Google Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Google

3,224 Interview Reviews

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in December 2018.

Interview

I managed to get a referral from a googler, then after one or two weeks I get the online assessment. Finished it few days later. One week after that, I get to the phone screen phase, I choose to do that 3 weeks later. Finally, I didn't pass the phone screen.

Interview Questions

• Signed a NDA, but I would say it's an easy problem with String.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Online problem solving with two questions.
    two phone interview, both asked to write down your code on a blank google doc. Questions wasn't hard, but it was hard to understand what the interviewer wanted for the second round.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Recruiter got in touch via campus recruiting. There was an online coding test with 2 problems, then there was a phone screen. Got to the onsite interview - if you're an university student, sign up for the hour-long interview prep session that Google holds, it's pretty helpful and helps if you're feeling stressed about prepping.

Interview Questions

• The questions were like LeetCode Medium, there were a few graph based problems. Know and understand some dynamic programming.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

1 recruiter screen
    1 phone screen
    4 Onsite coding questions
    1 Onsite systems design question

The onsite interviews were back to back so it was pretty brutal. On the bright side, they bring you out for lunch.

Interview Questions

• Can't remember. Something about swapping tree nodes.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

Recent Ph.D. graduate, and a recruiter contacted me via email just before graduation. Surprising because I have no internship experiences at Google. There are several platform teams interested in me. Scheduled interviews ASAP. Skipped phone interviews and required 5 on-site interviews: 3 coding questions, 1 system design question, and 1 personality interview. In general, you would be notified what you are expect to study.

Coding questions were in the range of my expectation. I chose Python to reduce coding time in interview because its code would be very similar to pseudocode in algorithm textbooks. What you need to is: 1) come up with a high-level algorithm, and 2) implement it. To prepare for it, my suggestion is: 1) read an algorithm book and get familiar with strategies to solve problems (e.g. divide-and-conquer, graph algorithm, dynamic programming, etc), and 2) practice writing an high-level idea with your own language. It seems It's also important to write completely working code there. Typically, you're given a simple example, and run with it for debugging. Also, it will be helpful to practice run your own implementation with small examples, which I didn't do before the interviews.

I was assigned a wrong field for system design questions, so I barely answered what interviewers expect. Still, I'm told it would be fine because he understood it wasn't my field. In the last interview, I was asked experience with collaborations, which graduate students are often lack of.

I've just finished interviews, and didn't get the results back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA) in April 2019.

Interview

Applied online and received a call to schedule the telephone interview with an engineer. The engineer was patient and nice, however the question is somehow difficult to get the whole point of it and a little unclear.

Interview Questions

• In a message system, sort out the top K frequently used words by users   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me via email and process from them was smooth. Immediately after expressing my interest in Google, recruiter scheduled a phone call to chat about my interests and some personal information. Next phone interview was scheduled.

Interview Questions

• Given a stream of characters and a keyword, print the keyword if the stream has contiguous character sequence matching the word keyword.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter a few months before I was set to graduate from university.

First there was a non-technical phone screen where I was asked about my interests and future career plans. The next step was to a complete an online coding challenge. After this, I had a technical phone interview with an engineer. They asked me a hard problem that I wasn't able to figure out in 45 minutes.

Had I passed that stage, the next and final step would be an onsite interview. My feeling is that there is some element of luck involved in the technical phone screen. Based on the questions I've seen given to other interviewees, there's quite a bit of variance in the difficulty of questions asked.

Interview Questions

• I'd rather not give out the exact details, but my phone interview problem was a tricky problem involving an array representation of a data structure.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Cambridge, MA) in October 2009.

Interview

Two 1.5 hour long interviews. Mostly asked technical questions on simple algorithms (sorting, search, etc.). Asked to write code. Didn't ask about previous experiences at all. All in all, felt more like a school exam.

One interviewer was friendly, the other seemed bored or tired. Luck of the draw, I suppose.

Interview Questions

• How would you find the most searched for phrase in Google, assuming that you could use 10000 computer in parallel?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

First interview was organized by one recruiter which i did during holiday season and i did well. I was hoping that next step would be a on site interview but got a mail from other recruiter that the first one has left so he will take over and reschedule another phone interview. it was not clear to me if the second interview was due to the recruiter change or ph interview result . Anyways i could not clear second phone screen as i could not wrap up one binary tree puzzle on time

Interview Questions

• Find the lowest common ancestor for BST   4 Answers