Google Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions

3.4

123 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied through a referral and had two hangout interviews end-to-end. The interviewers were really nice and trying to get the most out of me. I struggled during one of the two interviews, and thus was not proposed a position there. The whole process took around 2 weeks, and the phone interviews were the last round of the process.

My recruiter was especially nice and gave me information about how to prepare for the interviews, so all the applicants are on the same page.

Interview Questions

• "Classic" questions including data structures and a bit of maths   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Zwei Telefoninterviews (direkt hintereinander) mit Software Engineers. Die Gespräche waren rein fachlich, Themengebiete waren Mathematik, Algorithmen, Datenstrukturen und verteilte Anwendungen. Bei den Programmieraufgaben musste man die Algorithmen in syntaktisch korrektem Code implementieren (man konnte die Programmiersprache wählen, ich habe mich für Java entschieden). Die Interviewpartner sind stets an einer optimal Lösung interessiert -- ist die Laufzeit suboptimal, oder werden Sonderfälle nicht berücksichtigt, sollte man seinen Algorithmus danach verbessern.

Interview Questions

• Vor allem typische Fragen zu Datenstrukturen und Algorithmen, wie man sie in Interview-Büchern oder Webseiten findet.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Went through campus recruiting. Three interviews in total. Two technical and One semi-technical for host matching. First two were on campus interviews and tested for algorithmic and critical thinking skills. Know your algorithms and data structures and you should be good.
    Friendly and helpful recruiters.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question they asked me was Why Google? I said, Why not Google?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Google (Irvine, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Applied online after going to a job fair.
    Was contacted for interview at career center.
    I was asked basic questions on Java and its various features. They didn't ask any huge curveball questions, they asked things that most people should know at my level.
    Generally, they only ask questions about the things listed in your resume.

Interview Questions

• There were not too many unexpected questions. One was about how to parse a directory string.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in May 2014.

Interview

Got interview opportunity by talking to university recruiter. Interviewed at HQ with a small team of guys. Asked a lot of CS questions. Took about 2 hours. Did not get offer.

Interview Questions

• Write a method to return all permutations of a string.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I interviewed at Google (Sydney (Australia)) in December 2012.

Interview

Applied online and didn't hear from then for a few months. Received a phone call from HR with a lot of technical questions such as converting binary to numerical numbers. After the initial interview, you receive an email to prepare for the next interview of typing up code on Google docs.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected to answer so many technical questions on the spot.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview

I ask a friend to refer me in Jan and get first phone interview in Feb. The interview question is quite simple, very common with leetcode problems. And they will ask you to analyze the complexity and improvements. I got one more interview in March, since they are hard to evaluate me. After I pass the interview in March, they said I am in a hosting match process. I was very excited, however, I found that at that time there is almost no positions in Google. The final result is that I got a reject letter no long before.

Interview Questions

• Common interview problems like string processing. Remove repeated chars in a string.   2 Answers

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

had two phone interviews. Both interviews consist of coding for given problems. Only coding..not asked my research or interest area even though I am a phd candidate who mainly research on specific topic.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Applied online before Christmas, didn't expect to hear back at all, but in late January got an email and 2 45-minute technical interviews over the phone were scheduled. A couple of days before the first interview, I contacted the recruiter as I wasn't confident I have had enough time to prepare. My interview was pushed back a week, which was extremely nice of Google.

In the first inverview, I was asked to code a very basic, well-known algorithm but the interviewer did not specify that in the question, it was more like 'how would you do this?'-type question. Then I was asked to walk through a sample input and explain how the algorithm would execute. Finally I was asked how I would adequately test the algorithm. Second question involved coming up with a solution to a problem involving 2 integer arrays. No coding was required, just an explaination of how I would go about it.

Second interviewer had me explain some object-oriented concepts, even though I chose to answer in C. There were some ambigious questions about the Google search engine and the Google servers, which I'm pretty sure I did not answer correctly. Then I was asked to write an encryption function, and once I managed to complete it, the problem was made more difficult a couple of times and for each I had to rewrite the code to suit the problem.

Overall, I thought the interviews were not as hard as I thought they would be, and both of the interviewers were quite nice and patient, explaining concepts I did not understand, or helping me find the right solution. At the end of each interview I had some time to just chat with them, and ask questions, which I thought was great.

Interview Questions

• How does the Google search engine work?   2 Answers

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in October 2011.

Interview

Contacted by an recruiter through email and scheduled an onsite interview

Interview Questions

• One question is regarding coding skills and one is regarding algorithm design. The later one is about graph and is difficult. Didn't figure out the solution myself. The interviewer is nice and offered lots of hints.   Answer Question