Google Test Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 1, 2017

2.9

27 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Test Engineer Interview

Interview

On-site interview with about 5 people. Mostly simple matrix coding questions, string manipulation, writing test cases, unit tests. Be sure to ask in detail what is the experience level they looking for the position before the interview. They can reject you later if they feel they can find a candidate with lesser experience (less pay) even though the interview went well, specially for a test engineer position.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA but mostly related to string manipulation, matrix related coding questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Basic algorithms at Onsite i am not writing questions as there is NDA(But questions can be like implement substring method and find index of substring, etc...).
    No personal interaction, just interviewer came and started questions.
    I received 8 offers from other great technology companies in one month and never seen such an un professional interviews.
    Trust me interviewers are immature and all the interviewers that i met are having very poor technical skills. (I am not sure it is only for test engineer interview or that's how Google works).
    I explained multiple negative scenarios and handled error cases. And mentioned my approach before starting my code. Unfortunately after writing code interviewers did not gave any comments they just took photos of my code. In one interview round approximately one interviewer took 15 photos.
    It's like i went to some photo shoot. I know every company do take photo's as a proof, but this is some thing different. Very funny and strange.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (San Jose, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Overall experience was amazing! Got a call from recruiter, since my initial phone interview was good, i was called for on-site immediately. On-site met with 5 different software / test engineers. All interviews were mainly focused on coding capabilities and then writing few test cases. Google has a really high bar to get yourself qualified. Recruiter said i was very close enough but unfortunately did not go through. Overall, recruiter was amazing keeping in touch with me. he followed up with me on Sunday to check if i reached San Jose on time and if checking in to hotel was easy for me. This was amazing experience over all.

Interview Questions

• String manipulation questions, basic data structures, develop test strategy for your team.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Interviewer asked good questions. He also helped me. Overall the experience was good. Questions were not that tough and it was more focused on analytical and programming skills. Interview was 45 mins long and I didn't get the out come by the recruiter. I had to call him up to get the response

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

After having a short discussion on skills, Recruiter set me up some time for a phone screen. Recruiter was very professional and sent me all details beforehand. For the Phone screen, i tried to focus on a lot of hard questions - algorithms, Data Structures, Leet code problems etc, and when the interviewer called, i was pretty nervous. Started with Testing questions - Designing test plan, test cases etc . Then moved on to the coding part where i was expecting a complex problem, but it was a simple string problem and caught me off guard. I explained my approach and refined the expectations of the output. I typed in the code but apparently i missed to add a condition in code for a specific type of string input. Google expects you cover most of the common cases in the code. But we ran out of time and was asked to write some test cases for the code.

Even though it was a simple problem, running against the clock and nerves got to me. The preparation for a google interview really pays off because of the standards. If one can control the nerves and think with a clear mind against a running clock, you could pull it off. Good luck!!

Interview Questions

• NDA. But i can say be prepared with Testing Approaches and clear basics on Data Structures/Algorithms.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Recruiters are very nice, process is very smooth, interviewer was very polite, he ask me questions, then correct me after I enter the answer on google doc

He ask me to write test cases about auto google search, and one coding question

Interview Questions

• 1. write test cases for Google search auto complete
      2. print primary numbers   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Phone screen first with a decent technical question. Phone was slightly hard to hear the interviewer (they seemed to be on speaker). Was asked onsite, where 5 more interviews happened. Great experience overall, even if I didnt get the offer I would've still learnt alot. I delayed my interviews quite a bit (3 month from start to finish) because I had some personal things to take care of, and they were willing to allow me to delay it.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA, but know basic data structures, how to test things, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

phone screen with google doc, 45 mins long, not much question on resume, mainly focus on coding test, ask three question, recruiter was nice and would give hint to help the solving process

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

A recruiter emailed me and set up a time to call, basic resume and interests review. They set up a technical phone screen with a Test Engineer manager. The test engineer probed my knowledge of agile development. They asked me how would I test gMail (and asked about security, and testing performance). Then, they asked me to 'write a method that returns a count of each word in the file' in a shared google doc. I used a dictionary with the words as keys and the count as the respective value. He asked what a unittest was and what the next level up is when it comes to testing.

Interview Questions

• Write a method that returns a count of each word in the file.   1 Answer

Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

A recruiter called me and schedule a phone interview. The interviewer asked me to program on google doc. The question is: Given two int arrays. Find out common numbers and different numbers.
    I used hashtable to implement the algorithm. I spent too much time for the c++ syntax since i haven't used it for couple years.

Interview Questions

• Given two int arrays. Find out common numbers and different numbers.   3 Answers