Google Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 23, 2017

3.4

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in December 2016.

Interview

The whole process was very interesting and required the candidate to think through the problem.
The questions focused on how good can you think on a new problem and can write actual code on your idea.

I will suggest candidates to improve their implementation skills rather than learning about advanced data structures. Data structures upto graphs should be sufficient to handle your interviews pretty well.

Interview Questions

• String implementation question which required me to think through and required above-average implementation skills   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in March 2016.

Interview

First was an online coding assessment, which was straightforward and not too difficult. Then came an informal phone call, where I was asked which language I preferred for the interview (I chose Python). Next there were two at-home coding interviews (I passed the first and thus was given a second). For each I was connected by phone to the interviewer who asked a couple general questions followed by 1-2 detailed code implementation questions. I wrote up scratch code in Google docs. I did not end up advancing to the final stage: flying out to CA to interview in person for a day.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

phone interview, almost 8 hours. Also whiteboard interview on coding problems.

Dynamic Programming
     Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs)
     Probability/statistics related programs
     Graphs: BFS/DFS, LDFS
    Data structures and search algorithms

Interview Questions

• lots of problems from Leetcode, basic stuff.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

There's an initial soft screening process followed by a phone interview with a Google Doc. It's annoying because you can't easily sync text from one to the other. Overall, it's pretty fair.

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm to return the highest product of primes in an array.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (Madison, WI) in November 2016.

Interview

The main part of the interview consisted of an online coding assessment. It had two coding tasks of above-average difficulty. The unfortunate thing was that they offered the opportunity to do some practice problems before starting the assessment, claiming them to be of similar difficulty, but the practice problems were actually much easier, thus leading to the actual assessment catching me off guard. The actual problems aren't impossible to someone taking higher-level programming classes, but they do require a lot of practice ahead of time.

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Google in October 2016.

Interview

My interview process was absolutely ridiculous. It spanned a total of 4.5 months, and I didn't even get to the host matching process. I was first contacted by a recruiter through email. She was actually quite nice, so I don't have any complaints there. I had an initial behavioral interview over the phone, and that took only around 30 minutes or so. I later had to solve two programming questions online in a couple of hours. They weren't terrible. I had two hour long interviews over the phone, but the connection on the first interview was terrible, so they let me do a third one. There was like, a month between every one of these phases. After a few weeks, my recruiter let me know that I wasn't able to move on to host matching.

I have no complaints about the people-- they are just doing their job. I do, however, think the process was the most ridiculous thing ever. Had I made it into the host matching phase, I was told that it could take anywhere from 0-3 months, and you aren't even ensured a job until a host accepts you. Insane.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Got an email from recruiter and interview got scheduled two weeks later. Phone interview was not hard but I could not manage the time to answer the second question.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)) in November 2016.

Interview

I see that many people are focusing in their posts on what is asked in interviews. So instead I will try to focus on what to do to better prepare for the interview.

1. Been said before, but go over "Cracking the coding interview" cover to cover. You don't need to solve each and every question, but you should be able to offer several approaches to each question, and be able to implement the basic coding solutions (recursion, queue iteration, BFS, DFS, binary search, etc.)

2. Solve the Glassdoor example interview questions. In at least 2 occasions, I found in glassdoor the exact same questions I was asked in the interview.

3. You can and should ask your recruiter for a feedback after each interview.
    This is how I discovered the interviewer was dissatisfied with my theoretical knowledge after the preliminary interview. And the several interviews complained about my coding skills in the main interviews.

4. To pass the Google interview you need to be able to write flawless code. It will not be too long/complex, but you need to train beforehand, and you need to invest the time and effort during the interview to make your code bug free.

5. You need to be familiar with the theory of searching algorithms, sorting algorithms, BDS, DFS, dynamic programming and memorization. I recommend being able to implement each without a hitch.
    You also need to know how hashing works, how hash maps are implemented, and be able to do so yourself.

6. The interviewers, for the most part, do not like or dislike you. Their job is trying to give the most accurate picture about you to the hiring committee. If they ask you hard or numerous questions, they're not trying to pressure you or fail you, they're really trying to allow you to show your true potential.
    Interviews that finish exactly at the time mark are the ones that should concern you. They either thought you were flawless, or that you're not worth wasting their time on.

7. Pace yourself, even though you're fresh and focused at the start of the interviews, by the 5 hour mark you'll be sleepy and exhausted, and the last interview might be the one that costs you the job offer. So try to pace yourself, and leave some energy to the last interview.

8. Despite what they tell you, you do need to be perfect in all your interviews to pass.
    And the preliminary interview is not an indication if the level of the interviews at Google.
    It might be an indication if the level of the questions, but the bar to pass it is much lower than the real interview day.

9. Don't think that if you're algorithm developer or a software design expert, that part would be easy for you. Google adapts their interview to your level - so if you have a lot of experience in a specific field, their expectations from you in that field will be much higher.

10. Don't rely on memorizing answers to common questions. Even if you know an answer to a given question (and even if you convince the interviewer you just solved it yourself), he will have enough follow up questions (that you can't anticipate) to ask you, to check what exactly you know and don't know.

A bit about my personal process:
    I had a preliminary interview on-site, I was asked a medium recursion question, which I was asked to solve and code. And afterwards asked a hard follow-up question (which I was to asked to code) with a bunch of follow up optimization questions.
    After passing the preliminary interview, I asked for a feedback and was told the interviewer was impressed with the logic and intuition, but felt my knowledge of specific algorithms was lacking.
    I was then invited to a day of 5 back-to-back interviews with a 1 hour lunch break in the middle.
    During the interview day I had 3 logic interviews (all had medium questions and coding of solution), followed by a lunch break, followed by a software design interview (which was hard, I suspect because I have experience in that field) and a final logic interview with a hard question (which I botched, because I was too tired, and my brain blacked out).
    A few days later I got a callback with a negative answer. I asked for a feedback, and was told that several interviewers complained about my coding skills (that there were some minor bugs in my code they pointed out to me during the interview).

Interview Questions

• Given any point on earth, find the tallest building within 100 meters from it (a software design question). Followed by a whole bunch of follow-up questions about software design.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New Delhi (India)) in January 2016.

Interview

Interview
    First round was group discussion.There were 20 guys in each panel out of which 6-7 guys were selected. Next round was stress interview where they see your English communication skills. They also asked if you have any experience in sales and marketing. Most questions were from your resume, so prepare well from your resume.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google in November 2015.

Interview

I have been referenced by someone who came to our university, then a recruiter contacted me and we scheduled a 45-minute interview. Then an interviewer called me via Google hangouts and began to asked me questions. The questions was easy however, I was really stressed and couldn't answer them.

Interview Questions

• how would you count the number of each character. Which I asked if it is ASCII or not and he said it's not and I used a Hashmap then he asked bunch of questions about HashMaps.   1 Answer