Google Software Engineer Test Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Software Engineer Test Interview Questions

Interviews at Google

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

Interviewers were smart people. Questions were good. The recruiter gave a call first to find out about my technical skill set, background and later set up time for a phone interview.
First phone interview was good, questions asked were a coding question, testing question.
Got feedback from recruiter, saying that they needed to do another phone interview
Second phone interview went well too...but no offer.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

Was first contacted by the recruiter for a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes. A document was shared over Google docs where I had to answer a programming question and type the answer in the doc so the interviewer can see my code. Once you pass that stage, the next round of interview was on campus interviews with 4 different QA engineers with a lunch break in between. The questions were not particularly hard but apparently I didn't do well enough to get the job. 3 out of the 4 QA engineers asked about mostly programming questions while the other asked mostly about QA questions. Not a lot of data structure questions, no linked list or anything that. I did have to show how to do merge sort. The interviewers were all very nice and knowledgeable.

Interview Questions

• How would you test Google search?   Answer Question
    • How do you determine the relevancy of search term within a document?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

My impression is that Google standardizes interviews with a sort of grading rubric. Similar to standardized testing in education, this methods evaluation is biased towards a specific type of personality/skill set.

I went through a phone interview with someone on the Software Test Engineering team setup by a recruiter. Right off the bat, I felt this person was not enthusiastic about the interview. I'm sure due to the shear number of applicants that are interviewed at Google, it gets mundane to have to conduct so many.

At the start of the interview, there wasn't really much of an introduction, it was as if he has a list of questions prepared to ask and he got started right away. I didn't feel like there was any organic conversation that allowed the opportunity to communicate any of my experience or skill set. First question was simple but not well defined, "For the mathematical equation for search bar (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division), how would a test plan be organized and implemented?". I asked a couple questions for clarification and apparently took too long to formulate my answer because his reply was "ok, well that took a while". I correctly answered the brain teaser coding question, but pretty sure I had already failed the "answer a vague question with not enough information to allow a detailed response" portion of the rubric.

At the end of the interview, the interviewer thoroughly answered all of my questions about the team and the position which was nice. But overall throughout the interview I felt that with any questions I asked, the purpose of the reply was more to keep things moving rather than to add clarification. Which was unnecessary considering we finished 5 minutes early.

Interview Questions

• 1. For the mathematical equation for search bar (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division), how would a test plan be organized and implemented?

2. Write a function to locate the first character in a given string which is out of alphabetical order and return the index to that character. (e.g. "dfhka" -> 4) "aBcDea" -> 5   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2007.

Interview

I heard that the interview process was tough to get into Google. Who knew that simply scheduling one would be just as daunting. For a basic phone screen, I was rescheduled 3x, and usually at the last minute. In fact for one of them, the interviewer forgot, and I was rescheduled.

The phone screen wasn't too hard, but they wanted to make sure that interviewers had a solid grasp of web technology and terms like URL (what it stands for, how it works), DNS, what HTTP stood for. While good questions, they had nothing to do w/ testing techniques.

Software Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google in August 2018.

Interview

After application in about one week I have phone conversation with the first recruiter about background and desired position, then in a week another conversation with the second recruiter, more focused on the technical skills and interviewing process. The next step was a remote coding interview using shared google doc.
    Before the interview recruiter sent me a link to interview guideline saying that the main focus should be providing at least one fully working solution with clear and well formatted code and then reviewing it with the interviewer explaining thoughts, ways to test it, corner cases, etc.
    At the beginning of interview I was told that we have a hard time limit - one hour. Interviewer spent about 20 minutes asking non coding questions, like which libraries did I use in my previous work, what challenging tasks I met, etc.
    Then I was given a programming assignment, and due to lack of time, started implementing it by the most obvious way. I was able to finish my solution in about 20 minutes (so 20 min left). Interviewer said, that my code will use too many extra space, though no limitations were given in the beginning.
    We spent more than 10 minutes walking through the code, then interviewer admitted, that except the case, when two corner cases are applied simultaneously, it won't use significant amount of memory.
    After it interviewer said that the solution is fine, but it was assumed the creation a code making an in-place operation (though it wasn't told) and proposed me to provide this kind of solution in 5 minutes left to the end of the hour.
    I wasn't sure of my ability to create the full solution in given amount of time, so just gave a pseudocode algorithm.
    I was denied, as they told "due to insufficient knowledge of CS basics".

Interview Questions

• I am unable to share due to NDA, but it was relatively easy question about changing the order of elements in basic data structure (like array, list, etc.) according the data in the structure and some additional parameters. It wasn't sorting.   1 Answer

Software Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google in May 2014.

Interview

The Hiring Process is pretty much standard, I submit my application on google website and in 2 weeks google recuiter get in touch with me and schedule the phone interview. Basically, we went through my resumes about my past experience.

Interview Questions

• the interviewer ask me to write the code to implement the sqrt function, to be more specific double sqrt(doulbe x). There're quite a few answers if you google it, but the most difficult part is to explain how you can test the code you just write. I didn't do quite well as software testing is not my tranditional area of expertise, what I can think out of my mind is just to check some boundary conditions which obviously is not what the interviewer expected   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online on google website and was contacted by recruiter directly from Google. She was very helpful and thorough in the steps involved. She also sent me separate email on how to prepare (not that specific). She asked my availability for a phone screen in next 3 weeks.
    The interview was 45 mins and consisted of one situation question and then 2 coding questions. Might have been more, if I actually solved the tree one. Also you are expected to write the test cases after your implementation.

Interview Questions

• Print a binary tree (The way it looks). Print root, then print nodes at height 1, then nodes at 2, and so on..   1 Answer
    • Convert string "1234" into a number without using library functions   4 Answers

Software Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google in October 2015.

Interview

Algorithms based questions. The interviewers are very helpful but it will cost you as to whether you get hire or not. You get one software testing question and one code question.

Software Engineer Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

Made an application online for an internship position , was contacted and told am being considered for full-time position . Then two back to back phone interview were scheduled.

Phone Interview 1: Few questions on background and interest , followed by technical Questions

Phone Interview 2: About the same more stress to testing scenarios.

Onsite interview : 4 mostly algorithm questions . Rounds near continuous with a lunch break () ( should be considered an interview as well)

Response : Phone response after two weeks that was not selected.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview 1 : a) Simulate a Queue with stacks ?
      b)Find repeated occurrence of character in a string ?

Phone interview 2 : a) Given a 2D matrix of numbers find the position of number . Constraints of matrix number always in increasing order left to right and top to bottom .

b)When should version control be used . And a tricky discreet math problem ?   13 Answers
    • Onsite Interview 1 a): Write a program to check whether a number is prime . Additional constraints consider negative primes etc.

b) some kind of list merge problem

A list of lists eg : [A,B,C] // unsorted

A= [1,2,3]
      B=[2,3]
      C=[1,2]

Start with List in reverse alphabetical order
      eg:C merge with B removing duplicates then merge this with A doing the same .

Optimize solution

c) Intersection of two Integer lists ?   Answer Question
    • Onsite Interview 2 a): check whether a number is the power of 2

b) Skyline silhouette puzzle .

c) Discussion on uses of hash-tables and trees ?

d) Few general questions on Work and academic background .   5 Answers
    • Onsite Interview 3 a): write a program to find whether a list of integers has a pair whose sum is equal to a give number . More constraints added , negative numbers , duplicates , needed to optimize and even prove worst cast performance .

b) Networking question of Sliding Window over udp.   Answer Question
    • Onsite Interview 4 a): Breadth first Search related graph question

b) Additional graph question related to finding a subgraph with some API specified , needed to extend the prior solution.

c) Question on C/C++ Static Modifier , relation of it to Java.   Answer Question

Software Engineer (Test) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Interview process was very traditional. One of the project member warmed me up with some basic questions, mainly focusing on high school physics' concepts. After probably 15 minutes, the main interviewer walked in with a laptop asking quite similar questions to the first interviewer, in addition to some soft questions.

Overall, I believe it could have been a successful interview on two accounts-

1) I should have meditated before I walked in. :)

2) It would have been nice, if the recruiter didn't try to hide the team/project information, so the candidate can prepare ahead to the type of mindset is required to solve those problems.

First question/comment out my interviewer mouth was- "so, you know which project you are interviewing for, right?"

In any case, it was a positive interview experience. Both of my interviewers were highly professional and patient through out the interview. I would definitely apply for another position at Google.