phone pre-screening, very simple. Second interview was a 45min technical interview. This one was very difficult. Made more so because it was difficult to think of solutions while being watched. You had a shared document that both you and the interviewer could edit. A "take home" test would have been more realistic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Pretty standard interview process. Based on employee recommendations, Google waived off phone interview. Five 1:1 interviews - Coding, Algo, and System Design. No puzzles or trick questions. I talked with 2 teams and decided to not join because offered opportunities did not align with my career goals at the time.

Interview Questions

• Coding questions around recursion, hashing, binary trees, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

I was brought into the New York City office for five forty-five minute problem sessions, one with two interviewers, and the other four with only a single interview. In each, I was asked to solve a technical problem, writing my software solution onto a whiteboard, this program complete enough to actually run. I was not able to complete solve all five of the technical problems I was given.

Interview Questions

• Build a program to play an computer game   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

One phone interview, about 45 minutes. My recruiting contact sent me preparatory materials and explained the process beforehand. Interviewer opened by asking about a project on my resume; rest of the time was on a couple technical problems. I wrote code in a shared Google Doc while talking on the phone. Questions required writing algorithms involving bit manipulation.

Google flew me to Mountain View for on-site interviews after I passed the phone screen.

Four one-on-one on-site interviews, each ~45 minutes. Coding was done on a whiteboard. Three interviews were primarily on algorithms/data structures; the other involved OOP. Each interviewer had his/her own style, but overall atmosphere was informal and collaborative.
    Interviews were back-to-back. After the first two, a different employee accompanied me for lunch and to answer my questions.

Interview Questions

• NDA on interview questions, but you are provided with lots of information about the types of questions you'll receive and how to prepare.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

I interviewed in NYC. No phone screen because of my previous experience. Besides the convenience of the location, I did not enjoy the hotel I was put in. Ask for The Maritime if you get the chance. Interview day was very good overall. The system design question was about a field that did not match my background at all at I was a bit disappointed about that. Between review committees, team selection, and other stuff it took over a month to discuss the offer details. When it came to that phone call my recruiter refused to give me any details if I didn’t tell him my other offers first. I didn’t. This introduced other delays and put me in a very weird position with other companies that I was still interviewing with. I believe that Google prepared a 'low ball' but then refused to pitch it once I told them that some other players were in the game. The offer finally arrived while I was flying to California for another interview (I can’t just sit and wait after all). It sounded in the middle of the range that I asked for but when I received it in writings I realized that it was just below the lower range that we discussed. Let’s blame that on miscommunication or great presentation skills on their side. Google refused to negotiate those numbers at all in two different occasions and went in ‘radio silence’. By the time they got back to me checking if I wanted to continue the conversation I had already accepted another offer, quit my job, and took a flight to the other side of the world to enjoy my time off. I cannot believe that this did not work out. Google was my #1 pick at the time. No regrets.

Interview Questions

• You have a bunch of light bulbs. Store them as you wish. Implement a function that tells you if the light is on or off given its index and another one that toggles the state of the light bulbs given a start and end index. Good. Now, how about you have a gazillioon of those?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Recruiter call, then a phone interview on one coding question in google doc. advice is to concentrate on the solving the question, ignore what the interviewer would think meanwhile. if this round is thru then there will be onsite intereviews back to back on same day

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I was referred by a friend who works at Google and I had applied for a specific position that they advertised. They called me within a few days and asked me when I am available for a phone screen.

The phone screen started with another engineer asking me to type a program into a shared Google doc. While it wasn't a particularly difficult program, I found it to be tough going trying to solve it while on the phone typing in a Google doc editor.

It probably took me longer than it should have and I don't think I quite had the boundary conditions just right. I don't know exactly what to say about the experience. Its entirely possible that it reflects poorly on my ability to program, however I have no doubt that it a program I can write fairly easily if I need to.

I didn't get past this stage, but regardless I am told that further stages would have involved multiple interrogations and their Mountain View office. It all seems a bit much or maybe despite my years of experience, I am perhaps a programmer gone "soft".