Google Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Google

3,221 Interview Reviews

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Houston, TX) in January 2019.

Interview

The hiring and interview process was extensive. Days waiting answer for emails I have sent. I was only able to take a "test" to prove my skills only in English. Everyone who message with me was very nice. In the future I will try again to apply.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to complete a lot of surveys, one phone call interview, and a "test" of my skills.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Online coding challenge, one phone interview, then 4 onsite interviews. Had a weird issue at the beginning where the initial recruiter email was lost after the coding challenge, but luckily the recruiter resent the email and I was able to setup a phone interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The onsite interview took about one whole day, from 10 am to 4 pm. 5 rounds in total, 4 of them are technical questions, 1 is about your research project.

Interview Questions

• Coding questions and the projects you mentioned on the resume.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Asked about introducing yourself first, and then technical questions for totally about 45 mins. The questions were not that difficult anyway. The interviewer was helpful and provided hints. However I got rejection. Sad

Interview Questions

• Find whether a node is in a complete binary tree.Nodes are from 1-N   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Google (Boston, MA) in September 2018.

Interview

Did 4 interviews total over the course of 2 rounds. First round was quite easy but the 2nd round was much harder. They worked around my schedule to get it set up and was overall very convenient.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in June 2019.

Interview

Phone interviews not particularly hard but tricky. You have to stay fresh in order to think at a smart way to solve the problem.
    Interviewing process absurdly long, the recruiter answer mails every 2 or 3 days.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in July 2019.

Interview

Sent out resume in December, was contacted by a recruiter via e-mail a few months later in May. Set up a brief phone conversation with the recruiter, then a 1 day technical/ behavioral interview loop. Interviewers were supposed to ask specific questions about frontend engineering - ended up over-prepping based on experiences I've read, since no interviewers were asking questions that were any deeper than "do you understand how Promises work". Mostly ended up being focused on general algorithms questions. Recruiter had also shared Google-curated interview prep packets, which was a surprise. Loop went well, was able to meet with various technical leads for prospective teams, one in-person in Kirkland. Offer extended in June, accepted in July.

Interview Questions

• Given a string like "{a,b,c}d", give an algorithm that will expand this string, similar to how Bash expands strings ("ad bd cd").   2 Answers
    • You're running a silent auction, and you're making a program that will print out betting sheets for the various auctioneers. Some numbers are ambiguous when they're printed on a sign, and flipped upside down. Implement a function that determines if a line should be put underneath an auctioneer's number, to disambiguate it from other possible numbers. (e.g. 118 can be read as 811)   2 Answers
    • General javascript questions revolving around a basic understanding of async and ES6 Promises.   1 Answer
    • Using the first letter of each US state, and assuming that you can only travel between states consecutively, implement a program that would exhaustively generate all possible words that can be generated by starting at any given state, and "driving" between states. (e.g. Missouri - Oklahoma - Missouri spells "MOM")   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Recruiter got in touch via campus recruiting. There was an online coding test with 2 problems, then there was a phone screen. Got to the onsite interview - if you're an university student, sign up for the hour-long interview prep session that Google holds, it's pretty helpful and helps if you're feeling stressed about prepping.

Interview Questions

• The questions were like LeetCode Medium, there were a few graph based problems. Know and understand some dynamic programming.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

1 recruiter screen
    1 phone screen
    4 Onsite coding questions
    1 Onsite systems design question

The onsite interviews were back to back so it was pretty brutal. On the bright side, they bring you out for lunch.

Interview Questions

• Can't remember. Something about swapping tree nodes.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

Recent Ph.D. graduate, and a recruiter contacted me via email just before graduation. Surprising because I have no internship experiences at Google. There are several platform teams interested in me. Scheduled interviews ASAP. Skipped phone interviews and required 5 on-site interviews: 3 coding questions, 1 system design question, and 1 personality interview. In general, you would be notified what you are expect to study.

Coding questions were in the range of my expectation. I chose Python to reduce coding time in interview because its code would be very similar to pseudocode in algorithm textbooks. What you need to is: 1) come up with a high-level algorithm, and 2) implement it. To prepare for it, my suggestion is: 1) read an algorithm book and get familiar with strategies to solve problems (e.g. divide-and-conquer, graph algorithm, dynamic programming, etc), and 2) practice writing an high-level idea with your own language. It seems It's also important to write completely working code there. Typically, you're given a simple example, and run with it for debugging. Also, it will be helpful to practice run your own implementation with small examples, which I didn't do before the interviews.

I was assigned a wrong field for system design questions, so I barely answered what interviewers expect. Still, I'm told it would be fine because he understood it wasn't my field. In the last interview, I was asked experience with collaborations, which graduate students are often lack of.

I've just finished interviews, and didn't get the results back.