Google Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Google

3.4

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

They were very prompt when it comes to recruiting. It took me about 3 weeks from the moment I applied to the point where I had all the interviews. My advice is to practice doing easy/medium problems of Div. 1

Interviewers were helpful in general.

Pay close attention to data structures and algorithms. You need not know anything more than what is being in the standard courses of the university with a good CS program.

Interview Questions

• Signed the NDA :(
    Basic stuff. If you do well on Topcoder algorithms - you should be fine.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google in January 2012.

Interview

Applied on line. Initially 2 phone interviews and then one more phone interview.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

Asked typical CS-style interview questions, eg. reverse a linked list, print all permutations of a set of numbers, graph traversal, etc. Involved writing code on a whiteboard, followed by time/space analysis of solutions, can this algorithm be improved, etc. Also was asked other technical questions (explain what inheritance is, how does virtual memory work, etc) and had to talk about some of the points on my resume.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in December 2009.

Interview

My recruiter was very friendly. She was a little slow to respond to emails, but it wasn't too bad.

The technical interviews were fairly easy.

After the technical interview, there were project interviews. These were just to determine whether or not I would be interested in a given project; it was for my benefit more than theirs.

I ended up turning down their offer the first year to take an opportunity programming for public health in Cambodia, but they told me that I could go with them the following year without having to repeat the technical interview.

The next year, my recruiter connected me with a project in Google.org that I accepted.

Interview Questions

• "Please define these random Object Oriented Programming terms"   Answer Question
    • Write this function (on a Google doc):
      /*How many ways can you make change given the following denominations? ie, if numCentsToMake is 6 and denominations is [25, 10, 5, 1], then it should return 2: either a nickel and a penny or 6 pennies.*/
      int numWaysToMakeChange(int numCentsToMake, int[] denominations)   2 Answers
    • how would you implement a web search engine?   1 Answer
    • how would you find the shortest path between two nodes in a social network?   7 Answers
    • you have a sorted array of real numbers drawn from the uniform distribution between 0 and 1. How can you quickly find a number in it?

This was the last question. They had me implement it on my own and send it back to them.   1 Answer

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Interview

2 phone interviews plus host matching interview

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Interview

Was contacted by HR almost immediately after applying. I filled out a candidate questionnaire and was scheduled to interview on-campus at my school. The questions were straightforward problems and overall not very difficult (analysis of algorithms, sorting, data structures). They asked me about my past experience, various projects I've worked on, what was the biggest challenge for me writing software. I had to sign a NDA related to interview questions.

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging project you worked on? Explain why.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The process started when I applied for a Software Engineering Intern position online. The online application was relatively simple and included basic information such as name, address, education, work experience etc.
    It took approximately 2 weeks after submitting my online application before a recruiter contacted me to schedule 2 phone interviews. After several emails sent back and forth, both interviews were scheduled, one right after the other.
    Both interviewers were very nice and helpful during the interview. Each interview was between 40 and 50 minutes long. I had heard that sometimes the interviewers can be condescending and distant, but this was not the case in my interviews. Both interviewers were very sincere and talked me through the whole process.

Interview Questions

• I am going to respect my non-disclosure agreement that I signed with Google. Just know your basic data structures, algorithms, and be prepared to think on your feet.   1 Answer

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Got in touch with with Google through a campus recruiting event, talked to the recruiter and she told me to turn it in online.

A month or two later I was sent an email saying that I had gotten an interview! I was so excited. I had two phone interviews, that were supposed to be 45 minutes long each with a 15 minute break between them.

The first interviewer called me 15 minutes late so that was a little annoying. We didn't chit-chat or anything and got straight to the problem, which was a board game problem (I won't go further because I don't want to breach my NDA). When my interviewer asked me the question, my mind went blank and I had no idea how to solve it right away so I just talked my way through it. Overall I felt I didn't do too well on this question and I took almost whatever time I had left in the interview to solve this problem.

The second interviewer called about 1-2 minutes after the first interviewer hung up and he talked about what he did a little bit and then we got down to the problem solving. Again, I don't want to breach my NDA so I can't really say what my question was. I thought I solved this problem pretty well and it sounded like my interviewer was fine with my solution. We then talked about another problem and rather than having me code it, he just asked me to describe how I would solve it. After I did this, I asked him some questions about his history and what it was like to work at Google and then we ended the interview about 5 minutes early because we were more or less done.

It took Google about 3 weeks to get back to me (it was a dreaded wait) however I knew after the first interview I wasn't going to get an offer. I felt that to get an internship you needed to blow both the interviews out of the park and I felt like I barely got by the first one and blew the second one out of the park, which wasn't going to be enough.

Overall, I was really nervous because this was my first interview with a big name company and I feel like that really got to me in the first interview. Even though I didn't get an offer, it was really good practice because I ended up interviewing at Microsoft and I learned what not to do in the interview (like be nervous!). I was able to remain calm during my Microsoft interview and I ended up getting an offer there, which I don't think I would have been able to do unless I had this interview with Google.

Interview Questions

• First interview: Board Game question

Second interview: One coding question (honestly I can't remember it for the life of me), and one technical question where I was asked how I would solve it   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

Long, recruiters took awhile to respond

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

I had two in-person interviews coding on a whiteboard. The interviewers were really friendly and offered lots of tips about what working at Google is like. Then, I waited to get a phone interview with my eventual manager. This last interview was really short and involved doing some coding online.

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm to insert a new value into a circular sorted linked list.   4 Answers

Negotiation

No negotation (this was an internship offer)