Google Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 24, 2017

3.4

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

The whole process took about 6 weeks.
    I was contacted by a recruiter, due to my HackerRank profile.

I first had a non-technical phone interview with the recruiter, who:
    - explained about the SRE role and environment,
    - asked about my level of knowledge on approx. 20 subjects (programming languages, technologies, IT skills, CS subjects); these subjects, as well as my resume, helped them determine the content of the upcoming technical interviews
    - asked a few canned questions about algorithms, data structures and Unix internals

Second step was a technical 45 minutes phone interview with a Google SRE, with coding in a share Google doc
    Quickly got a positive feedback on the technical interview by email from the recruiter; she transferred me to another recruiter to schedule the on-site interviews one month later. The other recruiter provided a lot of preparation information for the on-site interviews.

Thirds step was the on-site interview: one day with 5 technical coding/design interviews of 45 minutes with Google engineers + a 45 minute lunch with another engineer. I got a positive impression of the whole day, very friendly and positive attitude from the interviewers.

Finally got a call from the recruiter, one week after the on-site, telling me that the hiring committee had not recommended hiring me. No details given (company policy).

Interview Questions

• Complex design problem of a large scale system. Fortunately, the information provided by the recruiter helped me prepare for such a question.   Answer Question

Workshop and Events Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Was contacted through an agent who arranged the interview. This was a 2 stage interview that took place on Hangout and lasted about 45min-1h. I was interviewed by 3 people, each in different locations

Interview Questions

• How have you managed a difficult relationship with a colleague ?   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied online received a Hangout interview invitation. The recruiter was rude. She called me during her lunch break, it was a lot of noise on the background and I had to struggle to hear what she was saying.

Interview Questions

• are you familiar with graph algorithms?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Took two weeks for them to get back at me and schedule two phone screen interviews, 45 mins each. Interviewer was really nice. The whole process was easy but lengthy.

Interview Questions

• Find all the possible words that a sequence of Morse code letters can represent   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on Linkedin. I had a brief conversation about uni and modules I take and after that I was scheduled with 2 technical interviews on Google Hangouts. One of them was very technical (data structures, algorithms) and the 2nd one was more about problem solving

Interview Questions

• traversing through a binary tree, how to get random numbers with different probabilities   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Refereed through Google summer of code program. A recruiter then took my application and setup interviews for me. They also gave a lot of useful interview tips (links and videos). I good book to study with is Cracking The Coding Interview. 2 Google hangout technical interviews. Second interviewer explained the problem badly so be sure to ask him questions if you don't understand.

Interview Questions

• single linked lists, sorting algorithms and complexities   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online and got called in for an interview. There were two 1:1 interviews over Hangouts on the same day. There was an optional briefing session (also over Hangouts) where the recruitment process was described and questions were answered.
    I was impressed with how much they seemed to want the candidates to be prepared. They give several links to access some preparation materials, including a guide written by Google specifically for the internship recruitment process.

The recruiter and also the interviewers were quite nice. But I think they could have allowed more room to think. I felt that both interviewers sort of had their own line of thought and wanted me to follow it, instead of giving me freedom to approach the problem on my own first. I feel that if the questions were harder, I would have been able to demonstrate my analytical skills better.

Interview Questions

• The first interview started off with some theoretical questions about data structures and ended with a simple coding exercise followed by a bit tougher problem regarding scalability. The entire second interview consisted of one problem. They expect you to answer questions at the end, so have some good questions ready.   1 Answer

Account Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process is quite straightforward but usually depends on the availability of the role and their current headcount. I applied via referral. It took 12 days for them to get back and approve my application. They asked to fill in the short form with the motivational questions: why google. your proud achievement. your availability. etc After they review it, you get an HR confirmation interview that's focused on your general understanding of the role. Why Google? what google does, What account strategist does, what main products do we have, why this role..nothing unexpected. The second stage consists of three interviews with google team members. So far I've done two of them (waiting for another one). The first one is a sales pitch - you're given a particular client and you have to talk over their challenges ( demand decline, slow growth) and suggest adwords solutions. My advice is to learn more about adwords and read success stories and forums so you can identify easily what can go wrong. Also ask follow up questions e.g : What's the traffic been like ? what's the company's pas performance? You will show your kwledge of the clients relationships. The second interview is very role focused and based on understanding of you daily activities. Still waiting for their reply. Hope it helps. They are friendly and open people so it's important for them to see your honesty. Don;t make up things. It's better admit that you're unsure than to lie.

Interview Questions

• -Why Google? What is Adwords? What if you were given a portfolio that consists of 500 clients? How would you manage it? What's your recent challenge? Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

This was a referral by a contact at Google.

Within a few days of sending in my CV, a member of the HR team got in touch to arrange interview slots. The interview process was very slick, and any changes/updates were communicated immediately.

In total, I had two face-to-face interviews (On the job knowledge and Leadership) and two over Hangouts (Cognitive ability and 'Googleyness') around the end of October 2016.

Several weeks passed by without an update, so I chased both my referrer and my recruiter. Both said there had been some delays due to people being out of office. I waited a few more weeks, chased again still nothing.

It is now approaching the end of January 2017 and still no update, despite following up over e-mail/phone.

While I'm not holding my breath for an offer, I am a little surprised that I never heard back either way.

Perhaps I slipped through the net, or maybe my recruiter is just ineffective. In any case, it has been an overall negative experience, and I hope that Google pays attention to this sort of review in order to improve the process for others.

Interview Questions

• Google do not allow candidates to share details of interview questions. If you get through to the interview stage, your recruiter will give you a good idea of what to expect for each of the four interviews.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I had 2 telephone interviews with Google - the first was the normal hangout session where I was asked the standard questions about my experience. The second was a problem solving interview, which confused me as I knew this wasn't the standard Google interview format (usually next stage is in person meeting). The interview consisted of 3 hypothetical questions - 2 of which had nothing to do with recruitment and the aim was to see how your thought process worked. My interviewer phrased questions very negatively e.g. 'Can you not think of anything else?' As a recruiter myself, I would never phrase questions like this as it leaves a bad impression with the candidate (which it did with me). I also spoke to several people in the Dublin office who were cold and unhelpful. Overall, even if Google wanted to proceed with me - I wouldn't have accepted as the interview process is not candidate focussed at all, and the interviewers were uninspiring.

Interview Questions

• 1) 'You are asked to lead a training programme at Google and the attendance is low - what do you do next'

2) 'How do we check that our customers are happy with our product'
      Answer Question