Google Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2,545 Interview Reviews

3.4

2,545 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Direct onsite because I interviewed in the past and did well that time. From the time I sent my resume to interview day: 2 weeks. From interview day to offer over the phone: 2 weeks.

The syllabus for the interviews is very clear and simple:
1) Dynamic Programming
2) Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs)
3) Probability related programs
4) Graphs: BFS/DFS are usually enough
5) All basic data structures from Arrays/Lists to circular queues, BSTs, Hash tables, B-Trees, and Red-Black trees, and all basic algorithms like sorting, binary search, median,...
6) Problem solving ability at a level similar to TopCoder Division 1, 250 points. If you can consistently solve these, then you are almost sure to get in with 2-weeks brush up.
7) Review all old interview questions in Glassdoor to get a feel. If you can solve 95% of them at home (including coding them up quickly and testing them out in a debugger + editor setup), you are in good shape.
8) Practice coding--write often and write a lot. If you can think of a solution, you should be able to code it easily...without much thought.
9) Very good to have for design interview: distributed systems knowledge and practical experience.
10) Good understanding of basic discrete math, computer architecture, basic math.
11) Coursera courses and assignments give a lot of what you need to know.
12) Note that all the above except the first 2 are useful in "real life" programming too!

Interview 1:
Graph related question and super recursion

Interview 2:
Design discussion involving a distributed system with writes/reads going on at different sites in parallel.

Interview 3:
Array and Tree related questions

Interview 4:
Designing a simple class to do something. Not hard, but not easy either. You need to know basic data structures very well to consider different designs and trade-offs.

Interview 5:
Dynamic programming,
Computer architecture and low level perf. enhancement question which requires knowledge of Trees, binary search, etc.

At the end, I wasn't tired and rather enjoyed the discussions. I think the key was long term preparation and time spent doing topcoder for several years (on and off as I enjoy solving the problems).

Conclusion: "It's not the best who win the race; it's the best prepared who win it."

Negotiation

You can and should negotiate politely. You are in a stronger position if you have another offer, but even otherwise, you should ask for more of every type of payment!

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I first had a phone screen interview. After this, I was asked to come onsite for further interviews. I had 4 whiteboard and 1 lunch interview with the Youtube team. After this, I was told that my application is going through the Hiring Committee.

Hiring committee asked my HR to find a team for me before giving any decision. I then had two phone interviews with different teams in Android. I informed my HR that I am interested in the first team. Next day, HR emailed me and said that this team no longer has an open position. I again went through the same process. This time, platform team was interested in talking to me. I gave 2 phone interviews wherein they made me write code. After their feedback, I was put through the Hiring committee again and this time I got a thumbs up from them. 1 week after that I was put through executive committee and got my offer.

I had 7 other offers and my HR asked me about all of them before putting me through executive review. They gave me more than any other company I had offer from.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview went seemingly smoothly, except for a couple quirks in the code on the whiteboard. The questions were way easier than I expected. The interviewers were not intimidating at all and did not try to make the process stressful. I felt like I passed and according to HR, the overall feedback was positive. My application went to the hiring committee which, in turn, rejected the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Awesome process. Very simple questions. Keep your nerves cool. Don't worry about very complex questions on the Internet. Do basics and you should be good. I screwed up two simple questions and not expecting offer. I will apply again next year .

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Initial phone screen went well, followed by technical phone screen. Technical phone screen involved discussion of past work/research experience, followed by coding portion. Discussions went well. Coding problem was actually quite easy, but time got the best of me and I ended up giving a working but less than elegant solution. Received feedback in days, saying there were many positives ended up passing on me.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Very structured. In most companies, something to remember is that they go deep, during the interview, into the projects you mention in your CV. So, technical questions are asked as you describe one of your projects

Interview Questions

• For how long do you plan to say in USA   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Phone interview first level with some google employee. If was on time and used online programming platform to solve problem and coding. First it was screening with the recruiter followed with a 1 hr phone call setup with google employees

Interview Questions

• Phone interview asked about nodes and link list   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

I went to the onsite interview, which involves solving 5 problems, each taking about 45 minutes. I found the questions to be lopsided for me, as 3 out of the 4 coding questions were about graphs. One of the interviewers arrived 15 minutes late, so he gave me a super easy question so that we could finish on time.

All of the interviewers were nice and friendly. In the end, I could tell I wasn't what they were looking for. They want someone that can take the question and within a few minutes generate a great answer, and confidently walk them through the solution.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Phone screening - Scheduled for 45 minutes. 2 questions. 1. Simple array addition, 2. Divide and conquer. Answered both correctly within 25 minutes, Still trying to understand why I was rejected. No reason given!!!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

This was a phone screen after interacting with a recruiter. The recruiter was very accommodating and was able to articulate the vast amount of opportunities at Google. The recruiter was nothing short of excellent, and I would love to pursue an opportunity through them in the future.

Interview Questions

• How would you parse out user-inputted HTML tags from a string?   1 Answer