Google Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 31, 2017

3.5

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in March 2017.

Interview

Phone review in the morning. Great interviewer with a simple question first and two follow-up questions. Solved all with a small bug in the last one. Received a phone call from hr told me I passed and will have an onsite interview later.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a phone interview. Submitted resume over Google recruit site. As a new graduate I was given an email with some links to study on the scale of the coming interview and a bunch of papers about GFS, bigtable and such stuff.. HR reached out to me in two weeks via email after the resume was sent. She was helpful and responsive. During the phone interview, the interviewer got straight forward to coding without asking anything about the resume. Overall it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Given a sorted array, find all the numbers that occur more than n/4 times.   1 Answer
    • Given a list of words, find the longest prefix that applies to all words.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Madison, WI) in January 2017.

Interview

The recruiter will setup a time where you can take the Snapshot Survey (~20min) and coding sample (1 hour) over a 2 week period. If they like that response, they will setup 2 phone call interviews and then if they like those, they will invite you on site.

Interview Questions

• I am unable to share the questions from the coding sample.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Took an online quiz that was relatively simple. Then another that was harder.

Then there were two phone interviews about two questions each.

Went to Google Mountain View in November and had four interviews. Wasn't too easy.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google in January 2017.

Interview

First round phone interview after the online OA, I got two questions for the phone interview and they are easier than I expected, all easy level questions in leetcode. However, I have a bug for the second question and didn't find it by my own. Got rejected after a week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Boston, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

It is an OA and Survey. People should do the OA first and then do the survey. The OA contains two problems. The first one is easy to answer and the second one is very long and hard to understand. You shoud use DFS to answer the second question.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

There are two phone interview for intern application, and the questions are about data structure and algorithm. And every interview last 45 min, the interviewer will ask you to write code on google doc. And he will describe the problems to you, you should write code on google doc.
    Firstly, the interviewer ask you about the projects in you resume, and you should answer his questions about your project, like how did you implement this project and why did you choose this algorithm to do you project.
    And then they would ask you some algorithm problems and data structure questions.
    Finally, if you have time, you could ask them some questions about their work and their group.

Interview Questions

• How to implement union find?
      longest palindrome
      1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Had two on-campus interviews and one follow-up phone interview used as "another data point." On campus interviews went okay, I was able to do the problems but it took me a little longer than I should have needed. The follow-up interview went well in my opinion but probably not well enough to compensate for my mediocre performance on the on-campus ones.

Interview Questions

• Given two lists A and B containing sorted non-unique integers, return the elements in A but not B and the elements in B but not A.   2 Answers
    • Make a data structure for adding numbers, removing numbers, and returning the median. Give the O(n) time of each operation.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone screen followed by an online recorded programming challenge. The programming challenge was pretty easy in my opinion. Maybe that has something to do with why I got hired. I think it was a very fair challenge though. Not like a hazing ritual but a very straightforward problem to code a solution to.

Interview Questions

• I don't recall exactly the challenge but you had to code something in a tool that recorded you as you typed. And then they can later review how it went.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Zürich (Switzerland)) in October 2016.

Interview

The interviewers were pleasant and helpful. The questions were programming problems based around fairly difficult puzzles and algorithms. There were 2 interviews of roughly 45 minutes each at the end of which I was asked to ask my queries. I was required to discuss my algorithm/solution to the problem, think of more efficient alternates, think up an implementation and code clean and bug free on google docs in a language out of C++/Java/Python.

Interview Questions

• How do you evaluate the reverse polish notation. Additionally implement a variant that also allows assigning values to variables, recalling them and reassigning them as an addition to the RPN.   1 Answer