Google Software Engineering Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Software Engineering Intern Interview Questions

Interviews at Google

3.4

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

had two phone interviews. Both interviews consist of coding for given problems. Only coding..not asked my research or interest area even though I am a phd candidate who mainly research on specific topic.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Got interview from recruiter, since I had participated in one of Google's summer programs. I was scheduled 2 interviews one after the other on the same day. My interviewers were very friendly and down-to-earth.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of (unsorted) integers, arrange them such that a < b > c < d > e... etc.   6 Answers
    • I noted Python as my language of choice and was thus asked a lot about it, including libraries I had not used before. So whatever language you pick, make sure you're an expert on it!   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The hardest part was getting offered the interviews. I applied through the website as well as emailed a contact from my university - about 3-4 weeks later, I heard back from a recruiter. I had two technical phone interviews (not too bad - I felt like luck had a factor) followed by a longer host-matching period. I just went with the first host that contacted me because I liked the position and didn't want to risk not getting an offer in the end.

Interview Questions

• Under NDA - can't talk about these. Reviewing your algorithms book won't hurt, however.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Didn't feel the need to negotiate.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview

I applied for this job and in a month was contacted by a recruiter. He has set two technical interviews one after another and let me choose the date. Both interviews were tech screens (in Google Hangouts), took approximately 45 minutes and had identically the same structure - first 3-4 minutes interviewer introduces himself and lets you quickly introduce yourself, then he asks you one programming question, you need to code your solution in Google doc so that he sees your performance. After that you discuss possible bugs and time/space complexity (pay attention to it, that's really important).

Interview Questions

• Some basic question - in the solution you just need to apply some rule to change the array order   1 Answer

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

FIrst I had two technical interviews, which were back to back, by phone, 45 minutes each. I coded in a Google Doc that was shared with the interviewer. They asked standard factual questions about Java and OOP (which I had stated I was familiar with) and asked me to work through a programming problem in the language of my choice (I chose Perl, the interviewer wasn't familiar but was fine with that). I made some mistakes in my code, didn't check some boundary conditions, the interviewer asked e.g. "what about when x = y", I fixed it, it was fine.
    Then I had two interviews with potential hosts, they asked me what I wanted to get out of the internship, what experience I had with the technologies they used, and how I would approach various research and engineering problems.

Interview Questions

• Google says you're not supposed to repeat specific questions. I don't remember anything anyway. Everything was pretty standard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Interview

2 phone interviews, mostly technical, only a couple of minutes for your own questions at the end and perhaps a brief introduction of your previous experience at the beginning. If the interviews go well, then host matching begins. Different potential hosts interview candidates until they find a suitable match. The host matching is usually just a relaxed conversation.

Interview Questions

• I can't remember the toughest question. Preparing with TopCoder, ACM ICPC or uva online judge should do. Try to keep the conversation going at all times. It's alright to take a pause for a couple of seconds and think, but it's important to always let the interviewer know how we are tackling the problem.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The hiring process was pretty good. I was recruited, so I had a slightly different pathway, but the recruiter was always on top of things, and response time was quick.

Interview Questions

• Low level systems questions, non-traditional questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Interview

Contacted by Google within two weeks from resume submission. Two consecutive phone interviews in 2 hours, each of which lasts for 45 minutes and with one coding question. No behavioral question. The first interview asked extensively about data structures and some language/design questions. The second interview started coding question directly without asking anything else.

Interview Questions

• Nothing needs knowledge of fancy algorithms, e.g. Knuth–Morris–Pratt algorithm. You just need some "street smartness" on practical problems to work out coding problems. Chapter 10 Scalability and Memory Limits in Cracking the Coding Interview will help.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Interview

2 phone interviews plus host matching interview

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Interview

Was contacted by HR almost immediately after applying. I filled out a candidate questionnaire and was scheduled to interview on-campus at my school. The questions were straightforward problems and overall not very difficult (analysis of algorithms, sorting, data structures). They asked me about my past experience, various projects I've worked on, what was the biggest challenge for me writing software. I had to sign a NDA related to interview questions.

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging project you worked on? Explain why.   Answer Question