Google Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions

Interviews at Google

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted the next day. Interview scheduling was really prompt as well. There were 2 back-to-back technical interviews. The first interviewer asked a little about my resume and projects that I had worked on.

Interview Questions

• Signed a non-disclosure agreement so can't give exact questions. Though they're pretty standard interview questions based on Data Structures, String manipulations etc. My best advice would be think about what you would like to ask the interviewer. I totally forgot to prepare questions and I felt like they were waiting for me to ask them something.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Google (Irvine, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Applied online after going to a job fair.
    Was contacted for interview at career center.
    I was asked basic questions on Java and its various features. They didn't ask any huge curveball questions, they asked things that most people should know at my level.
    Generally, they only ask questions about the things listed in your resume.

Interview Questions

• There were not too many unexpected questions. One was about how to parse a directory string.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Went through campus recruiting. Three interviews in total. Two technical and One semi-technical for host matching. First two were on campus interviews and tested for algorithmic and critical thinking skills. Know your algorithms and data structures and you should be good.
    Friendly and helpful recruiters.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question they asked me was Why Google? I said, Why not Google?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

had two phone interviews. Both interviews consist of coding for given problems. Only coding..not asked my research or interest area even though I am a phd candidate who mainly research on specific topic.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Interview

Contacted by Google within two weeks from resume submission. Two consecutive phone interviews in 2 hours, each of which lasts for 45 minutes and with one coding question. No behavioral question. The first interview asked extensively about data structures and some language/design questions. The second interview started coding question directly without asking anything else.

Interview Questions

• Nothing needs knowledge of fancy algorithms, e.g. Knuth–Morris–Pratt algorithm. You just need some "street smartness" on practical problems to work out coding problems. Chapter 10 Scalability and Memory Limits in Cracking the Coding Interview will help.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The hiring process was pretty good. I was recruited, so I had a slightly different pathway, but the recruiter was always on top of things, and response time was quick.

Interview Questions

• Low level systems questions, non-traditional questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Got interview from recruiter, since I had participated in one of Google's summer programs. I was scheduled 2 interviews one after the other on the same day. My interviewers were very friendly and down-to-earth.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of (unsorted) integers, arrange them such that a < b > c < d > e... etc.   5 Answers
    • I noted Python as my language of choice and was thus asked a lot about it, including libraries I had not used before. So whatever language you pick, make sure you're an expert on it!   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The hardest part was getting offered the interviews. I applied through the website as well as emailed a contact from my university - about 3-4 weeks later, I heard back from a recruiter. I had two technical phone interviews (not too bad - I felt like luck had a factor) followed by a longer host-matching period. I just went with the first host that contacted me because I liked the position and didn't want to risk not getting an offer in the end.

Interview Questions

• Under NDA - can't talk about these. Reviewing your algorithms book won't hurt, however.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't feel the need to negotiate.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview

I applied for this job and in a month was contacted by a recruiter. He has set two technical interviews one after another and let me choose the date. Both interviews were tech screens (in Google Hangouts), took approximately 45 minutes and had identically the same structure - first 3-4 minutes interviewer introduces himself and lets you quickly introduce yourself, then he asks you one programming question, you need to code your solution in Google doc so that he sees your performance. After that you discuss possible bugs and time/space complexity (pay attention to it, that's really important).

Interview Questions

• Some basic question - in the solution you just need to apply some rule to change the array order   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Was referred by a current employee. Had an initial phone interview with 2 current engineers. Was asked two somewhat difficult questions as soon as the interview started, without any introductions. I found one of the employees very difficult to hear; with a bad phone connection and a thick accent on his side, it was not an ideal situation. I found the recruiters I talked to very accommodating and responsive.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a few testing questions, which was unexpected since I wasn't applying for a testing position.   Answer Question