Google Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 1, 2018

3.5

138 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I interviewed for this role shortly before graduating. They give you an intimidating lineup of interviews - one 'personal' phone interview where you discuss your aims, why you want to work for Google, etc. a technical phone interview and then a whole day where you end up being interviewed by multiple people. I only got to the technical phone stage, I was kind of on the edge and ended up having two phone interviews which were completely different - the first person I spoke to seemed like they really knew what was going on, the second technical interview the person seemed to not even really know who they were speaking to or why - it was a very strange experience.

Interview Questions

• What does the 'const' keyword mean in C++ on a class method?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by someone who worked with Google about interviewing. The first few conversations were by phone and email, until I got to a technical phone interview. About 2 days after this I was invited to come onsite (my second onsite interview as I had interviewed about a year prior)

Interview Questions

• (on the phone screen, my code was written on a Google Doc that was setup by the interviewer) Design a simple algorithm for a room cleaning robot, and ask as many questions as you need.   1 Answer
    • (on the phone screen, my code was written on a Google Doc that was setup by the interviewer) Write an algorithm that returns every possible painted fence with "x number of posts" with the following conditions, only white and black paints are available and more than 2 fence posts of the same color can appear in a row. Once this was completed I was then asked to generalize this algorithm to work with "k number of colors" and a max run of "n of the same color".   1 Answer
    • (onsite) Implement multiplication without using the multiplication operator   1 Answer
    • (onsite) Implement AI for the game Battleship   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

2 45 minute phone interviews. Back to back! Found it very difficult and challenging. Had one graph related problem and one dynamic programming problem. Make sure you are thoroughly prepared.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (San Jose, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

The interview process spanned the course of a few weeks. I was given the opportunity to prepare for the interview. There was a phone screening and a programming or algorithm interview. This was for the Google self-driving car project.

Interview Questions

• How to write an algorithm describing a statistical problem?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Google in March 2011.

Interview

Talked to their HR who very quickly forwarded me to the technical interview. Initial interview took around half an hour.

Interview Questions

• Recite Linux signals and their codes and what and their significance. I had never worked with Linux on this level.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in March 2011.

Interview

I was contacted via LinkedIn by one of Google's in house recruiters. We traded a few emails, I sent the recruiter my resume, and after a phone screen with the recruiter I moved on to a technical phone screen. The technical phone screen went OK and the recruiter scheduled a second technical phone screen. A question in the second phone screen blindsided me and basically derailed things.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of numbers build and place the numbers into a sorted binary tree.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in December 2009.

Interview

The interview lasted a whole day and was very grueling. It felt to me as though the questions were really aimed at recent Comp. Sci. grads. I didn't feel that the process really reflected the sort of work that I had been doing and the kind of work that I was hoping to get hired to do. We did touch on some questions specific to the task but these came at the end of the day and were almost perfunctory in comparison to the computer science type questions I got earlier in the day.

Interview Questions

• Most unexpected was what was my favorite design pattern. I don't have a favorite, I just use whatever is best for the task!   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in August 2016.

Interview

The hiring process took place over several phone calls and word document coding session. The first interviewer was great, the second was very hard to understand and made understanding the questions incredibly difficult.

Software Developer Interview

Interview

applied online and then got a coding assessment.one hacker rank followed by 2 technical interviews.Interviewer was helpful and was giving hints. he also asked some basic java questions.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google in December 2016.

Interview

I was sent a link which had 2 coding problems. They were fairly easy. Then I had two phone interviews back to back. Each interview had 1 simple and 1 difficult question. The difficult questions were actually difficult.