Google Software Engineering Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Software Engineering Intern Interview Questions

3.4

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valparaíso (Chile)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Valparaíso (Chile)) in October 2012.

Interview

First, a small group of staffers interviews the candidates. Then a second committee reviews all materials about the applicants, including those they submitted on their own behalf as well as interviewer feedback.

Interview Questions

• But that’s not the only way analytics have shaped the process. Google used to conduct many interviews before settling on a job candidate and making an offer. But through analytics, the company has determined that after four interviews, they don’t achieve a much greater degree of confidence about whether the interviewee is a good fit for a position. As a result, they’ve capped the number of interviews that they’ll put a candidate through.

Data also have led Google to conclude that speed is of the essence when it comes to hiring recent graduates.
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I applied both online and at a career fair and was contacted by a recruiter about one week later. My interviews were scheduled by a recruiting coordinator for the following week; I had two back-to-back phone interviews. I signed a NDA so I can't disclose specific questions, but the interviews were almost entirely technical in nature (my two interviewers skipped behavioral questions entirely). Most of the questions dealt with the primary data structures in Java and being able to manipulate or reuse them to achieve some goal (e.g. improve efficiency, modify what the data structure does).

Interview Questions

• Technical questions. One question was about a topic I had not studied and could not fully reason through.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in May 2014.

Interview

Got interview opportunity by talking to university recruiter. Interviewed at HQ with a small team of guys. Asked a lot of CS questions. Took about 2 hours. Did not get offer.

Interview Questions

• Write a method to return all permutations of a string.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I interviewed at Google (Sydney (Australia)) in December 2012.

Interview

Applied online and didn't hear from then for a few months. Received a phone call from HR with a lot of technical questions such as converting binary to numerical numbers. After the initial interview, you receive an email to prepare for the next interview of typing up code on Google docs.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected to answer so many technical questions on the spot.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in October 2011.

Interview

Contacted by an recruiter through email and scheduled an onsite interview

Interview Questions

• One question is regarding coding skills and one is regarding algorithm design. The later one is about graph and is difficult. Didn't figure out the solution myself. The interviewer is nice and offered lots of hints.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied online through their job portal and got contacted by a recruiter about 3 weeks later and was scheduled two technical phone interview. The first round went well but the 2nd one with a different interview was much more difficult. He asked me something about databases and I said I haven't learned that yet(i think it's reasonable considering I am only a freshmen at college) then he changed to another question about bit manipulation, which is also unfamiliar to me.

Interview Questions

• Count the number of bits set in an integer. What is your favorite language and what you don't like about that language.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

I submitted my resume online on their website. A recruiter contacted me within 2 weeks. Interview times are very flexible. Gave me a whole month to pick dates from. I had two phone interviews (45 minutes each) back to back.

Interview Questions

• This was my first technical interview, so I was very unprepared. I will say prepare well. The first interview was not really hard, and the interview help you a lot through the process. Think loud while you are coding (on Google Doc), interviewer will help you, and it allows him to analyze your problem solving skills. It consisted of some String related questions, their efficiencies and way to improve your code.

The second interview was meant to be hard (as the interviewer himself mentioned. It was supposed to check your limit. I will not disclose the questions, as I respect their policy. But know you Data Structures well! Like really well. And also efficiency of algorithms.
      Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google in October 2013.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The whole process went really fast. I had two 45 minutes phone interview. They were really helpful, sent me lots of references for practicing for the interview. Both interviewers were really nice. I was expecting more difficult questions but it was still difficult. It definitely requires lots of practice to do well on this interview. I waited two weeks for the answer. I didn't get an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Was referred by a current employee. Had an initial phone interview with 2 current engineers. Was asked two somewhat difficult questions as soon as the interview started, without any introductions. I found one of the employees very difficult to hear; with a bad phone connection and a thick accent on his side, it was not an ideal situation. I found the recruiters I talked to very accommodating and responsive.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a few testing questions, which was unexpected since I wasn't applying for a testing position.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview

I applied for this job and in a month was contacted by a recruiter. He has set two technical interviews one after another and let me choose the date. Both interviews were tech screens (in Google Hangouts), took approximately 45 minutes and had identically the same structure - first 3-4 minutes interviewer introduces himself and lets you quickly introduce yourself, then he asks you one programming question, you need to code your solution in Google doc so that he sees your performance. After that you discuss possible bugs and time/space complexity (pay attention to it, that's really important).

Interview Questions

• Some basic question - in the solution you just need to apply some rule to change the array order   1 Answer