Google Technical Recruiter Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 29, 2017

3.4

27 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Sunnyvale, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I was recruited via LinkedIn for a Technical Recruiter (FTE) position onsite in Sunnyvale. 1st step was an initial "phone-screen" with the recruiter which was very informal, getting to know me and what my current position entails.
I was notified 2 days later that I would be moving to on-site interviews.
The onsite interview was pretty difficult. I met with 6 different interviewers- it was 4 hours long. The interviews highly emphasized questions surrounding leadership ability and how you can impact higher level people- I would highly recommend being prepared to answer these types of questions.
I then received an email about a week later asking to chat with the recruiter for a status update- I was notified that they would be moving forward with other more qualified candidates.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to utilize your leadership skills to solve a work related problem.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time where you had to influence a decision maker. What was the process for that? What were the results?   Answer Question
  • What are the top 3 skills that a great recruiter portrays?   1 Answer
  • You are in charge of creating a training and development program at Google... How would you set this up? What would you create? How would you evaluate if your program was successful?   Answer Question
  • If you had to create a 90 day plan go a new Googler, what would that look like?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process took less than two weeks. First phone interview, Onsite and Google hangout with Global Lead. Overall experience was very positive. They question to evaluate how good is your problem solving skills. Give examples to support your answers. Be ready to share any leadership experience you had in past.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

It was quite fast, it started with a 20 minute phone interview/screening and then led to setting up an on site interview with 3 different people. Along with a brief tour of the facilities

Interview Questions

• what key words would you use to search for a candidate with x, y, z qualifications   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

Pretty difficult. Asked a lot of scenario based questions. Once answered, they gave a lot of follow up questions to see how you think and to test your problem solving skills.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about to find the top 5 Java Developers in a certain area.   Answer Question

Technical Recruiter Interview

Interview

They asked very basic interview questions. The people I interviewed with were really nice and friendly. The receptionist in the lobby really calmed my nerves before and was super nice.

Technical Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

An agency recruiter reached out to me and did a pre-screen. I was set up with a phone interview with an onsite recruiter. The phone screen was about 25-30 minutes long that consisted of me explaining my background and I was then asked 2 questions. 1. We are building a new engineering building for our newly formed engineering team. Where should we put this building and why? 2. How do you think Google makes their money?

Interview Questions

• Where should we build our brand new engineering building for a brand new team that we are creating.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Background

I submitted my resume through Nelson staffing on LinkedIn on a Wednesday. I was contacted by a Recruiter the next day. We discussed my experience and she informed me of the different positions that she was currently working on and thought my background best matched a Technical Recruiting position at Google. The following day (Thursday) , I was contacted by another Recruiter at Nelson. We also discussed my background and experience and she told me she would submit my resume to the hiring manager.

Phone Interview

One of the Technical Recruiting Leads called me the next day (Friday) for our scheduled phone interview. The phone interview was fairly standard. He asked me how many positions I work on simultaneously. One analytical question he asked me was how I would go about sourcing for five software engineers. He also asked me how many people I expected to call to source for these five positions as well as how many resumes I would send to the managers. He also asked what I was passionate about and what I enjoyed doing outside of work. I was contacted by my second Recruiter at Nelson to coordinate an on-site interview on Monday.

On-Site Interview

On Friday of the following week, I was set for my on-site interview, which I was told would consist of three 1-on-1 interviews with three different Recruiting Leads. Each individual interview lasted 30 minutes long and they were held consecutively with no breaks. The interviews themselves got progressively worse as the day went on. I would definitely offer a five minute break between interviews to use the restroom or whatnot. Another Glassdoor review noted that he was extremely tired by the third interview. I completely agree. It is a bit tiring to talk about yourself with no break for 90 minutes straight. Expect each of them to bring in a laptop and to type on it while you answer their questions.

1) First manager - Friendly - The first interview went well. It was almost conversational and extremely fluid. Standard questions about my experience and my interests.

2) Second manager - Disinterested - Asked me the same questions as the first interviewer but the second interviewer seemed extremely uninterested in what I had to say. It was hard to tell if she was actually listening to the content of my responses and she would even repeat back everything I would say in the form of a question, which came off as very trivializing. She also hardly looked at me when I would answer. Her eyes were mainly focused on her laptop while she was typing. One question that she asked me was, "If Mountain View was the only Google office location, where in the United States would you open a second office and what factors would go into that decision making?"

3) Third manager - Arrogant - The third interviewer came off as extremely arrogant and uncomfortable. He interrupted me several times when I would answer his questions. He also had this pensive look on his face after each of my responses like he doubted my answer. It was fairly condescending. He did ask me two difficult questions including "What is more important - meeting your metrics or a candidate's experience?" and "How would I go about forming a team to create a marketing video for a new Google software product that has not been released yet?" He made it a point to tell me about his background as well including the fact that he went to a top school and was in consulting for several years before his time at Google.

Conclusion

For a group of people that are trying to ensure a positive candidate experience, the overall interview process left me flabbergasted and irritated. I left the interview knowing that I wouldn't accept an offer, even if one was presented to me. In any case, an offer was not extended. Please don't think that I'm one of those bitter interviewees after a difficult job interview. The interview process at Google made me very uncomfortable.

Interview Questions

• How would I go about forming a team to create a marketing video for a new Google software product that has not been released yet?   Answer Question
    • How did you prepare for this interview?   Answer Question
    • If Mountain View was the only Google office location, where in the United States would you open a second office and what factors would go into that decision making?   Answer Question
    • What is more important - meeting your metrics or a candidate's experience?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

The agency reached out for a contract role. I had a phone interview with the agency, then another with Google. They invited me onsite where I met the recruiter who then walked me to a room. I met with two individuals separetely for 30 minutes each and described my day to day responsibilities and fielded questions.

Interview Questions

• What are 7 of our products?   1 Answer

Another offer came in that was full-time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter who conducted a phone screen. Waited a few days for feedback. Recruiter then set up on-site interviews with 4 interviewers. After interviews, recruiter provided minimal feedback on next steps. Total process took about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Asked behavioral questions and general cognitive questions assessing problem solving skills.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Since this is a contract position, the process was not as lengthy as the typical full-time hiring process. I started with a phone interview and then moved onsite where I met with 2 people. From there, I was offered a position. I worked through a staffing agency throughout the process due to it being a contract position.

Interview Questions

• How would you close a candidate with a competing offer at a start-up that has a potential to make $1 million in stock? The Google offer provides $150k in stock.   1 Answer