Google Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2,543 Interview Reviews

3.4

2,543 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google in June 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a Google recruiter via LinkedIn. . She set up a phone screening with me on a day that I had off work.

For background, I am currently employed at another company as a Data Scientist. The contact from the recruiter was 100% initiated by her.

When the interviewer initially contacted me, she said that she had several positions open and wanted to gauge my interests and background generally. During the actual phone interview, it quickly became apparent that she had a very specific position in mind as a Software Engineer that she was recruiting for. I even explained during the initial contact that I am happy at my current job and it would take an exceptional offer for which I am a great fit to lure me away. The position she was looking for didn't sound like a good fit for my skills. I even asked her point blank if she had read my resume (probably not) or was just sending bulk messages when she contacted me. She assured me that she thought that I was potentially an excellent fit.

The recruiter then asked me a series of technical questions related to the position she obviously had in mind when she called me. I was caught somewhat off guard by the surprise interview (since she had claimed during our initial contact on LinkedIn that she just wanted to learn more about my background) and not in the mood to play along, so I didn't put much effort into answering her questions. It didn't help that the questions were in an area which isn't a good fit with my background, as I made clear earlier in the conversation.

After about 10 or so minutes of questions, she abruptly ended the interview by saying, "I don't think that you're ready for this position " (duh) and hung up the phone. She later sent me some prep materials to help me get ready for a "future" interview with Google.

I'll be sure to get right on that.

Interview Questions

• Rate the algorithmic complexity of various search algorithms, problems about quicksort, time complexity, python question, math question.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Phone screening - Scheduled for 45 minutes. 2 questions. 1. Simple array addition, 2. Divide and conquer. Answered both correctly within 25 minutes, Still trying to understand why I was rejected. No reason given!!!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Be prepared to code in the technical phone screen. Practice, and review the material that your recruiter will provide you before the on-site interview. The questions will focus on data structures and algorithms.

Interview Questions

• Compare methods of memory management (garbage collection, etc).   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Recruiter responded through email within 2 weeks of applying
    had one phone interview and one google hangout technical interview
    then went to on site interview at google headquarter for the entire day

Interview Questions

• got tested on algorithm and data structure
      web technology and software design   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

2 rounds on campus interviews or 2 rounds of phone interview. Then 4 rounds of on site interview. The interview questions are mostly algorithms problem. The problems for me is the harder than most of the other companies I had interviewed with. But it is still solvable and you need to let them know you thinking process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (San Bruno, CA).

Interview

Initial communication view recruiter. Followed by technical phone screen, then a multi-hour on-site interview. Whole process takes weeks/months. It is very slow moving.

One interviewer did not know how to interview well. Asked the question but when questions were raised, failed to answer the questions and kept talking in circles. Was unable to answer questions due to lack of sufficient explanation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

Quite streamlined process. Got me straight to the in house. The full day of interviewing was okay. During the interviews I actually was disappointed - I expected well known "to see how you think" types of questions instead I received a bunch of typical CS problems that had to be done (coded) under about 30 mins time pressure. There was really no time to think ..you had to know how to solve it or know a similar problem. Overall 45 mins include questions from both sides and coding.

Advice to those who choose to interview with Google - study sample Interviews and read what exact questions they ask. No one cares how you devise a solution - they care for you to come up with an optimal answer within 5-10 mins.

Again, the reason why I was disappointed was that I expected them to evaluate people on the potential and way of thinking instead of "academic" CS knowledge of solutions to their questions.

Interviewed in NYC.

Interview Questions

• forward linked list, traverse in reverse . in O(1) memory   2 Answers
    • question with two dictionaries.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Interview

A coding challenge , followed by two technical phone interviews, then an onsite interview. The coding challenge practice example was very simple, although the two questions in the actual test were rather difficult. I don't believe I did very well on the 2nd one (Some complex string manipulation and recursion problem). The two phone interviews were relatively easy to start but the questions build on each other and get harder. Basic problems -> easy dp optimization -> complex optimization. 2nd interviewer was over an hour late to the call. On site, my first interviewer was also an hour late and I just sat in the waiting room the whole time. The schedule stayed the same so i only had 15 min to do a 45 min interview and was rushed everywhere to finish the rest.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of numbers determine if a nonzero subset of any of its elements can add to 0 mod 2015 with repetition.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I first had a phone call with HR, in which they explained the hiring process. then technical phone interview with a google doc for coding (which i did not have to use)

Interview Questions

• what are 3 different types of data structures   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

They contacted me a week after I applied on the Google website. Great recruiting team, really helpful. They provide a lot of helpful resources to prepare for the interview. I will definitely apply again next year.

Interview Questions

• Simple Data structure and Algorithm questions in the language you prefer.   1 Answer