Google Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions

Interviews at Google

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Boston, MA) in October 2012.

Interview

An employee at Google helped me submit my resume to their referral system. Two days later a recruiter contacted me and asked me to fill some standard forms about my location preference and skills. Then another recruiter asked me preferred dates for two telephone interviews.

There were two 45 minute interviews and the interviewer were very well-prepared. Very standard data structure and algorithm coding problems. They helped me throughout the whole process. Make sure that you think aloud and tell them your thoughts and concerns. Do not hesitate to ask them if there's anything not clear. Although I made some mistakes and got the final correct answer/code after a lot of their hints, I was noticed one day after my interview that I had passed.

Then was the host matching process. Someone(including me) may think that if apply early, we would get an offer for internship if we can pass the tech interviews because Google would match you to different hosts until summer. BUT this was not the case. Now they have a new policy. If the recruiter can't find a host that shows interest to the candidate within several weeks, the intern will be rejected. It seems a lot of candidates who pass the tech interviews can't get an offer because no match can be found.

After a host showed interest to me, we had a non-technical phone talk, which was about half an hour. He first asked some experiences on my resume. Then introduced his project and asked if I was interested. We were both satisfied and two days later my recruiter told me she will prepare an offer. One more week later I got a phone call from the recruiter about the offer and two more days later I got the offer letter. It's an intern position at Mountain View. Satisfied and accepted immediately.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation because it's an internship

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Boulder, CO).

Interview

Submitted my resume online and was contacted within a week by my recruiter. She set up two 45 minute interviews for 3 weeks later.

The interviews were back to back. I can't give details about the questions because of the NDA, but the first dealt mainly with common data structures and algorithms - any computer science major should have been able to easily code the solutions. I got through about 6 questions with a few bugs along the way (mainly because of nerves) but the interviewer was very nice about pointing them out and giving me an opportunity to correct them.

The second interview did not go nearly as well. I got stumped on the first question and ended up spending all 45 minutes on it; it shouldn't have been very hard, but it dealt with a concept I hadn't thought about for a while so I didn't know where to begin. The interviewer was not particularly friendly or helpful (he would correct my code as I wrote it which was a bit annoying and nerve-wracking) but overall wasn't mean. By the end of the 45 minutes I had a working (although not at all elegant) solution.

Seeing as my second interview went so terribly I was shocked when I received an email the next day from my recruiter saying I made it to the host matching phase. I was in Google purgatory for 3 and a half long weeks before I heard back from a potential host in Boulder, CO. My recruiter set up an interview for the following week. The host interview hardly felt like an interview, it was very conversational and was mostly him telling me about the position. He ended the phone call basically telling me I had the job; about 5 minutes later I received a congratulatory email from my recruiter, and was given the official offer the next day.

Interview Questions

• During the host interview: What is your favorite/least favorite thing about the java language?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation - internship.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google in January 2010.

Interview

on campus interview (2 sessions) + 1 phone interview. On campus interview has 2 15-20 min sessions talking to one engineer. The senior one asked me about linked list and queue. The second one asked me (1) something solved by devide-and-conquer (2) digit dial on the phone pad, how to enumurate all numbers. I did good in the second one and badly in the first one, and that's why they want a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• enumurate all phone numbers by the digit dial on the phone keypad   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

It was a google hangout interview where I coded in a googledoc in front of an engineer. It was suppose to be a phone interview, which instead became a google hangout call.

The process was standard with behavior questions, then a coding question, then questions for the interviewer. The person was nice and very understanding. They asked me to calculate the run time of my algorithm.

Interview Questions

• Write a method that generates a random sequence of numbers of specific percentages.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

two 45-min interviews, First talk about resume and two basic coding questions: hashMap and Newton-raphson functions. Second, talk about two basic coding questions: hashMap and flatten iterator.
    I didn't work out the iterator question and finally get rejected.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

One round OCR followed by one round of phone interviews. Questions were actually pretty straightforward. In the end I spent 6 weeks in host selection before being told they couldn't find a project. I made the mistake of not recruiting during the host selection process, hedge your bets and keep other options on the table.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in February 2013.

Interview

Applied online and through career services. Got an on campus interview that consisted of two rounds of interviewers, for 45 minutes each. The first interviewer asked to find the length of the longest chain of consecutive integers in an unsorted set. The second interviewer asked to approximate pi, and to find a way to encode and decode a string.

Interview Questions

• Find the length of the longest chain of consecutive integers in an unsorted set in linear time.   5 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

I had two phone interviews and an interview with my to-be host. All three interviews were 45 min each and the two phone interview were basic computer science questions. The host interview were specifically about the project to test my skills.

Interview Questions

• Write down different versions for computing the fibonacci sequence.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Had two phone interviews. Asked basic questions, algorithm, OOP, complexity, data structures, and some probability problems. The interviewers are nice. They do not expect you to answer all of their problems, but to see how far you can go with these problems.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter that put me through two back to back interviews.

The questions were interesting and definitely took time to answer.

Once the interviews were over, I was put into a host matching period where I had to wait for someone at Google to want to take me as an intern.

Interview Questions

• Not going to disclose the questions but data structures with a sweet twist :).   Answer Question