Google Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 12, 2017

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (Madison, WI) in November 2016.

Interview

The main part of the interview consisted of an online coding assessment. It had two coding tasks of above-average difficulty. The unfortunate thing was that they offered the opportunity to do some practice problems before starting the assessment, claiming them to be of similar difficulty, but the practice problems were actually much easier, thus leading to the actual assessment catching me off guard. The actual problems aren't impossible to someone taking higher-level programming classes, but they do require a lot of practice ahead of time.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

I removed my other in-depth review because I gave a negative impression and as a result got abuse messages from some anonymous person, I reported it to Glassdoor but they ignored it and let it stand. So I'll no longer bother giving in depth reports. I'm an experienced s/w person with highly specialized skills, and the Google recruiter contacted me (not other way around) and made it clear that was why they wanted me. When I said 'no' to taking their one size fits all coding test, they could no longer proceed. I made it clear that I don't believe in those coding tests (like asking an experienced accountant to prove they know double entry bookkeeping), especially not for experienced professionals with a track record, nor even for recent grads since recent grads are encouraged to show their accomplishments by doing projects. The recruiter agreed actually and was embarrassed but policy prevented him from proceeding, he said. I hope the coding test trend ends soon. I personally believe companies are losing out on good people because of them. And if this report also gets abusive comments, I'll just delete it too, and just not bother saying anything about a company, even a truly hostile company, for fear of retaliation by their proponents - which is a pity since it makes Glassdoor a lot less valuable for job seekers.

As for others, it's up to you if you want to take the coding test, even if the questions (as reported here actually) have nothing to do with the job you are applying for or the skills you've worked to build. As for new grads or interns, it may be more applicable, but frankly, your project work should attest more to your abilities, at least that's how I hire people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Initially it started with a coding sample which was relatively easy. After that I had 2 on campus interviews back to back - each lasting 45 minutes. These two were just testing basic data structure/algorithm knowledge. It's best to brush up on all the basic computer science skills and being comfortable with combinatorics and probability problems because they love a lot of those types of questions.

Interview Questions

• Related to probability, hash tables, 2d arrays, shortest path   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

First I had the codility test where my knowledge regarding Strings and Math was tested. It was pretty basic. After that the phone interview was scheduled. The recruiter was a nice guy and helper me through the problem. The problem was a little difficult and it took some time to solve.

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Google in October 2016.

Interview

My interview process was absolutely ridiculous. It spanned a total of 4.5 months, and I didn't even get to the host matching process. I was first contacted by a recruiter through email. She was actually quite nice, so I don't have any complaints there. I had an initial behavioral interview over the phone, and that took only around 30 minutes or so. I later had to solve two programming questions online in a couple of hours. They weren't terrible. I had two hour long interviews over the phone, but the connection on the first interview was terrible, so they let me do a third one. There was like, a month between every one of these phases. After a few weeks, my recruiter let me know that I wasn't able to move on to host matching.

I have no complaints about the people-- they are just doing their job. I do, however, think the process was the most ridiculous thing ever. Had I made it into the host matching phase, I was told that it could take anywhere from 0-3 months, and you aren't even ensured a job until a host accepts you. Insane.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

A multi-step interview:
    1) I had a phone conversation with the recruiter.
    2) I had a technical phone screen with a developer, and was then invited in for a full-day interview.
    3) I had a full-day interview with a variety of developers. The problems were interesting.

The interview process was not well-run. The final developer didn't know what to do with me after the interview. The recruiter took two months after the interview to "gather responses" from the developers doing the interview before he could give me a firm "yes" or "no".

Interview Questions

• How would you design a system for predicting text message input based on the numbers entered in a standard (0-9) phone keypad?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google in July 2016.

Interview

We first started off.with a brief introduction and why I picked software development.

Then we jumped into the technical phone interview, where he asked me questions similar to those on TopCoder (250 points). If you can solve most of the probkelms with relative ease on there, then you should do well on the interview process.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

phone interview, almost 8 hours. Also whiteboard interview on coding problems.

Dynamic Programming
     Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs)
     Probability/statistics related programs
     Graphs: BFS/DFS, LDFS
    Data structures and search algorithms

Interview Questions

• lots of problems from Leetcode, basic stuff.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Google in April 2016.

Interview

Applied through LinkedIn. Got a call from recruiter. First a phone interview was conducted that lasted for about 30 min. General questions were asked. Recruiter went through my resume and explained the job position in detail. Later, after a week I got an online test. Which was about 60 min long. Two programming questions were asked. Choice of the programming language is open. First question was rather small and it was directly from Google's learning courses on python. Second one was rather difficult and time consuming. It needed an optimum solution in time. I did do well with both the questions but not upto the mark. I will try again next year

Interview Questions

• 1st question was on strings
      2nd question was on file systems
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Newark, NJ) in April 2016.

Interview

The process took a long time. The 3 HR's called me for around 2 months and later the interview was fixed on a day. There were 2 interviews of 45 mins each back to back with 2 technical ppl.

Interview Questions

• Static keyword, inner/nested classes,oops, implement hashtable in java and another one was programming question   1 Answer