Google Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Google

3,573 Interview Reviews

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Direct onsite because I interviewed in the past and did well that time. From the time I sent my resume to interview day: 2 weeks. From interview day to offer over the phone: 2 weeks.

The syllabus for the interviews is very clear and simple:
1) Dynamic Programming
2) Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs)
3) Probability related programs
4) Graphs: BFS/DFS are usually enough
5) All basic data structures from Arrays/Lists to circular queues, BSTs, Hash tables, B-Trees, and Red-Black trees, and all basic algorithms like sorting, binary search, median,...
6) Problem solving ability at a level similar to TopCoder Division 1, 250 points. If you can consistently solve these, then you are almost sure to get in with 2-weeks brush up.
7) Review all old interview questions in Glassdoor to get a feel. If you can solve 95% of them at home (including coding them up quickly and testing them out in a debugger + editor setup), you are in good shape.
8) Practice coding--write often and write a lot. If you can think of a solution, you should be able to code it easily...without much thought.
9) Very good to have for design interview: distributed systems knowledge and practical experience.
10) Good understanding of basic discrete math, computer architecture, basic math.
11) Coursera courses and assignments give a lot of what you need to know.
12) Note that all the above except the first 2 are useful in "real life" programming too!

Interview 1:
Graph related question and super recursion

Interview 2:
Design discussion involving a distributed system with writes/reads going on at different sites in parallel.

Interview 3:
Array and Tree related questions

Interview 4:
Designing a simple class to do something. Not hard, but not easy either. You need to know basic data structures very well to consider different designs and trade-offs.

Interview 5:
Dynamic programming,
Computer architecture and low level perf. enhancement question which requires knowledge of Trees, binary search, etc.

At the end, I wasn't tired and rather enjoyed the discussions. I think the key was long term preparation and time spent doing topcoder for several years (on and off as I enjoy solving the problems).

Conclusion: "It's not the best who win the race; it's the best prepared who win it."

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You can and should negotiate politely. You are in a stronger position if you have another offer, but even otherwise, you should ask for more of every type of payment!

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Our interviews begin like most, with a 30-minute chat over the phone between the recruiter and candidate. The phone interview begins with the recruiter giving the candidate a brief outline of the company history, an overview of products and cultural environment, as well as the logistics of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Q1. Describe the process you have for a programming task, from requirements to delivery.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The process is slow and doesn't necessarily involve meeting the team you might end up working with. Care isn't always taken that you'll work with the technologies you discuss. Their interviews are overly reliant on the ability to write implementations of algorithms under pressure.

Interview Questions

• Ugh, it's hard enough to come up with good interview questions. Stop ruining them for us.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Very good, organized, difficult questions but not impossible. 4 DS and algorithms and 1 behavioral (Googleyness). There was a good mix of questions, from trees, graphs, Binary trees to linked list and data structures. Lots of good follow up questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

4 round interviews. They will take you to have a tour during the lunch. The question is medium difficulty that followed with hard following-up. Every round is about 45 mins.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

2 rounds of online interviews (Hackerrank etc) with 2-3 questions each. 1 Onsite full day with 4-5 different engineers each for about an hour each. Asked all kinds of programming questions including algorithms, graphs, trees etc.

Interview Questions

• Reverse sum of Integer Linked Lists   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The interview process was hard. I struggled with a couple of the questions and took a long time to think about it. I didn’t figure out the questions. However, my interviewer was nice. I will try again next year. Hopefully, there will be better results.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

1 phone screening, and recruiter thought it would be a good idea to reach out to another recruiter from a different team for my profile. Ended up not liking the role.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

One round of phone interview, after speaking with the recruiter he told me that I would be a great fit for another team. But didn't quite like the role after speaking with another recruiter.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Engaging but Difficult. However, the interviewer was very nice and tried his best to help me in the entire process. I knew what I did wrong in the end and I enjoyed the conversation despite that I did not get to the second round

Interview Questions

• Number of islands. (BFS question - Leetcode)

Why BFS over DFS in this case?

How can we improve this time complexity?   Answer Question