Google Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2,491 Interview Reviews

3.4

2,491 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

At onsite, there are 5 technical interviews, each one will test a different aspect of knowledge or skills. Design, algorithm, implementation, math, data structure etc. you always need to write on the white board. The interviewers are very nice, you can get hints from them. The questions may not be difficult, but you need to finish them in limited time frame.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google in October 2016.

Interview

Sent me an email for initial contact after I had already applied and interviewed before. Had a brief phone call then they sent me a link to a programming assessment. Asked 2 very involved problems to solve in their homemade IDE within an hour. Impossible for any normal person to do in that time. Solved the first one but ran out of time on the second. Sent me an email saying they wanted to personally call me with the results just to tell me no.

Interview Questions

• One was a weird question that involved taking specific digits out of a large number and adding the rest together. The other one was a weirder question about looking thru a directory except the directory is a single string.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

It was hard! So hard! You really need to know your stuff. They asked so many difficult questions- this is NOT for the faint of hearted. Beware- know your datastructures and Big O times like the back of your hand. Be prepared to communicate everything you think as they ask you questions, and prepare to write alot on white boards.

Interview Questions

• Whats the Big O Value of a merge sort?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The process was quite long. I started via the FooBar challenge, and then had a phone interview. After the phone interview, I a round of on site interviews. After the on site interviews, I had yet another round of phone interviews. It was a great experience all around though, and I look forward to reapplying in the future.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a series of programming challenges exclusively. I am bound by a non disclosure to not reveal the actual questions though. Similar questions can be found on any number of websites though. The challenges were all reasonable enough to be completed in a timely manner, so long as you are well prepared.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Received a call from a recruiter to schedule two technical interviews. Interviews were held over the phone. It took 3-4 weeks to receive the results back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Well, it was hard, and ultimately I didn't get a job offer. People were very nice though. Questions included algorithms, systems design, and others. At one of the interviews an interviewer pointed out a mistake in my code saying "Is there anything wrong with the code?", and I immediately saw my mistake, and corrected it. That's the only thing I can think of that didn't go well in my opinion. I obviously don't know how I was perceived. A few days later got a phone call from a recruiter that I didn't get it, but was encouraged to re-apply later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

It was a really cool experience, I met some recruiters on campus and got asked to do a phone screen. I passed the phone screen and flew out to California. I didn't do so well while I was there but it was fun to go out!

Interview Questions

• Things about data structures, trees, big O, everything in cracking the coding interview   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

Several phone interviews. It was via telephone but I also needed to log into the Google systems provided in order to create a common editing experience. I coded thusly in front of the interviewer. I think I was doing reasonably well, and I was looking forward to an in person interview. One of the interviewers left the company for another job and it was too close to the decision point and the process was abandoned (for me). I presume it continued for the other candidates.

Interview Questions

• How would I build a subsystem that involved sorting and searching though data.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Two phone interviews then an onsite. Both phone interviews were an hour each and were vey difficult. Interviewers knew what they were talking about and were very helpful in explaining the question. Overall a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• What is project you were proud of?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Berkeley, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and given a coding challenge to do. At the same time they scheduled two back to back phone screens. I completed the coding challenge but it seemed to have no impact on the recruiting process because I had already scheduled an interview. The interview was fairly difficult for me as a new programmer and the interviewer was not very friendly about it. He seemed annoyed and impatient with me as I struggled with the questions.

Interview Questions

• Given a file of numbers and words find a phone number quickly.   Answer Question