Google Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2,595 Interview Reviews

3.4

2,595 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Direct onsite because I interviewed in the past and did well that time. From the time I sent my resume to interview day: 2 weeks. From interview day to offer over the phone: 2 weeks.

The syllabus for the interviews is very clear and simple:
1) Dynamic Programming
2) Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs)
3) Probability related programs
4) Graphs: BFS/DFS are usually enough
5) All basic data structures from Arrays/Lists to circular queues, BSTs, Hash tables, B-Trees, and Red-Black trees, and all basic algorithms like sorting, binary search, median,...
6) Problem solving ability at a level similar to TopCoder Division 1, 250 points. If you can consistently solve these, then you are almost sure to get in with 2-weeks brush up.
7) Review all old interview questions in Glassdoor to get a feel. If you can solve 95% of them at home (including coding them up quickly and testing them out in a debugger + editor setup), you are in good shape.
8) Practice coding--write often and write a lot. If you can think of a solution, you should be able to code it easily...without much thought.
9) Very good to have for design interview: distributed systems knowledge and practical experience.
10) Good understanding of basic discrete math, computer architecture, basic math.
11) Coursera courses and assignments give a lot of what you need to know.
12) Note that all the above except the first 2 are useful in "real life" programming too!

Interview 1:
Graph related question and super recursion

Interview 2:
Design discussion involving a distributed system with writes/reads going on at different sites in parallel.

Interview 3:
Array and Tree related questions

Interview 4:
Designing a simple class to do something. Not hard, but not easy either. You need to know basic data structures very well to consider different designs and trade-offs.

Interview 5:
Dynamic programming,
Computer architecture and low level perf. enhancement question which requires knowledge of Trees, binary search, etc.

At the end, I wasn't tired and rather enjoyed the discussions. I think the key was long term preparation and time spent doing topcoder for several years (on and off as I enjoy solving the problems).

Conclusion: "It's not the best who win the race; it's the best prepared who win it."

Negotiation

You can and should negotiate politely. You are in a stronger position if you have another offer, but even otherwise, you should ask for more of every type of payment!

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I first had a phone screen interview. After this, I was asked to come onsite for further interviews. I had 4 whiteboard and 1 lunch interview with the Youtube team. After this, I was told that my application is going through the Hiring Committee.

Hiring committee asked my HR to find a team for me before giving any decision. I then had two phone interviews with different teams in Android. I informed my HR that I am interested in the first team. Next day, HR emailed me and said that this team no longer has an open position. I again went through the same process. This time, platform team was interested in talking to me. I gave 2 phone interviews wherein they made me write code. After their feedback, I was put through the Hiring committee again and this time I got a thumbs up from them. 1 week after that I was put through executive committee and got my offer.

I had 7 other offers and my HR asked me about all of them before putting me through executive review. They gave me more than any other company I had offer from.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview went seemingly smoothly, except for a couple quirks in the code on the whiteboard. The questions were way easier than I expected. The interviewers were not intimidating at all and did not try to make the process stressful. I felt like I passed and according to HR, the overall feedback was positive. My application went to the hiring committee which, in turn, rejected the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Awesome process. Very simple questions. Keep your nerves cool. Don't worry about very complex questions on the Internet. Do basics and you should be good. I screwed up two simple questions and not expecting offer. I will apply again next year .

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

No recruiter met me, straight to developer, who was 15 minutes late. 45 min per interview, 5 technical interviews. Very algorithms focused, no system design questions. Hardest interview I've done. Requires a lot of algorithmic knowledge.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

The phone screen was pretty straightforward and easy as always is for most companies. The engineers were very polite and asked reasonable questions.

The hiring manager was awful and made me feel like walking out. He walked in opening with a ‘I didn’t even bother looking at your resume but maybe I did months ago.’ Big red flag to me. If a candidate walks in unprepared it’s a show stopper, and if an interviewer/manager does that then it is the same way.

I had very good questions from the rest of the team and did solid on the coding interview. They do however need to make sure their hangouts have been properly set up before clipping 8 minutes of my coding time and stop offering coding challenges in Google Docs. It’s not cute and very unprofessional. Every other company uses a proper code editor without the perks of an IDE.

Overall this was my second bad experience with Google where it felt like they didn’t even care. The first time, the engineers seemed more interested in making themselves look smart. I won’t be applying again in the future and I’d rather work for a place where I makena difference, not just a number.

Interview Questions

• How do you deprecate an asset and use the newest version for a web page without changing the name and with concern to caching.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

An online assessment followed by an Onsite interview in the mountain view HQ. Onsite had 5 interviews back to back. Online assessment was very easy. Onsite was very hard and tiring .

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google in October 2017.

Interview

I got a phone interview with Google for the Software Engineer position. The interviewer was not friendly at all. The interview question is kinda open-ended. At the end, I could feel that she thought I was wasting her time because she wanted to end the interview as quickly as possible. It was a really negative experience for me. Google, please have someone friendly to interview candidates...

Interview Questions

• Introduce yourself and a really confusing coding question   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

One hour technical phone interview. Spoke with a recruiter who explained the on site interview process and answered any questions I had. On site interview consisted of 4 separate one hour technical interviews with a 35 minute lunch "interview" between.

Interview Questions

• Find n closest points to the origin (any language)   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter.
    Took 3 weeks (and that's because I dragged it out) They waived my phone screen due to positive internal feedback + previous interview's result.
    Overall expreience was great. Recruiters were very responsive. (I was taken aback a bit by some of the interviews. They had this arrogant, for lack of better words, attitude that I couldn't really get over. )

Interview Questions

• NDA - but general CS concept. (Leetcode hard/medium level questions)   Answer Question