Google Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 13, 2017

3.8

90 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (San Bruno, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

It was enjoyable. Not sure how exactly they score you or what criteria exactly the interviewers look for. Overall, all the employees I met seemed really passionate about staying up-to-date with all the latest languages/technologies.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Flew me into NYC for interview. Quick meeting with HR & then five (or was it six?) 45 minute white board sessions with engineers with a lunch break with another one. I'm terrible at those things--in fact, I'd never done anything like it except for meetings on systems design--brain froze up in the middle of the first one and I never really recovered.

If you're an older developer, the process can be quite alienating. First off, I'm not sure if you summed the ages of any of the two people I met up, it would equal mine. The guy they sent me to lunch with (my turn to ask questions, learn about the culture) was younger than my son! He was a great guy, but perhaps some senior person in HR with grown kids should try this sometime. Second, the brain-teaser at the whiteboard approach just wasn't the way we learned to tackle problems (I started coding in the early eighties). There are already enough criticisms of this hiring strategy, the irrelevance of these kinds of questions to the real requirements of getting systems running in production, and the "brogrammer" culture it fosters elsewhere, so I won't go into it. Criticism notwithstanding, you can't argue with their success.

Only once all day was I asked to talk about something I had accomplished.

Everybody I met was likable and nice. Much to their credit, the interviewers were understanding of the brain-freeze-at-whiteboard problem and I never got a smart-alecky smirk in five hours. The lunchroom was outrageous, and I would have stuffed myself if I hadn't three interviews left.

This interview model is endemic in the industry. If you are over fifty, good luck out there.

Interview Questions

• The usual (I've since learned) careercup type interview questions, can't remember the particulars: brain-teasers painted with a coding question patina.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Apply online and HR gets back to me with in one day. Interview is scheduled and pushed that out due to unavailability of interviewer. Finally date and time are set. Interviewer has strong accent and couldn't understand what he's asking most of the time. No introduction of who he is and what's his role in the team. Just start off with bunch of questions. Hear lot of keyboard strike noise. Interviewer must be typing during interview and also there is a lot of echo when ever interviewer puts phone on speaker. Interviewer has no knowledge about technology/role which is advertised.Not at all enjoy the interview.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Google in November 2014.

Interview

The interview process was really professional, after discussing the process with the recruiter over phone, I got a phone interview with a google engineer. I was asked two question during the phone interview, both about string parsing.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Everyone at Google was easy to work with. The recruiters clearly explained the process as we went along. However, the hiring is done by committees. They have the local committee on-site which then makes a recommendation to a corporate committee. The various levels there make the process take a while and seem redundant.

Interview Questions

• Go through different combinations of numbers to compute what sums to a given number and analyze the runtime.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

I have two recruiters during the process. Both are nice, the interviewers are in general nice. Just take it as a collaboration effort to solve some interesting problems. I went through almost everything, somehow did not have the blessing from the final VP. The recruiter could not tell me why.

Interview Questions

• Basic stuff: relatively practical problems use stack, queue, binary search. None expected.
      For example, maximum points on a line given a list of coordinates, 3 sum variants: a+b+c<target integer for a given unsorted into array, RPN. Some design questions, touched consistent hashing.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I was going through a conversion interview so my interview experience was likely different. Had a few standard programming questions (1 was to maintain stats on a hourly, minute, and day granularity and the other was a variant of a hash table design). I had to negotiate a lot but it had a huge impact on my offer. I also had competing offers from Facebook, DropBox, and a startup.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Pretty standard interview process. Based on employee recommendations, Google waived off phone interview. Five 1:1 interviews - Coding, Algo, and System Design. No puzzles or trick questions. I talked with 2 teams and decided to not join because offered opportunities did not align with my career goals at the time.

Interview Questions

• Coding questions around recursion, hashing, binary trees, etc.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Google in August 2014.

Interview

It was long and after 2 phone interviews was schedules for an in person one. And they totally messed up on that last part.

I was first contacted by a recruiter and informed them on the progress of my career and they said google would be certainly interested.

What followed up was 2 phone interviews which I passed with flying colors.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Their standard process: Applied on line through their website, was contacted by their recruiter within 3 days for initial talks, set up the phone interview for the next week which was technical and involved solving one programming question, called on site for 5 back to back technical interviews with their programmers. It was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Calculate the point when the time/space complexity for a merge sort would be as good/bad as a insertion sort for given values for step executions.   1 Answer