Google Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Houston, TX) in December 2015.

Interview

There were two telephonic interviews. Both interview included coding questions based to test algorithmic knowledge and hold on the programming language. The interviews went pretty well but got a rejection call after few days. I think companies should start letting the candidates know about the reason that why they are not hired, this will help to work on the mistakes made in one interview so that it is not repeated again.

Interview Questions

• First interview question was to test the program flow and the knowledge of the programming language chosen. Second interview was more of an algorithmic test including time and space complexity and methods to improve them.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Arlington, TX) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied online through career website. Recruiter contacted me after a month of application. We scheduled a hangout interview however due to some technical difficulties, had to switch it to phone.
    Questions were pretty simple about compressing data. Everything went well.
    However i received a call saying that i received a positive feedback but they are looking for someone with more experience. (I am just graduating my Masters and have no prior experience).
    It was my first ever interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Evanston, IL) in September 2015.

Interview

Round 1 was two separate interviews. They started off with one personal then asked a technical question with a few followups. The personal questions was very obviously less important than the technical question. It was probably ignored in the process

Interview Questions

• They asked me some normal technicals about list sorting and alphanumeric encryption. Was pretty standard   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

I skipped the initial phone interview because I had a good internship interview the previous year, so they had me come straight to onsite. Onsite I had 4, 45 minute long interviews, one question each, and lunch with an employee.

Interview Questions

• Binary search for closest value to given value.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Google in July 2015.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me to start the interview process. I sent in a resume, and I got a long list of suggested prep material. I say suggested because they don't really have to stick to the prep material, and will most likely ask at least a few questions not covered by the list.

I set up a phone interview that lasted for about 45 minutes. In total, I was only asked two technical questions. For the first one, I was asked to write an algorithm to solve a random problem they gave me. Wasn't sure how to go about it at first, so I talked through my thought process until I came up with a solution. He asked about the running time and what kind of tests I would write for it.
    The next question was about web programming and networking. This question wasn't on the list of prep material, but it wasn't completely out of bounds. The interviewer was really vague at first, then as we kept talking about it, I was finally able to figure out what he actually meant and what kind of response he expected from me.

After that, it was all just behavioral questions and things like what projects I'm working on.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied on the career section of the website. I got contacted the following day by a recruiter. She was really nice and explained the hiring process with a lot of details. I got a 45-min phone technical interview about coding challenge. The day after, I was invited to go on site to do a day of interviews (5). The interviews were on the same format than the phone interview: a coding challenge to do on a whiteboard in 45min.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I received a phone call for a phone interview conducted while simultaneously coding in a shared Google Doc. I received a link prior to the interview, as well as a list of things to study. However, as it was a simple phone interview, the topics covered during the interview was not extensive.

Interview Questions

• I was asked not to reveal their question, however, they set up a scenario to pose a problem and asked how I might write a function to solve it.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Applied online, received 2 phone interviews (45 mins long each). The first one asked me about my resume, and the coding question is about binary search. The second one ask me to code a permutation problem, and ask running time, etc.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The whole process is quite smooth. HR contact you and schedule a phone talk about your basic background. Then he/she will schedule a technical phone interview using google docs. It is more about writing code to solve a problem. You can use any language you are familiar with. The question is not difficult and then the people interview you will require a optimzed solution for this question. You need to talk and think and write code.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google in February 2015.

Interview

So far I've only completed a phone interview, but it was different in that I was asked to write some code (in the language of my choice, in my case c++) in a google drive document.

The interviewer asked me to create a class to describe a deck of cards, then write some functions for such things as shuffling and scoring a hand of poker. Each task was followed up with additional questions, and incorrect or non-optimal solutions were questioned and gently led towards a better solution.

I scored an on site interview, despite messing up the shuffling algorithm pretty badly. The interviewer walked me through some questions about my implementation, and led me towards a better one.

Interview Questions

• Create an algorithm for shuffling a deck of cards.   2 Answers