Google Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated May 17, 2017

3.5

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

2 45 minute phone interviews. Back to back! Found it very difficult and challenging. Had one graph related problem and one dynamic programming problem. Make sure you are thoroughly prepared.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (San Jose, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

The interview process spanned the course of a few weeks. I was given the opportunity to prepare for the interview. There was a phone screening and a programming or algorithm interview. This was for the Google self-driving car project.

Interview Questions

• How to write an algorithm describing a statistical problem?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Google in March 2011.

Interview

Talked to their HR who very quickly forwarded me to the technical interview. Initial interview took around half an hour.

Interview Questions

• Recite Linux signals and their codes and what and their significance. I had never worked with Linux on this level.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in March 2011.

Interview

I was contacted via LinkedIn by one of Google's in house recruiters. We traded a few emails, I sent the recruiter my resume, and after a phone screen with the recruiter I moved on to a technical phone screen. The technical phone screen went OK and the recruiter scheduled a second technical phone screen. A question in the second phone screen blindsided me and basically derailed things.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of numbers build and place the numbers into a sorted binary tree.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in December 2009.

Interview

The interview lasted a whole day and was very grueling. It felt to me as though the questions were really aimed at recent Comp. Sci. grads. I didn't feel that the process really reflected the sort of work that I had been doing and the kind of work that I was hoping to get hired to do. We did touch on some questions specific to the task but these came at the end of the day and were almost perfunctory in comparison to the computer science type questions I got earlier in the day.

Interview Questions

• Most unexpected was what was my favorite design pattern. I don't have a favorite, I just use whatever is best for the task!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google (Bellevue, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

I first did an hour-long coding challenge before getting scheduled with two back-to-back skype interviews that were extremely technical. Both of these interviewers were helpful and positive. I was then passed to the next round for another technical skype interview, where my interviewer obviously did not care about me and was distracted throughout the whole process. It was a frustrating end to a month long process.

Interview Questions

• One interviewer asked me about some small background information on my resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Dallas, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

I got the recruiter email when she visited our campus. Later I got in contact and she was hiring. So there was an initial screen with her. There was a primary coding round. Had a technical phone screen later.

Interview Questions

• The questions were related to matching words from a string and Corpus, since i have mentioned python as my primary language.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

It's a onsite interview. The interviewers are very nice. The first round, I was asked to separate a picture into two clusters base RGB value; The second round, I am ask to judge if two BST has same arrays. The third round, I was ask to design a biggest "Welcome" String in given length, width page. The fourth round is about merge k sorted lists, design LRU.

Interview Questions

• The first round, I was asked to separate a picture into two clusters base RGB value; The second round, I am ask to judge if two BST has same arrays. The third round, I was ask to design a biggest "Welcome" String in given length, width page. The fourth round is about merge k sorted lists, design LRU.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First, a behavioral phone interview with an HR person. She was very nice and was very helpful throughout the whole process. Next came an online "code sample", essentially a technical interview without sitting with/talking to a person, which was relatively challenging but not terrible. Then they invited me to an onsite interview, and I was in the midst of the scheduling process when I got a call from my recruiter saying they had made all the graduating hires that they wanted to this year, and canceled the onsite. Very bummed about that but overall was a good experience

Interview Questions

• How would you implement the initial (filled) board for a Candy Crush-style game?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview, through hangouts, followed by five onsite technical interviews, required coding in the whiteboard and in a google document.
    I was given the choice of programming language to use (Python,Java,C++), except for one interviewer that requested me to write the code in Java.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview: Given a keyboard like the ones that appear on a TV screen and a word, print an optimal sequence of moves necessaries to type the word. The possible moves are UP,DOWN,LEFT,RIGH,ENTER(to select a character). The starting point is always the top left corner.   2 Answers