Google Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2,507 Interview Reviews

3.4

2,507 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

After completing the foobar challenge, I was contacted by a recruiter and asked if I would be interested in interviewing. The recruiter was fantastic, walked me through how the process would work, the time frame between each stage, and what I could do to prepare. Even though I flubbed the first round technical interview, the interviewer was very nice and did all he could to help me relax and stay on track to answer the questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter who set up a phone interview during which I coded in a google doc shared by the interviewer. Was then invited to an on-site interview in Mountain View, where I had four hour-long interviews and an hour-long lunch with a google employee.

There were a couple issues I had with the process.

1) The initial recruiter somehow determined I had a year of professional experience in Android development, which was not true. Therefore, she initially put me on the hiring track for someone who had professional Android experience rather than the hiring track for a recent college graduate. I passed the phone interview on this track, but then the next recruiter I spoke with discovered the error and switched me over to the recent college graduate track for the in-person interview.

2) My recruiter never showed up in the lobby to pick me up for the in-person interview, so 20 minutes after the interview was supposed to start my first interviewer called to find out where I was. She requested that I come to the building where she was, but the secretary said I wasn't allowed to walk there by myself and that she had to come pick me up. I had to tell her to come pick me up, then we went back to the building and started the interview quite late. The entire time, interviewers tried to make up for lost time by shortening their interviews, so it was a fairly frustrating experience.

Travel reimbursement worked well, and it was a nice chance to visit Mountain View though, so that was a plus. The interviewers were also very welcoming, if a bit rushed.

Interview Questions

• Whiteboard coding questions covering CS fundamentals   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google in March 2017.

Interview

Recruiter was great. Did online coding challenge. Once I passed I had a phone technical interview. Did not pass this round. Questions focused on algorithms and data structures. I made simple mistakes.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Google foobar is great, just use it to do the Google coding challenge. After finishing the challenge first 3 levels at a reasonable speed, it will ask you for your personal information. Then there will be a recruiter contacting you later.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

It was hard! So hard! You really need to know your stuff. They asked so many difficult questions- this is NOT for the faint of hearted. Beware- know your datastructures and Big O times like the back of your hand. Be prepared to communicate everything you think as they ask you questions, and prepare to write alot on white boards.

Interview Questions

• Whats the Big O Value of a merge sort?   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Applied online and quickly got back an email with a link to a coding challenge. Did the coding challenge and wasn't able to complete the entire problem which might explain why they never got back to me. Regardless, they never got back to me.

Software Engineering Interview

Interview

Hiring process was alright. Recruiters were understanding. Even called me to tell my rejection lol. Questions weren't very tough. I expected a much higher level. Study ctci. Practice as much as you can - hackerrank, leetcode etc. You need not be competitive programming standard.

Interview Questions

• Can't reveal questions because of NDA signed. Practise ctci and leetcode and you should be fine.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I have interviewed many times with Google so I went straight on-site.

There were 2 data structure design questions (by 2 separate interviewers) which were both open-ended. Both the interviewers weren't nice. I tried to clarify the question and ask more details but they wouldn't provide the info. They were mostly quiet and looking at their laptops or giving short cryptic answers. I almost got the feeling that they wanted me to fail. Most of the time, I felt like I was talking to a wall. These were my first 2 interviews and after that, the rest of the day went bad too and I just gave up. It felt like a waste of time.

Google should train their interviewers to be more social and also revisit their hiring and interview process. They think it works well but it doesn't work that well. They should put 2 random interviewers in the room instead of 1, so that the feedback is not completely dependent on one person who can subjectively decide whether to hire you or not based on whether they like you or not. And also makes it less likely that both interviewers would be rude. There should also be a survey done after the interview asking whether the interviewers were nice or not.

Interview Questions

• 5 interviews. 2 data structure design. 2 coding. 1 systems design. can't say more due to NDA.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Sent an email to a recruiter.
    Received a reply after a week whereby i first did a phone interview and a simple coding test.
    Flew out to google LA where i did an onsite interview with more coding questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (San Jose, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

1. Chatting with HR to find proper groups in google
    2. general phone screening interview to check algorithm background
    3. one programming question and background check
    4. Chatting with HR to get interview feedback.
    5. additional phone screening interview
    6. Phone notification from HR

Interview Questions

• Find first sustring consists of unique characters in given word
      [ex. google -> ogle]