Google Site Reliability Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Site Reliability Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 24, 2017

3.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

A recruiter found my info from an application several years earlier. We scheduled an informal phone call to discuss potential full-time position and decided to move forward. Next, we scheduled a technical phone interview with an engineer. This was done with a phone call and shared Google Doc (for coding). After passing the phone interview, I was contacted by more recruiters. We scheduled another informal phone call and on-site interviews. The on-site had four 45-minute interviews with an informal lunch in the middle.

Interview Questions

• All questions were software/coding based, mainly need to know algorithms, data structures, and performance. No tricks / brain-teaser questions, just nice logic/problem solving stuff. They discourage sharing actual questions.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

A recruiter found me through GitHub and LinkedIn and emailed me one day. I agreed to go through the interview process for an SRE position. Since I was not actively looking for a job, the interview process was quite long and drawn-out (but I didn't mind). I was given a choice between Java, C++, and Python for the interviews. I chose Python for its terseness. In hindsight, it probably doesn't matter as long as you can write valid code in your language of choice.

There was an initial 1 hour phone interview where another SRE asked an algorithm question and I had to type up the code for it into a Google Docs page. I recommend getting a headset for this if you don't already have one. The problem was easier than I expected, but I stumbled around a bit before finishing the complete solution. I solved it within 45 minutes, but it could've gone better. Some interviewers have a way of making you nervous too.

Since the first phone interview could've gone better, the recruiter decided to have me do a second phone interview. This one went much better. The engineer was easier to talk to and I solved the question with relative ease. I also had about 15 minutes to chat afterwards.

Then I was called to do an on-site interview at the headquarters in Mountain View. There were 5 interviews, each 45-60 minutes long with a different person each time. Each of the questions had a simple brute-force solution to them. I got to at least the brute-force solution for all them. The bulk of the interview is then taken up by trying to find a more efficient solution. The interviewer will give hints on which path to head down to find the more efficient solution. Without hints, some of the efficient solutions would take a lot of time to come up with. Overall, most of the interviews went well. There were a couple of questions that I couldn't complete due to time constraints.

4 of the 5 interviewers were a pleasure to talk to. But then there is that one guy who acted like I pissed in his wheaties. Pretty poor social skills. Unfortunately, bad feedback from one guy is probably enough to dissuade the hiring committee.

One thing that surprised me is that no one asked questions about my resume. In fact, I'm pretty sure no one read it. As far as I know, no one looked me up on GitHub to see my past projects (I have a few successful and non-trivial ones too). It seemed like the entire hiring decision is based on whether or not I would be a good TopCoder competitor. Overall, the interview process left a bad taste in my mouth. Being pummeled by algorithm questions with clever solutions isn't the best way to judge a candidate. Nobody was asking the questions that actually matter.

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Interviewed over the phone and wrote code in a shared Google Document. The questions weren't overly difficult and the interviewer was excellent at guiding the direction of code without telling you what to do explicitly.

They decided to fly me out to Mountain View and I had four technical interviews on their campus. These were much more difficult and I tired quickly after lunch. If I can recommend anything its that you should get something to wake you up before the last two interviews - its too easy to get tired and sloppy. Study up on those data structures and complexity analysis!

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google in September 2016.

Interview

Contacted me after finding my resume online. Typical interview for a tech company. The first call were some basic screening type questions. The second interview went more in depth. The questions weren't very difficult but the interviewer didn't seem to understand the material enough to judge my answers. Anything I would answer off script seem to throw him off. Gave up about half way through.

Interview Questions

• Asked me the difference between a hard and soft link in Linux   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

I got a phone call from a Google hiring employee. In this call, I sad I would like to take part in the hiring process. After that, she sended me an email with the job description and a little self-evaulation test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

First an initial phone screen with a recruiter. Next the first phone interview was set up. They happily accepted my requests of postponing the interview (two times in total). The actual phone interview was ~45 minutes long and first included an introduction and then technical questions. The remaining couple of minutes were left for me to ask questions about the role etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, who walked me through the steps.
    I first had a phone screen, and then went on site in Mountain View a couple weeks later.
    I had 2 technical interviews in the morning, followed by a casual lunch and 2 more technical interviews.
    I then waited a couple weeks for the results, and was told that I did not get that job, but was offered the chance to apply for another role at google. At that point, the process (which had already taken over a month at this point) had started once again at phone interviews. I did not get past these phone screens.

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The process started with a phone screening, which then led to phone interviews. Afterwards, I was brought on-site for more interviewing. The process was quite pleasant, and everyone was always willing to work with my academic schedule. My chaotic schedule and holidays caused the process to be delayed quite a bit due. This was my first set of technical interviews, and it taught me a lot valuable information.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

A single technical phone screen interview, followed a week later by an on-site involving 5 separate interviews. Four of the five interviews were focused on general software engineering (the types of questions you'd find in Cracking the Coding Interview by Gayle McDowell). The fifth interview was focused more broadly on software design.

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Google in March 2016.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter during senior year of college. Arranged two virtual interviews. The first one led to the second one because the interviewer thought he was interviewing for a Software Engineer position. Both interviewers were simultaneously professional and easy to talk with.

Prepare for your interviews - the questions they ask can very be difficult!

The recruiters I talked with - there were three total - were VERY helpful and professional. They were my biggest advocates.

Except for one incident where one of my interviewers never called me. I emailed my recruiter several times when they my interviewer hadn't called, but didn't get a response. I called, but got a voicemail. Halfway through the interview window I emailed saying that I don't have time to wait any longer and that we should reschedule for later in the day. (I had a class to go to!) When I got out of my class, I had an email from the recruiter that insinuated *I* was the one who missed the phone interview. That really rubbed me the wrong way, but I swallowed my pride and took the next available interview time, which was 2 weeks later. The next interview I had was fine.