Google Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2,576 Interview Reviews

3.4

2,576 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Interview

Had 5 rounds onsite at the Kirkland campus after phone screen. All interviewers were nice and smart (except one who appeared rude). Glassdoor and leetcode helped. Was asked some questions on C++ internals.

Interview Questions

• 1. Strings
    2. Binary Search Tree
    3. Greedy
    4. Graph search
    5. 2D Matrix   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Did an all day interview at Google in CA. Had 5 interviewers grill me on questions ranging from graph theory to binary search tree algorithms. A lunch break where we got some good food and I had time to learn more about Google was nice. The interviews were sadly, mostly about them learning what algorithms you know versus your experience. Very little time to actually learn about where you might actually end up.

Interview Questions

• Implement the Java String.contains method and describe the speed of your implementation.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Submitted my resume and CV online. For the first round, I completed a coding challenge of 2 questions for 1 hour. This is followed by a phone screen through Google Hangout.

Interview Questions

• String manipulation, multiple recursion, scalability, machine learning algorithms   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I was first contacted by a recruiter last year who found my profile on LinkedIn. I told her that I wasnt looking for new positions and that I would reach back after three months. But surprisingly she emailed me exactly after 3 months and i kept postponing and finally decided to take the call. After the initial call I scheduled the phone interview for 4 weeks later. And on the day, the interviewer called me 14 mins late. There was no introduction of any sorts except for the name and he immediately asked me what was the toughest challenge i faced last year, explain in detail the issue like a problem statement and how I resolved it. I was taken back at the question as I wasnt expecting anything of that sort but managed to explain a coding issue i faced in my work project.

And after that he gave me a vague coding question and I had to ask lot of questions back to figure out what he really wants me to do and how the input is given and what should I return (this itself took lot of time). There were hardly any hints and he kept saying yes for everything I told.. nothing like its right or wrong. I explained the solution to him but couldnt finish coding all of it as he ended the interview exact to the min although we started late. But what I found insulting was that at the end he asked me if I had any questions and when I asked something he said he is done with time and cant answer and ended the call abruptly. It was particularly frustrating that I had prepared for 4 weeks with all sorts of algorithmic and data structure questions and end up with a disappointing interview just because of lack of communication from the interviewer. Or maybe this is how the Google does their interviews?
    Guess these interviews depend more on luck than actual abilities to code.
    Although the recruiter was very helpful and supportive but the actual technical phone interview was a disappointing experience.

Interview Questions

• Find the coordinates of the rectangle which is parallel to axis and has minimum area.   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Skipped the phone screen and went straight to onsite interview. Recruiter wasn't in the office that day and there were a few logistical hiccups in the morning but otherwise went fine.

Interview Questions

• Given a 2D matrix find the path with the maximum product.   2 Answers
    • Design an algorithm for a Roomba cleaning bot.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Was good process, just make sure you know your programming concepts for the language you choose for the technical interview. It's not an ideal way to discuss a coding problem over Google docs, but that comes with experience in discussing code.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I had two technical phone rounds. I cleared the first round but was rejected after second round. They asked two design questions and two coding questions in total. The design questions were not framed properly and one of them I felt was actually an algo question. After trying to ask for more details and talking about what all information I would need to solve the problem optimally, he told me that he was expecting a design answer.

Interview Questions

• Design question, coding question related to linked lists.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The process started with a pre-interview call, where a friendly recruiter explained the interview process and later recommended some material to help study for interviews. A week or so later, I had a phone interview that started with a very easy question. I think it was meant to weed out people who haven't coded before, but I'm not sure.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of integers, find the longest sequence of consecutive ascending numbers. Just printing out the length of the sequence was enough.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

two-round interviewing process, each of which is about 45 min long. after two rounds, I was asked to interview again for the 3rd round. the question they asked are not that difficult, and no other types of question, only algorithms and coding.

Interview Questions

• first-round: frog jump problem
      second-round: string problem   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

After completing the foobar challenge, I was contacted by a recruiter and asked if I would be interested in interviewing. The recruiter was fantastic, walked me through how the process would work, the time frame between each stage, and what I could do to prepare. Even though I flubbed the first round technical interview, the interviewer was very nice and did all he could to help me relax and stay on track to answer the questions.