Google Software Engineer Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 23, 2017

3.5

77 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google in November 2017.

Interview

I went in for a SE Intern position, and they called me back for a third interview. The interviews normally happen 1-2 weeks after they contact you. I decided not to have my interviews back to back, I asked if I could do them 1 day after the other

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Google London.

Interview
    Direct onsite because I interviewed in the past and did well that time. From the time I sent my resume to interview day: 3 weeks. From interview day to offer over the phone: 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Wasn't the most difficult question. Everything what I did they asked.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google in January 2017.

Interview

Written application, technical test and spoken interview. HR reps were friendly and helpful throughout. Correspondence was timely, polite and helpful. Submission of material supporting the application was easy and included support for Google-native technologies including Drive and Docs. Technical tests were generally fair, although later stages are said to be more difficult. Requires good grounding in Computer Science fundamentals. Would apply again, should a position open up.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied online received a Hangout interview invitation. The recruiter was rude. She called me during her lunch break, it was a lot of noise on the background and I had to struggle to hear what she was saying.

Interview Questions

• are you familiar with graph algorithms?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Refereed through Google summer of code program. A recruiter then took my application and setup interviews for me. They also gave a lot of useful interview tips (links and videos). I good book to study with is Cracking The Coding Interview. 2 Google hangout technical interviews. Second interviewer explained the problem badly so be sure to ask him questions if you don't understand.

Interview Questions

• single linked lists, sorting algorithms and complexities   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I had a second phone interview because i could not solve the problem at first interview but i implemented very well. At second interview, i missed the one restriction and also my interviewer didn't warn me. I guess he also missed while i was implementing. One week later, my recruiter said to me my code couldn't solve one restriction and because of that i failed.

Interview Questions

• N different couple go to cinema with 2N different seats. They take their place randomly. You could make a swap operations. Write a code for given input what is the minimum number of swap operations for sitting all couples with their partners? Additionally, be sure that no one swaps more than 2 times.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

There are two steps in the interviewing process:
    #1 - Phone Interview
    #2 - Onsite Interviews.

The phone interview will last ~1h and a software engineer will contact you directly (via hangouts/phone). He will ask you questions about programming problems and general computer science questions (e.g., O notation). Be prepared! There are a lot online resources (e.g., the book "Cracking the Code Interviews") and it is just a matter of reading and practicing. If you feel comfortable with solving problems in online platforms (leetcode, topcode, etc.), then you won't have a bad time during the interview and it will be an interesting talk between two engineers ;)

If you pass in the phone interview, then you'll be invited for the onsite interviews!!! They will arrange everything for you (filghts, hotel, travel expenses, basically everything). I was very well received at the hotel and I felt like being part of Google. The hotel receptionist told me things, like: "since your company is Google you have this and this and that. (...) Since you are a Googler, you can access that and that and that.." It was a very welcome reception and the best part was when I got to my room, I had a letter from Google with my name in it, saying "Thank you for traveling all the way to meet us!".
    About the interviews: they aren't easy and the interviewers will try to crack you up (I did crack in one of them... I couldn't do a simple DFS in a tree!!! A thing that I was really prepared for..." But it is just a matter of sitting down and breathe in and breathe out... calm down, it is the interviewer's role to try to crack you. :D
    Mainly you will have 5 interviews in one day, all of them will start with a problem, you can try to solve it with brute-force, but obviously that you have to reach to a better or an optimal solution. The idea behind the process is not to find if you had reach the final solution, but more on how you get through the problem and how you solve the in-between problems (like different inputs, race conditions, distributed systems, etc.).
    At the end, I must say that I was really really exhausted... However, it was a day to remember forever! It was a pleasure to meet everyone there, to be and see a Google office from inside and, finally, talk and share ideas with all the well-educated and fantastic minds of Google software engineers.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview: Longest Common subsequence in a string and sorting questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

You receive a phone call, then, you are set up to a google engineer, he/she will ask you a coding question, if you succeed, you get to the onsite interview. Then, at the onsite you will be interviewed 5 times along the day, 4 coding interviews and then a final system design interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The interview process was quick, before and afterwards as well. I applied online and I've been recommended by a fried.

However the experience was a vary sad one: while I was describing the first solution that came to mind I have admitted that it is not the optimal one. The interviewer asked me to write it anyway. I started to write the code and after 3,4 minutes I realised what was the optimal way to do it. I asked two times if I should write the optimal solution, but the interviewer insisted to write the first one. After finishing the first solution in about 20 minutes, he thanked me and leaved the interview. ps: i have copied my c# (preferred c# cause i was working at that moment with c#) code in visual studio and executed perfectly fine! not even a single error. Just it was not the optimal solution, but again, he insisted that I should write this one.

While writing the code, the interviewer seemed busy with some other things, didn't even hear some of my explanations. The most weird moment was when he got interrupted by someone else, in the office, and asked how much time it will take us to finish. He answered like 5 minutes but were talking by less than 15 minutes.

I have received a rejecting email by the end of the same day with the classical " you are good and experienced and bla bla.. but you are not a fit for the moment".

Anyway, I was expecting a professional interview at Google, but not! not even close..

Interview Questions

• Display all the numbers from 0 to 1000000. All the digits of a displayed number should be different.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

Complex algorithm and data structures questions. Met with some highly capable interviewers who were clearly good engineers, had some very in depth conversations which were enjoyable. There were a couple of tests and pair programming exercises, these were quite different to usual technical tests so were pretty fun. Offices in London are great, and seemed like a really cool place to work.

Interview Questions

• How do you find if a linked list has a loop?   1 Answer