Google Software Engineer III Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Software Engineer III Interview Questions

Updated Feb 23, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hayward, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Hayward, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Online coding test followed by phone interview, followed by on-site interview.

The online coding test consists of two coding challenges that must be completed in under one hour.
The phone interviewer is an engineer who tests you on your data structure and algorithms knowledge. You have half an hour to go through the different questions, and your only available editor is google sheets which you will be invited to by the interviewer.

I did not make it to the onsite interview.

They also survey some of your personality and work habits before the interview process.

Interview Questions

• They may not only ask about data structures and algorithms, on the phone interview they also asked me about converting a large decimal to binary on paper, which threw me off a bit.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

By far my best Big 4 recruitment experience. My recruiters went out of their way to inform me about their process, to make sure that any questions that I had were answered, and provided me with materials to prepare for my interviews. My process took longer than usual due to the holidays.

Interview Questions

• Multiple questions about data structures, graphs, and matrices.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very nice and helpful interviewers. The whole process took about 7 months, but that was with me accepting another company's offer in-between, which probably delayed things. I had a recruiter screen, phone screen (where you write code into a Google Doc) and then an onsite with 4 people.

Software Engineer III Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

pretty strict with phone screen and then onsite interview process. The process is slow but makes sure only the good candidates get through. Not a lot of companies have such a long process. They care right from setting up the phone screen to everything. They also vet a lot of candidate from the resumes itself.

Interview Questions

• q1) describe a binary tree and implement a search function   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

4 rounds with different interviewers all mixed types. Interviewers were of wide seniority but were all on the project team. Questions did not rely on obscure theory but applying standard data structures and considering performance. It took 2 weeks after the interview to get an offer. The recruiter kept me informed throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Find the largest contiguous group of trues in a boolean 2D array.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

this is the best interview i ever have. the recruiters are also nice and hard-working (they even reply my email around mid-night...)

onsites includes 5 rounds: 4 coding + 1 phd research discussion.
    coding covers data structure design (heap), DP and system design questions (distributed/parallel processing, workload balancing)

Interview Questions

• 2 rounds of phone interview. questions are not difficult, one hashmap related, one DP.
      onsites includes 5 rounds: 4 coding + 1 phd research discussion.
      Answer Question

Software Engineer III Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

All day interviews which basically required knowledge of manipulating data structures and algorithms. Mainly DFS/BFS tree traversal. Most people interviewing were very nice. Talked to the department head and he was very understanding of my situation with other offers.

Software Engineer III Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google in January 2015.

Interview

I was recruited for a specific position, but told that I had to pass the general technical interview before I could be considered. The recruiter was very accessible and worked with my schedule to set up everything. There was no rush at all. The interview itself was ok - I felt like the people who were assigned to evaluate my PhD research project had no background at all while the guy assigned to my technical interview would have been much more appropriate (and he had trouble following my solution in the technical interview).

Interview Questions

• NDA applies here - Cracking the Coding Interview is a very good indication of what you will encounter, though. Focus on coding quickly and understanding seemingly simple questions inside out.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

4 out of 5 of the interviewers are quite nice and friendly. However, my first interviewer is extremely arrogant. Also, my recruiter is very irresponsible. She didn't show up the day I interviewed and have never replied to any emails that I sent her.

Software Engineer III Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I participated in a phone screen interview. The interview was supposed to last 45 minutes. The interviewer told me about his background for the first 5 minutes and then asked me a question. We spent the rest of the time working on that question and some simple extensions of it.

Interview Questions

• I'm not supposed to talk about the questions they ask for the interviews.   Answer Question