Google Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2,562 Interview Reviews

3.4

2,562 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Interview

A coding challenge , followed by two technical phone interviews, then an onsite interview. The coding challenge practice example was very simple, although the two questions in the actual test were rather difficult. I don't believe I did very well on the 2nd one (Some complex string manipulation and recursion problem). The two phone interviews were relatively easy to start but the questions build on each other and get harder. Basic problems -> easy dp optimization -> complex optimization. 2nd interviewer was over an hour late to the call. On site, my first interviewer was also an hour late and I just sat in the waiting room the whole time. The schedule stayed the same so i only had 15 min to do a 45 min interview and was rushed everywhere to finish the rest.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of numbers determine if a nonzero subset of any of its elements can add to 0 mod 2015 with repetition.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I first had a phone call with HR, in which they explained the hiring process. then technical phone interview with a google doc for coding (which i did not have to use)

Interview Questions

• what are 3 different types of data structures   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

On site interviewed twice for two positions.
    Very friendly people. The difficulty of questions range from median to hard.
    All sessions are based on coding algorithm questions. Lots of options for lunch.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

They contacted me a week after I applied on the Google website. Great recruiting team, really helpful. They provide a lot of helpful resources to prepare for the interview. I will definitely apply again next year.

Interview Questions

• Simple Data structure and Algorithm questions in the language you prefer.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The interview process was straight forward and took no time at all. Did the phone screen and it was straightforward too. Your mileage may vary though since I've seen some tricky technical phone interviews. Was scheduled for on site, but got rejected due to meeting their quota.

Interview Questions

• uncompress a compressed string (hackerrank level)   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Phone interview in a week after applying for the position, followed by on-site interview in a week or two. On-site teaching session did help me a lot understanding the process.

Interview Questions

• Design DB for huge traffic.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I applied online. The process took around 3 weeks.

Interview
    I gave an online coding test. After clearing the test I received an email to schedule a phone interview. This was a coding interview and they asked general coding problems related to basic algorithms and simple data structures. Nothing beyond standard coding interview problems. As far as I understand, I was supposed to solve them much faster, that I did.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

All of the big companies in Silicon Valley use a similar style of interview. It's well known and Google lays it all out for you. The rest is mostly up to you. My interview seemed to go well overall but there were a couple specific things that made it a bit of a negative experience.

For me, the interview was five 45 minute sessions, plus lunch in the middle. All were technical interviews with engineers – no cultural fit interviews.

Some of the sessions were typical white boarding sessions. And most of the questions seemed relevant. But one session in particular focused on a problem that I felt bordered on being more of a brainteaser than an indicator of actual real world performance. Don't get caught off guard. Make sure that you don't just understand all of the major review topics, but can also implement them without much thought, no matter how academic they might seem.

The other sessions were design/architecture discussions, which I really enjoyed. Although, I felt a little blindsided in one of them. That interview started with a description of a feature and I was asked how I might implement it, in general terms. As the conversation progressed, we got into some white boarding about the data model and talked about performance. So far, so good, I thought. But just five or ten minutes before the end, the interviewer said that she needed to see some code before our time was up. Code?! Needed?! Based on how the interviewer had led the conversation up until then, I had no idea that was an expectation. In other architecture sessions I did that day, coding wasn't a concern at all. So maybe it's worth confirming early what an interviewer wants by the end.

On a side note, I also felt that there was a bit of a language barrier between me and two of the interviewers. Don't be caught off guard if your interviewer speaks English poorly.

Interview Questions

• I can't say. Candidates sign a confidentiality agreement prior to interviewing.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Contacted recruiter. After that, recruiter reached out and set up phone interview. Then I was offered to go onsite with 4-5 more interviews. The whole process was extremely efficient and accommodating.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google in April 2017.

Interview

Applied through an employee referral. Initial phone call with recruiter followed by two rounds of phone interviews. Standard algorithmic questions with coding on a shared google doc. I was rejected after the second round of phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of strings with duplicates, return an array with unique strings in the same order as they appear in original array. E.g. ['Hello', 'World', 'World', 'Awesome', 'Hello', 'Awesome'] -> ['Hello', 'World', 'Awesome']   1 Answer
    • Given a start and end point in a sparse matrix, update the rectangle of entries from start to end. Asked to implement it with a 'matrix' class and an 'update' member function.   1 Answer
    • Sudoku Valid Checker   1 Answer